Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

To Mom's

Old 05-13-07, 05:14 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
To Mom's

Here's hoping you have a terrific day and receive all the accolades you deserve today. You are truly amazing people.

I have been blessed to have had a terrific and very supportive Mom. One of the smartest people I know. Got her Masters Degree late in life. Learned to use a PC/Laptop at age 80. Wrote a book after 80+. Nursed my Dad through Alzheimers. Last remaining survivor of a family of 8. She is certainly not perfect-has many unique traits but that makes her Mom. Thanks for being there Mom!!
Old 05-13-07, 07:44 AM

Bikes: Not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jppe
I have been blessed to have had a terrific and very supportive Mom. One of the smartest people I know. Got her Masters Degree late in life. Learned to use a PC/Laptop at age 80. Wrote a book after 80+. Nursed my Dad through Alzheimers. Last remaining survivor of a family of 8. She is certainly not perfect-has many unique traits but that makes her Mom. Thanks for being there Mom!!

I still love my Mom for the support she gave me & my 3 brothers through our young life. She raised 4 eagle scouts, & I was first to go to college (G'father asked me "Why? I hear you have to Pay???). She was always there till my father developed Alzheimers. He died 10 years ago at an early age of 76. Alas, his care & demise destroyed her. Despite the excellent care we give her, all we hear now is 'I just want to die'.

But here's to you Mom, I still love you for the person you were. All in all I was very fortunate to be born in our family.
Old 05-13-07, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hopefully, this will become a long thread in praise of our Moms. Mine was loving and selfless, fun and insightful. She came to live with me at the end of her life and, even then, transformed, for me and the kids, our house into a home. Everything from cookies, to afternoon homework help, to teaching the kids how to ride the muni bus, to putting on bandaids and listening to all our problems. She always admonished me to "watch out for trucks" when I went out riding.

After a long illness she met with courage, Mom died here at home with me holding her hand. I realized a lot about parenting and life and God that night.

Thanks, jppe, for your thread-- it focused some thoughts for me this morning. And I'll be extra sure to watch out for trucks when riding this afternoon.

And you're right, Red Baron, death and current separation does not stop the love that beams both ways.
Old 05-13-07, 08:58 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
My Mama continues to inspire and amaze me. At 74, she may have slowed down a little, but she is still a bundle of energy making sure everyone and everything around her is taken care of. She loves her family and she loves the world.
She was a Registered Nurse who became an administrator. In the 60s, she was an active proponent of racial integration in the state psychiatric hospital where she worked. She continues to be active in her church. She and my Daddy have made numerous trips in the past several years to Indonesia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida and around Georgia helping feed local people and relief workers in areas struck by natural disasters. She has me and my wife and kids signed up to join them on a trip to New Orleans this summer to help rebuild homes.
Whatever organizational skills and civic-mindedness may be present in me were nurtured and continue to be inspired by Mama. I love her very much.
And don't let me forget, that woman can cook a meal!
Old 05-13-07, 09:16 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Hmmm... Given the apostrophe in the title, I thought this was going to be a thread about cycling to Mom's.

Mine is 15.6 miles away, west out of the city, across the river, down the MUP, to the suburban splendor of tract homes and Wal-Marts. Just after lunch sounds about right.
Old 05-13-07, 09:36 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Hmmm... Given the apostrophe in the title, I thought this was going to be a thread about cycling to Mom's.

Mine is 15.6 miles away, west out of the city, across the river, down the MUP, to the suburban splendor of tract homes and Wal-Marts. Just after lunch sounds about right.
Mine's in Melbourne, Florida, and I'm in San Diego. That ride would require a LOT of pie!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-13-07, 10:47 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Mine's in Melbourne, Florida, and I'm in San Diego. That ride would require a LOT of pie!
Mine is in a small box in my brother's apartment in Long Beach. That would require about half as much pie.