Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I've started to notice something...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-07, 01:15 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bear in mind, if you don't count time on The Diego, I've only been on the Dark Side as a roadie for about a week, so part of what this is about may simply be the result of the excitement of a new bike.

That said, what I've noticed is that all my rides are getting longer. My usual ride during the week used to be 10 miles, now it's 15-20. My usual weekend ride was 15-20, and now it's 25 miles. Again, it's only been one week but I'm really loving these longer rides.

Because I'm able to cruise faster than I did on the Cypress, I get more miles in less time, so that's part of it. It's also just more fun on the new bike than the older one. But I've also noticed that when the ride is over, I'm actually ready to go again right away. If I had more time, I'd ride even further each day.

I'm not ready to conclude it's all about a bike, or even this bike, or even that it will last, but I am tickled at the mileage I'm getting and the fun I'm having. I think for me part of it is that I took a long time to find the right bike, so I'm certainly not taking it for granted.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-16-07, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't take it for granted. Ruby, does she fit better?. Maybe it's in your head,that's OK too. My brother in LA rides, he makes YOU look like a bike expert,with due respect to yourself and him. Anyway, he swears that he completes his routine ride over 10% faster AND the ride SEEMS more leisurly. He liked his old Trek mountain bike, his new aluminum Trek hybrid fits and "works" better. Speaking for myself, I'd say 90% of my improvements are in my head but then again I'm mental.
Old 05-16-07, 04:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The smart a$$ part of me wants to say: It's like many addictions. You're going to need more to achieve the same high. Realistically, it may be a combination of things, not the least of which is the new bike and its better handling, performance, and perhaps comfort/fit. You could also have just reached a new level of riding fitness. I know that it was in my third season, after returning to riding from a 20 year layoff, is when I started to really feel like a rider again, and my mileage went up. Regardless of the reasons, it's a gift, and you shouldn't look gift horses in the mouth. Just enjoy.
Old 05-16-07, 05:52 AM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've noticed the same thing, DG, as I ride my new Buenos Aires.....hmmm, maybe folks switch to good road biles for reasons other than neatness, coolness, bragging rights, etc.....maybe they switch because the bikes are more fun, easier to ride, fit better, go faster and farther....what a concept.

Glad you are enjoying the new Roubaix.
Old 05-16-07, 06:00 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Going farther or to different places is good. Since I use the local trail complex for training early in the season, it becomes "less exciting" after a while. I need that fix of new and different to keep from burning out.

Next week the road bike comes up from the shop and then................................

Roadie.....Roadie....Roadie...Roadie..Roadie.Roadie..............................

Maybe I'll get a glove tan?
Old 05-16-07, 07:16 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I think it's you and Ruby as a matched pair. You got it now you can flaunt it, and put the hammer down, and have more fun, just saying.
Old 05-16-07, 07:21 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tlc20010
I've noticed the same thing, DG, as I ride my new Buenos Aires.....hmmm, maybe folks switch to good road biles for reasons other than neatness, coolness, bragging rights, etc.....maybe they switch because the bikes are more fun, easier to ride, fit better, go faster and farther....what a concept.

Glad you are enjoying the new Roubaix.
+1

I've found longer rides more enjoyable on the new road bike. There isn't a big weight difference between the two road bikes so I'm sure it's the fit. The largest difference has been seen in climbing.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-16-07, 09:10 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmmm ...

It sounds like you are validating my statements made a few months ago about how a road bike would better enable you to reach your annual mileage goals. At that time you questioned the validity of what I was saying.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-16-07, 09:54 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I had a choice last sunday on the NEW bike Pie ride- 10 miles to say I have done it. 22miles to do it and get some pie in- 34 miles to get some pie and a hill in- or 47 miles to get some pie and 4 hills in. It was persisting down for the whole of the ride so why did I do the 47?

Thats your answer- but I haven't quite lost it as much as you.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-16-07, 10:41 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've started to notice something too...Several people with hot new road bikes have almost overnight either ridden farther, ridden faster, or now have amazing hill climbing abilities...I believe this is a gov't conspiracy to convince the rest of us we need new road bikes, thus boosting the economy.
Old 05-16-07, 10:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As the other new roadie here abouts, I will testify to DG's observations. Farther, easier, faster. I was putting on about 120-150 miles a month in the past year. And on the Reno? I rolled over 150 last night. I've had the bike for a week and a half. The miles just... appear. I'll be rolling along, look down and see 8 or 9 miles on the odo... and some how that turns into 12-15 miles when all I have is 2 more miles to go to get home. Where do they come from?

