Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Short sweet six (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/296547-short-sweet-six.html)

Beverly 05-09-07 07:38 PM

Short sweet six

I've been itching to get out on the new mountain bike but I just haven't had the time this week with the long work hours and commute. I couldn't take it any longer tonight and I rolled it out of the garage and rode out to the Y just outside town.

I stopped a couple times to adjust the seat height but that's the only adjustments needed. I really like the way it handles and it rides much faster than I was expecting with the knobby tires. I didn't have a computer on it but felt I was reaching some decent speeds.

Since the mountain bike park won't be open until early fall I'm thinking about putting some slicks on it and using it to do some paved trail riding. It would also be a good bike for hauling the granddaughter in the trailer.

The shopping list for this bike just keeps growing - computer, new tires.......

MichiganMike 05-09-07 07:47 PM

Sounds great. I am seriously thinking about getting a mountain bike next year. I rode some curvy, hilly trails here in Colorado Springs this week that would have been tons of fun on a real mountain bike. What type did you get? I can't believe I'd ever consider getting one, but I'm really considering it. I hear you on all the "extras".

Beverly 05-09-07 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MichiganMike
Sounds great. I am seriously thinking about getting a mountain bike next year. I rode some curvy, hilly trails here in Colorado Springs this week that would have been tons of fun on a real mountain bike. What type did you get? I can't believe I'd ever consider getting one, but I'm really considering it. I hear you on all the "extras".

I bought a Trek 4300 WSD. I guess I'll always be a Trekkie - it's my 3rd one:)

The Weak Link 05-09-07 07:52 PM

My mountain bike is a GF Wahoo, with Panaracer Fire Tires 2.1, a Thudbuster seatpost (best invention since the garage door opener), and I changed the fork from the stock Rock Shox Judy to a Manitou Black Platinum Air. It's funny, for the first two years biking was more of a war than a pasttime. All of a sudden it's just easier. I've actually popped a few log jumps that I could never do before.

I think I like road biking better but nothing beats going over an obstacle and then realizing that, yes, you are still alive. It's a rush for sure.

Beverly 05-09-07 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link
My mountain bike is a GF Wahoo, with Panaracer Fire Tires 2.1, a Thudbuster seatpost (best invention since the garage door opener), and I changed the fork from the stock Rock Shox Judy to a Manitou Black Platinum Air. It's funny, for the first two years biking was more of a war than a pasttime. All of a sudden it's just easier. I've actually popped a few log jumps that I could never do before.

I think I like road biking better but nothing beats going over an obstacle and then realizing that, yes, you are still alive. It's a rush for sure.

I doubt I'll be jumping anything higher than a twig laying across the trails:eek: I'm hoping to take it on the Allegheny Passage and C&O Trail next year. I did part of these trails on a hybrid last summer and there were places a mountain bike would have done better.

I know I like road biking better but I'm really looking forward to some slower rides on dirt trails. It really takes me back to my childhood days:)

stapfam 05-10-07 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Beverly
I doubt I'll be jumping anything higher than a twig laying across the trails:eek: I'm hoping to take it on the Allegheny Passage and C&O Trail next year. I did part of these trails on a hybrid last summer and there were places a mountain bike would have done better.

I know I like road biking better but I'm really looking forward to some slower rides on dirt trails. It really takes me back to my childhood days:)

Don't worry- you will be. Along with the lying the bike down in the deepest muddy puddle you can find- and you are not a true mountain biker till the Scars come on the forearms and legs.

Mountain biking is fun. The more you get into it- the more you realise what those very low gears are for. Not only going up hills- They also help in the 6" of mud that will be blocking your trail in the winter. Now as to jumping on the bike. It is a skill you have to aquire. It will initially just be a slamminto a 4" log and bounce over it. Then you will find yourself lifting the front wheel a bit to help you get over the 6" steps and just the rear wheel slamming. Then it will be the full bunny hop to get over the Dog Turd that you don't want splattering your clothing and then it will be--Well it never stops. Skills, like everything will be learned. Mostly when you don't expect it. I may be a lot slower than some of the riders I get cajoled into riding with but my bike experience and skills get me out of a lot of difficult situations that the youngster cannot cope with. Mostly it is using my brain and it is surprising how many times it gets you out of trouble when the ego says have a go. Only problem is downhills. That is when you get the red mist come over and you forget everything your brain told you not to do.

Beverly 05-10-07 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam
Don't worry- you will be. Along with the lying the bike down in the deepest muddy puddle you can find- and you are not a true mountain biker till the Scars come on the forearms and legs.

I hear ya!! I was watching some video of mountain biking recently and I found myself thinking "Wow! That looks fun" :eek: :eek:

SaiKaiTai 05-10-07 12:55 PM

Ah yes, I remember the first time I successfully hopped a curb. What a thrill!

BluesDawg 05-10-07 01:24 PM

Glad to see you getting the bike dialed in and taking the first few rides. But I want to encourage you to find some dirt to ride it on, not just paved paths and roads. I'm sure the shop that sold you the bike can tell you about some good places with trails suitable for a novice off-roader. You don't have to jump right into some of the crazier stuff the bike is capable of right away, but don't play it too safe. Mountain bikes can be used on the road, but they will produce way more smiles in the dirt.

Beverly 05-10-07 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Glad to see you getting the bike dialed in and taking the first few rides. But I want to encourage you to find some dirt to ride it on, not just paved paths and roads. I'm sure the shop that sold you the bike can tell you about some good places with trails suitable for a novice off-roader. You don't have to jump right into some of the crazier stuff the bike is capable of right away, but don't play it too safe. Mountain bikes can be used on the road, but they will produce way more smiles in the dirt.

There are some dirt trails in the state parks and I'm hoping to be able to visit them in the next couple weeks. This is the closest one and looks like it might be a good place to start.
http://www.johnbryan.org/