Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ride Of Silence™ Will Not Be Quiet

http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php

Has anyone heard about this? Sounds like a good thing to do. I'm seeing if I can generate some interest locally.

DATE: May 16, 2007
    TIME: 7:00 pm
    WHERE: Hundreds of locations world wide

Join cyclists worldwide in a silent slow-paced ride (max. 12 mph/20 kph) in honor of those who have been injured or killed while cycling on public roadways.
    WHY DOES THIS SITE EXIST?

* To HONOR those who have been injured or killed
    * To RAISE AWARENESS that we are here
    * To ask that we all SHARE THE ROAD

THE RIDE OF SILENCE™ WILL NOT BE QUIET

On May 16, 2007, at 7:00 PM, the Ride of Silence™ will begin in North America and roll across the globe. Cyclists will take to the roads in a silent procession to honor cyclists who have been killed or injured while cycling on public roadways. Although cyclists have a legal right to share the road with motorists, the motoring public often isn't aware of these rights, and sometimes not aware of the cyclists themselves.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might do it, but the ride starts at 7 p.m. and they are (smartly) requesting or requiring you to bring a bike light, which I don't have.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning to set ours up as a 1/2 hour ride. We have good light until around 8:00.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're doing ours up this way on the 16th at 7pm also and it will be a 8 mile ride. We had a good turnout last year-riding single file really stretched out the line and made it very impressive. I was touched by the event.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php

Has anyone heard about this? Sounds like a good thing to do. I'm seeing if I can generate some interest locally.
    Yes, I am organizing the local ride. We had a conflict because the LiveStrong ride was the same day. We compromised and moved ours later. The cool thing is that both rides are doing the same path, so one way its the LiveStrong and the other its the Ride of Silence.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got one in Louisville. I intend to be there.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a decent turnout considering the short notice. It was a very different experience riding in formation so slowly and without speaking. We will definitely do it again next year with more planning and more publicity.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The event up this way had a 50% increase in riders over last year!! We had 60 riders. There was much more publicity and response this year so it looks like the effort is off to a great start. A nice article ran in the local papers. Many thanks to the local law enforcement for the two motorcyclists that lead the group.

Here's one picture that shows the group while riding and a link to the article in the local paper. It's hard to see in the picture but the line of riders stretches out across the road to the left back into the distance. It's amazing how far you can stretch a single file line of 60 riders......

http://www.gastoncountycyclists.com/...nce5-16-07.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images