Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I took a BIG chance today

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 06:48 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I received a new set of cycling shorts in the mail yesterday and decided to wear them on the 100 mile ride today. I knew I'd either be pretty happy or irritated as heck at the end of the ride. The last thing you want is a pair of shorts chaffing your sensitive areas not far into a ride!!

Fortunately I got really, really lucky. I really like the new shorts. They were very comfortable and helped alleviate some pains I was having from my other model-particulary numbness around my sit bones. I ride sitting down a lot-not too much out of the saddle.

The padding is just the perfect amount and type for me. They're the most expensive pair of shorts I've purchased but when you're sitting in the saddle for 6-7 hours they appear to be a very necessary item!! Time will tell about durability.

The cut is a little strange for me but they seemed to work okay. The legs were a little large while standing but were just right when riding. When I first tried them on I thought they were a pair of bibs gone wrong......the waist came up almost to my chest!! Well maybe not that high but much higher than normal. Maybe I just needed the next size down but I haven't been that size since junior high!!!!

If anyone is intersted they are a pair of Descente's and I think they are the classic pro model. Like saddles, shorts are a personal choice but these are on my preference list for now.

Last edited by jppe; 05-12-07 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-11-07, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I learned in a hurry that it doesn't take a lot of miles to figure that shorts make a difference.
Trying them out like that was very brave. Glad it worked OK.
Old 05-11-07, 07:50 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What shorts did you get, jppe? And congrats on your amazing ride!
Old 05-11-07, 08:26 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Resistence is futile. You will be assimilated. Then you will wear bibshorts.
Old 05-11-07, 09:20 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
What shorts did you get, jppe?
Nevermind. I see the answer was right in front of me. (You know your a BF addict when you start answering your own posts)
Old 05-11-07, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm taking it you have never tried this brand of short/pad before so you are a real brave guy. What would you have done 25 miles in and the shorts were killing you instead of being great? Go nekeed?

When I try out something like a saddle or new shorts it always is on a very short spin or even with the bike on a stationary trainer.
Old 05-12-07, 10:45 AM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have come to appreciate good shorts more and more. As many, I started out 5 years ago with a pair of $19 shorts. Moved up to $50-60 when I started riding longer distances. Now, $100 is the norm. My favorite shorts are Giordana Tenax. I also have a pair of the more expensive Giordana Power, but like the Tenax a bit better. A new pair of Louis Garneaux's are great, too. I have three pair of the same Performance shorts that I really like, comfortwise, but they are not as heavily padded for long rides. Hint: Don't wear the same style short three days in a row on a multi-day ride. You can't help but end up with "grooves".
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 05-12-07, 10:50 AM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For long rides a little of the specialized buttr cream, wipe on stick, or cocoa butter also helps. Of course, the shorts are made to wear commando - briefs ride up and chafe.
Old 05-12-07, 11:20 AM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What would you have done 25 miles in and the shorts were killing you instead of being great? Go nekeed?

friend of mine sent a series of pictures of a ride from France where all the bikers are painted...cause they got no clothes on... ?comfortable? who knows, i could not interview them.