User Tag List

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dropped by the peloton

Drove down to the middle of the next county yesterday after work for a club "training ride". Haven't been on a club ride for 10-15 years, other than the 5,000 cyclist Hilly Hundred every fall. Underestimated how long it would take to get there, and arrived just before the group left. 30-40 riders, all on drop bar, skinny tire bikes. "Road bikes" they call them these days. Me on my recumbent. hmmmm. The pack took off. Passed the very few slower than me -thought maybe I could catch the back of the main group but no such luck. Dropped by the peloton - nope, was never in contact with it - and then dropped by a couple of guys who also couldn't catch the pack. So, I had a nice solitary ride until met up with a guy who had taken a shorter option. We both took the next shorter option and enjoyed the ride in the country. When I got back to the start, I noticed that a lot of the fast young guys on fancy bikes looked to be older than me! Yikes. I rode 19.5 mi. at 16.7mph, probably a personal best, but I guess I gotta get faster.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where in Indiana was the ride? I know the hills around Brown and Monroe Counties can slow you up a tad , so that 16.7 wouldn't be a bad average.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's an active imagination at work here, but I can just hear the comments in the peloton.... "Come on man. We got to step it up here. We can't let a bent rider hang with us." If it was a personal best for you, I'd say you are getting faster. Now the benchmark for the next personal best has risen.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM
    I guess I gotta get faster.
    Or not. Everyone passes me.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM
    Yikes. I rode 19.5 mi. at 16.7mph, probably a personal best, but I guess I gotta get faster.
    You should be proud of the personal best....don't worry about being dropped by the peloton.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
    Where in Indiana was the ride? I know the hills around Brown and Monroe Counties can slow you up a tad , so that 16.7 wouldn't be a bad average.
    Johnson County. Flat, flat, flat. No downhills to make up time on. Or, uphills to lose time on.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will never catch a peleton unless they are slacking or waiting on a stop light. A large group is way too efficient for an individual or even two people to catch. This is why it is so important to hang on to a wheel and not gap. Once a gap develops you are now riding without the aid of drafting and the group will be rotating pulls with rested riders. Watch all of the pro events how often does a breakaway succeed.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No matter how fast you get, there will still be faster riders around, especially some of the ones who are good at peloton riding. I ride with a club every Thursday, and its peloton drops me like a bad habit on the first hill. Riding with faster riders is a great way to make yourself faster. Keep chasing that peloton, and congrats on the personal best!
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing the TRIRI in Indiana next month. If they think I'm doing 16 mph they are all wrong...that's...like... maybe my TT speed, if I ever did a TT.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho
    I'm doing the TRIRI in Indiana next month. If they think I'm doing 16 mph they are all wrong...that's...like... maybe my TT speed, if I ever did a TT.
    TRIRI isn't a race - or a training ride. Have fun.

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sound to me that you did really well. I've found that peletons are made up more with the racing types than the everyday health/fitness/fun riders. I'm very happy when the crowd of drafters leave me. Then I can go as fast or as slow as I want, stop when I want, etc.
    Remember, too, that recumbent bikes are about comfort, not necessarily speed, although I know some bent drivers that always lead the pack. When riding my bent I see much more than the upright people, and routinely carry binoculars and sit back and enjoy the view, the birds, etc. I seem to go as fast as the average biker, and in my humble opinion it sure beats hunching over, watching your front tire go round and round and constantly being obsessed with speed, cadence, etc. I'm no racer, but each to his/her own. Unless you are into racing or a real fitness freak trying constantly to better yourself, don't even bother to check your average speed and all the other stuff that your computer tells you. To me its interesting, but thats about it!
    My wife and I ride (she has a lightweight Trek carbon fiber road bike screamer and I have a 35 + pound LWB bent) together all the time and don't even try to stay together on rides or tours, and it's interesting at the end of the day, how little different our average speeds and all that stuff is. When I tell her I watched a red bellied woodpecker or forked tail flycatcher in a tree or a badger digging holes, she always kicks herself for not being able to scan around and see all the other things that are out there. Not that a hard core racer would care about stuff like that, but each to his/her own. It would be a pretty dull monotonous world if we were all alike!

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all end up settling on what type of riding we prefer, and it's very likely to change over time, and many of us like to mix in different kinds of riding. That's as it should be, and one of the wonderful aspects of riding.

Pacelining is a specific skill, though, with pacelines able to maintain a faster speed than the individuals in it could do on their own. And recumbents have a different speed profile than upright bikes, too. It takes a really strong recumbent rider to overcome that well enough to stay with a paceline of uprights, and mix well enough not to cause problems for the other riders; I'm certainly not there yet (if ever).

But I am enjoying the pursuit of getting stronger, so I can't claim to be one of those who rides mainly for the casual enjoyment of it. Chasing a paceline is a good way of gaging your progress (how long did it take them to drop you today, how long did you keep them in sight, etc), as is checking your time over a frequent course, and there are many other benchmarks we can check and pursue.

I, myself, enjoy chasing a paceline now and then. But, I suspect that riding in one will never be a strength, so I'm trying out lots of other stuff, too. Did I ask about randonneuring (it's fun being senile, isn't it)?
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I caught a paceline, I wouldn't know what to do (on a 'bent). Catching a paceline is hypothetical at this point, anyway.