As for "amazing hill climbing abilities", I KNOW you aren't talking about me... who's the amazing hill climber? Fess up, now.
Old 05-16-07, 11:16 AM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
I've started to notice something too...Several people with hot new road bikes have almost overnight either ridden farther, ridden faster, or now have amazing hill climbing abilities...I believe this is a gov't conspiracy to convince the rest of us we need new road bikes, thus boosting the economy.

But doesn't everyone on the Forum (and on Bike Journal, also) need a new road bike at least once a year? If we all dropped 1 or 2 or 3 large on a new bike each year it would boost the economy--especialaly the economy of our LBS's--and we would all go father faster. So as I see it, buying a new bike each year is our patriotic duty.

And here I thought the gov't conspiracy was that $3.00+ gas.
Old 05-16-07, 12:35 PM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great to hear you're enjoying your new ride.
I hear Mt Palomar is a nice cruise.
Looking forward to reading updated reports on your latest conquests.
Word from the experienced - Take care.
Old 05-16-07, 12:35 PM

Bikes: Klein Quantum, Summit Comp Pro TR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's another funny thing, DG. That "if I had more time" thing you mentioned? You'll find some way to make it appear. When I got back on the bike, 30 minutes a day was all the time I could find. Then it crept up to 45 minutes. Since I got my Klein back in November, it's crept up to an hour...or an hour and a quarter...or an hour and a half. By far the most insidious drug I've ever tried!
Old 05-16-07, 06:51 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Someone once asked my advice about getting into bicycling. I told them to ride as often as they can but to try to ride a different route every single time. If you do that, farther and faster will just come.
Old 05-16-07, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
The Diego is telling you to go and get that CF road bike you flipped out on a while ago. Face it, Gary, YOU ARE A ROADIE. Go forth and BUY!! bk
Old 05-16-07, 09:01 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Bear in mind, if you don't count time on The Diego, I've only been on the Dark Side as a roadie for about a week, so part of what this is about may simply be the result of the excitement of a new bike.

That said, what I've noticed is that all my rides are getting longer. My usual ride during the week used to be 10 miles, now it's 15-20. My usual weekend ride was 15-20, and now it's 25 miles. Again, it's only been one week but I'm really loving these longer rides.

Because I'm able to cruise faster than I did on the Cypress, I get more miles in less time, so that's part of it. It's also just more fun on the new bike than the older one. But I've also noticed that when the ride is over, I'm actually ready to go again right away. If I had more time, I'd ride even further each day.

I'm not ready to conclude it's all about a bike, or even this bike, or even that it will last, but I am tickled at the mileage I'm getting and the fun I'm having. I think for me part of it is that I took a long time to find the right bike, so I'm certainly not taking it for granted.
I think you are realizing the theory of diminishing returns. We can only reduce the amount of weight of our bike so much. There comes a time when we can't reduce the weight anymore, or when our "light" bikes won't support our riding habits. Every time I've bought a bike, I notice immediate returns. After two or three weeks, back to the same old problem of wanting more improvement.

I'm 60 and 6'2". My best riding weight is 165-168. I weigh in at about 187. I like beer--too much. If I want improvement, the only place to improve is me.

That is hard.

That is my goal and greatest challenge. At over 50, how much quality life do we have left**********???

BF is a great motivator for us that are not reaching our goals. It's great to read George's striving, Stepfam's wisdom, DG's enthusiasm, and countless other positive posts. I tend toward the sarcastic, acerbic responses--probably in bad taste on this forum; however, thanks for a place to read positive posts about biking. And thanks for the touring section for people like Machka (sp??).

Great forum! May we all continue to improve and reach our personal goals and defeat our personal monsters.
Old 05-16-07, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I need to take the Bianchi down to SD and ride with DG and the Roubaix...sounds like a good time.
Old 05-16-07, 10:12 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dauphin
I need to take the Bianchi down to SD and ride with DG and the Roubaix...sounds like a good time.
Your more than welcome any time!

Old 05-16-07, 11:47 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Congrats...I knew you could do it. Take it a little easy and work up to speed and distance gradually. I still remember the injured knee post.
Old 05-16-07, 11:48 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Hmmm ...

It sounds like you are validating my statements made a few months ago about how a road bike would better enable you to reach your annual mileage goals. At that time you questioned the validity of what I was saying.
Yeah, but then again you also recommended I get a unicycle at one point.