User Tag List

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rode in the rain!

Thirty years ago, that wold not be news for me. Last night on my 30 mile ride a squall came up, and I ended up in some pretty hard rain and wind. I first headed for a nearby overhang porch on an under construction building. After about 5 minutes there, I remembered that I had a waterproof light jacket in my "trunk", so I put that on and got going. It only rained for about 15 more minutes, then turned pretty decent. I discovered that its not bad riding in the rain (I used to really like it), and my Shimano 105 long reach brakes work really great in the rain.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always enjoy it when it rains, you kind of end up in your own little world. I don't like riding behind someone when it is raining however, too much muck in he face. Lightening is also something I have to worry about as it can get kind of hairy sometimes. Big thing is watch you speed going into the turns, last year after a rain ride I took the traffic circle in my area too fast and the bike slid right out under me.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a light breathable rain jacket strapped to the bike this time of year. I'm finding it's no big deal to ride in the rain, esepcially when it's warm like this. I kind of like it. Go figure. One of the advantages of a Brooks Saddle is the eyelets on the saddle that scream strap me baby!
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Takes 40 years off my state of mind.

(Forum's acting weird. Hope this isn't a double post.)
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really enjoy hiking in the rain, especially a light rain. Do it a few times every year.

But I have not ridden a bike in the rain in 30+ years. My biggest issue is my eyeglasses. It's not that fun when you can't see. Second issue is that most of my riding is on limestone bike trails - they are very messy (and soft) in the rain.

When hiking it isn't a problem to keep my eyeglasses dry and walking on mud is easier than riding on it.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, guess the glasses thing is the reason I don't care to ride in the rain. I am not against it but don't go looking for it either. ... ... ... ...peace

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first 10 miles of my 35 mile ride Sunday was in a torrential downpour. The rest was off and on drizzle. I had a ball, as did most of the 150 or so riding with me. The glasses weren't much of a problem. Most of the time the rain kept them clear. A couple of times when drops collected on the lenses or they fogged up, I wiped them with my glove. I cleaned them at rest stops. Not really an issue.
    The only problems I saw were when people didn't know to cross RR tracks at a 90 degree angle. That's a good policy anytime, but in the rain it is essential. Most of us were fine, but a few hit the pavement when their tires slid on the slick rails.
    Rain is like anything else, you just have to take what the world throws at you and deal with it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd
    Yea, guess the glasses thing is the reason I don't care to ride in the rain. I am not against it but don't go looking for it either. ... ... ... ...peace
    I only need reading glasses but I did a wet ride many years ago- 10 hours of rain and my riding partner wears glasses. He was well prepared so in went his contact lens's and he wore clear cycling glasses over the top. Wish I had taken my reading glasses though as He couldn't map read. Our 80 mile trip finished up as 115 as we made a few diversions when he took the wrong trails. Incidentally- That was the ride when my computer registered 79mph- up a hill. That is the problem with rain. Electronics as in computers don't like it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    That was the ride when my computer registered 79mph- up a hill. That is the problem with rain. Electronics as in computers don't like it.
    I didn't know Lucas made cyclometers...
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl
    I didn't know Lucas made cyclometers...
    I remember when they first started putting headlights on motorcycles that blinked in the daytime (for visibility I guess). I kept thinking everyone was buying Triumphs.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit
    Thirty years ago, that wold not be news for me. Last night on my 30 mile ride a squall came up, and I ended up in some pretty hard rain and wind. I first headed for a nearby overhang porch on an under construction building. After about 5 minutes there, I remembered that I had a waterproof light jacket in my "trunk", so I put that on and got going. It only rained for about 15 more minutes, then turned pretty decent. I discovered that its not bad riding in the rain (I used to really like it), and my Shimano 105 long reach brakes work really great in the rain.
    Reminds me of my first tour and my first bike ralley.

First tour: rain predicted. Asked a friend to park at his office to leave bike on a circuitous route. He told me first stop was 24 miles. Being as we were getting to his office at 2pm to park the car, I thought all would be easy. When we got the directions to where we would get on the main route, I knew we were in trouble. It was in Feb., raining like hell, in the hill country in Texas, my partner had just had a baby (not mine) 3 months earlier, and the first sign we saw after riding 12 miles was, "Bandera 29 miles." Did I mention it was in the hill country????????? I learned why they call it the Hill Country.

My first bike rally, there were about 800 participants. They thunderstorms came. The rain was horizontal. 150 +- turned around in the first 3 miles. The wind lasted about an hour. The ride kicked my butt, but I finished.

Conclusion:

If I can avoid the rain, (not showers) I don't try to ride.

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll ride in the rain if I have to. Enjoy it? Yer nuts, all of you. I don't dislike it, or hate it, and I get wet enough in dry weather due to my ability to sweat in a freezer (thanks Dad), but I can do without the obligatory bike wash afterwards, climbing into wet shoes the next day, having to change tubes in a downpour (done that, you don't need to try it yourself, it's as mucky as you think it might be), and getting home to find that my nice wallet is now a sodden mess (I warned my gf it was in for a hard life when she gave it to me).

Rain - there are times when I wished I lived in Camelot ... where it only rains at night according to the song

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick wallet, camera, cellphone, etc in Ziplock baggies. I keep a bunch of 'em with my bike stuff and use them over and over.

Do you guys take the seat post out of your bike and then hang the bike upside down to dry out? I hadn't heard of it, but that's what they say to do after a rain, on the Lemond website.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding in rain is all about proper clothing. Above F60 there is not much of an issue. I do not mind being wet and warm.
    Below F60 requires proper clothes. Leggies, shoe covers, rain jacket and thermal underwear are needed to be comfortable.
    I biked a lot in Florida winter, above 60's, and could not care less if I got wet.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found that brakes take a couple of seconds to dry the rims before the bite so I try to remember to brake early when things are wet. I also go around corners a bit slower. Another thing I do is I assume that all puddles are about 10' deep and avoid them.

Now I don't like starting out in the rain. But I rather enjoy riding in it. Rain has a nice fresh smell all of its own and riding in it has a feel like no other. It is a bit hard to describe. It sort of makes me feel more in tune with the road and the weather. Maybe the feel of the rain just makes me pay attention to it and that causes the feeling.

Of course, cleaning off the bike afterwards and cleaning and lubing the drivetrain is something I could do without.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding in the rain is one of those things you dread, don't want to do and it's a hassel cleaning up after it. But the actual riding in the rain, while it is happening, is ususlly not so bad and sometimes is downright enjoyable. Riding in rain and getting cold or slipping on oily roads or slick tracks and crashing is never enjoyable.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    Riding in rain and getting cold or slipping on oily roads or slick tracks and crashing is never enjoyable.
    Should we start a poll on this?