User Tag List

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Latest ride--need input evaluating it.

I did a solo 41 mi. ride yesterday (included a 1/2 hr. lunch stop) here in eastern CT. The ride included approx. 3,000 ft. in elevation and was done at 15.1 mph. Given that it's the beginning of the season for me and I will be 61 next month, I was feeling pretty encouraged. Just wondering if I'm fooling myself (I tend to be an optimist) or this is actually a sign that my training is coming along nicely.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19
    I did a solo 41 mi. ride yesterday (included a 1/2 hr. lunch stop) here in eastern CT. The ride included approx. 3,000 ft. in elevation and was done at 15.1 mph. Given that it's the beginning of the season for me and I will be 61 next month, I was feeling pretty encouraged. Just wondering if I'm fooling myself (I tend to be an optimist) or this is actually a sign that my training is coming along nicely.
    Your training is coming along nicely.

The real question is

"What were your 'smiles per mile'?"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Your training is coming along nicely.

The real question is

"What were your 'smiles per mile'?"

I had a great day. Scared up a couple of Whitetailed deer and just enjoyed the farms and woods along the way. My lunch stop was at a General Store in Hampton, CT, a lovely old New England village. At one point I thought about being retired and 61 yrs. old and the day was all mine. As far as I can tell this is Paradise. When I got home I took my Ducati out for a rip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many, many riders would be thrilled to have a ride like that. The smiles per mile (or in some cases because the ride was so hard, smiles after the ride) is what really counts.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pitiful! You should sell your bike and never ride again.

Just kidding. Great ride. Keep it up.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a very good sign the training is working
    =============================================================

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, the ride stunk. It's manure spreading time around here and the results are "odiferous." In terms of the elevation, is that considered a hilly ride, moderate or what? I've never actually known (except by my body) how hilly my rides have been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good, but the more important question is - did your socks match the color of your bike?

That sounds like a good average speed for such a route without knowing it. I've been training a fair amount in the last couple of months and on a 56 miler this past weekend , my average was 15.8. The actual number is less important to me than perceived progress, I few months ago my average on that route was 15. So I try to measure personal success by comparison, this recent result shows me my work has paid off. I think I would have averaged over 16 if the wind hadn't picked up near the end.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby c
    Sounds good, but the more important question is - did your socks match the color of your bike?
    Funny you should ask. One sock was white and the other gray. And, damn, the bike is actually gray with white lettering, Masi Gran Criterium S. Do you have like ESP or something?

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with the smell of manure. I admit to a bit of sickness here, but I also love the smell of barns being opened up for the spring (except hogs, which really really stink). I think smells of farming are a reconnection to the natural world for me as well as a reminder of my childhood growing up in a smallish farming community in Northern Illinois. Your 41 miler was really good, I been fighting that 15 mph barrier for a couple of years now. Keep on pedaling!
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I judge my progress after a long ride is: how I feel?, do I sleep without cramping? and do I want to ride again the next day? I'm 56 and my longest this year is 65 miles (only 1500 ft climbing). I'm most pleased when I can ride 40 - 50 miles, 3 consecutive days and not have lasting soreness.

Sounds like your cardio endurance is good, don't neglect other health issues.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of the elevation, is that considered a hilly ride, moderate or what? I've never actually known (except by my body) how hilly my rides have been.
    How hilly is relative. Personally, I would call that very hilly. However, jppe will post next, and call you a flatlander.

Anyway, it sounds to me like your training is going great. Good work!
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.