Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Saturday morning ride (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/296710-saturday-morning-ride.html)

Charlie P 05-10-07 08:21 AM

Saturday morning ride

Whats not to love riding on a Saturday morning in an around the neighborhoods of San Antonio. So many people like to ride the country roads to get away from everything and don't misunderstand me I do too. But my Saturdays morning rides are special this is when I get to ride by the garage sales and do a quick look to see if that next good deal on a bike is somewhere to be found, but most of all when I am riding on the streets of the city that is when I get my biggest treat and get to smell what is being cooked in those wonderful south Texas kitchens for family breakfast. Tacos and fried foods everything my Doctor doesn't want me eat anymore. Sometimes its nice to slow down and see and smell the sights in your town.

Jet Travis 05-10-07 08:25 AM

True that. There's a bit of zing to riding around my college town where I work instead of in the countryside, where I actually live. I admit part of that zing is having to remain alert enough so that I don't get squashed by a bus or by a kid yakking on a cellphone to his girlfriend.

As I read the above words, I realized I am a member in full of the 50+ generation.

Monoborracho 05-10-07 08:44 AM

Despite being a native of the state we still take one week per summer and go to SA. Its traditional for us. Always two days at Schlitterbaun, one day rafting or canoeing, and stay in downtown SA. But alas, the kids grow up and last summer we couldn't get them all rounded up so just wife and I went, stayed at the Hyatt resort, and took our bikes. We did the Mission trail from one end to the other. We also spent one morning riding around King William area and had great fun. If I could make a living with a pen I think that's where I'd live.

Nothing beats a good bean and potato taquito for breakfast.

Digital Gee 05-10-07 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie P
Whats not to love riding on a Saturday morning in an around the neighborhoods of San Antonio. So many people like to ride the country roads to get away from everything and don't misunderstand me I do too. Sometimes its nice to slow down and see and smell the sights in your town.

Most of my rides are around neighborhoods in San Diego, and I love 'em. Actually, I have yet to take a bike out into the country but maybe I will soon. I love riding in some of my neighborhoods and I really, really love riding downtown on the weekends.

BSLeVan 05-10-07 09:02 AM

I too love to ride around the residential neighborhoods where I live. It reminds me of when I was a kid and we lived in a neighborhood where people actually walked to get places. You needed a loaf of bread, you walked to the corner store. Your mother needed to give Mrs. "X" a message down the street, she sent you to deliver it. I guess I'm just nosey by nature, but riding in neighborhoods slows things down enough that you can see how others live...

BluesDawg 05-10-07 10:15 AM

I like in-town and neighborhood rides, but I love riding in the countryside.

stapfam 05-10-07 11:23 AM

Naaa. I live in a town and there is nothing better than getting up on the hills for a breath of fresh air. A bit too fresh occasionally with the cattle but it is still good. I have sorted out some Road routes now that miss a lot of the tourist traffic so I am even getting less annoyed by the pollution of cars. Just have to stop the wind assistance getting too heavy from the other riders around me that had a carbo meal of beans the previous night.=Or is that the cattle again.