Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legal Proceedings are underway.......

to get a driver's attention up our way.

One of the regular riders on our Tuesday/Thursday night rides arrived late and was not able to ride with the group this past Tuesday night so he headed out solo. The first few miles of our route are on a newly widened four lane road with a 45 mph speed limit. As he was riding the white line a large SUV whizzed by him just inches from his arms and shoulder. The SUV was also traveling alongside another vehicle and traveling at speed much greater than 45 mph (were they racing???)--no surprise to those of us around here on that stretch.........Our fellow is an MD so he greatly values the use of his arms and legs-brainpower, etc!!

There was a traffic signal up ahead and our friend was able to catch up to and talk to the driver of the SUV while he was stopped at the light. Our friend suggested to the driver to please give him more room in the future, that he almost killed him as he went by. The driver looked at him and said that if our friend didn't get off the road he would kill him. The conversation pretty much ended there.

Our friend got the license tag number and vehicle details and called the police. He talked to the DA and has started legal proceedings. He has already gone in to the station and looked at a lineup of Drivers License photos. We know the driver lives in an upscale neighborhood and drives an upscale vehicle-he had that info on his license plate!!! One of our other cyclists lives in that subdivision and is now watching over his shoulder very closely.

I hate to stir things up anymore than they need to be in sharing stories on conflicts with vehicles but unfortunately it is just a part of the environment many of us have to deal with more than needed. Wasn't it Rodney King who said......."Can't we all just get along????"

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Helmet mounted video cameras would bring most of these events to a satisfactory conclusion....

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might have been Rodney King first, but I best remember the "Can't we all just get along" line best when Jack Nicholson used it in "Mars Attacks". Hope the rich person with the SUV gets a good, solid scare thrown into him/her.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Wasn't it Rodney King who said......."Can't we all just get along????"
    Most recently, that line was uttered by A.J. Soprano.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trek 7100, Fuji Newest 2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I am no Mike Tyson, I have done some heavy and speed bag work. I think that if the driver had told me he was going to kill me it would have ended right then and there. Maybe not the right way but the satisfying way to do it.

T Bone

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope the arrogant one receives the same treatment that the arrogant Hilton girl got from her judge, and does not get off with only a good scare.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its disconcerting that this incident is being replayed over and over again throughout our land. We had an incident in Anchorage, along a road I like to ride, of the rich-looking SUV driver making not-so-veiled threats against cyclists. Some folks agonize over what to do, but I have no doubt I would file a complaint and get it on the guy's record. Even if it comes to naught, if he were involved in an injury/death situation with a cyclist, at least the cyclist's estate could take him to the cleaners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been involved in similar situations over the years. I think, these days, it doesn't pay to confront the driver. There are so many nut cases out there and some are carrying guns, especially in the US. Violence is commonplace on TV and some people can't seperate real life from their TV fantasies.

If you physically assault the driver, then HE becomes the victim and YOU, the real victim, got some 'splainin' to do.

I no longer confront drivers, I just report the incident to the police with the tag #, if I can get it.

I'm glad to see your friend is persuing this matter through the legal system

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quote the Rockford, IL newspaper of this day:

"Fortunately, not a lot of bicyclist get "nailed" as badley as Olson did.
    Last year there were 24 bicyclist killed in crashes with cars in Illinois.
    In 2005, 21 people were killed
    and 25 died in 2004.
    It's been said that the easiest way to get with murder in America is to hit a pedestrian or bicyclist with a car and then say that you didn't see them."

Is it just me who is outraged by this?

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the most part, I don't have as much trouble down here as I did on motorcycles up in Illinois. That is one of the reasons I quit riding and started sailing, and then I had to put up with the power boaters. I was taking up there valuable space, on Lake Michigan.

I would like to see them do something to this guy, that jppe is talking about, but it doesn't look like a fine would bother him much, ( the ugly American) and he would probably retaliate, and go after more people riding anyway. It sure is a sorry situation and you wonder where or how it will end.
    George

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I hope I never get that kind of response from a driver. I wonder how much that large footprint in his driver's door would cost me.....
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why we need 3-foot passing clearance laws in all states. This gives the cyclist a concrete basis for complaint.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    I quote the Rockford, IL newspaper of this day:

"Fortunately, not a lot of bicyclist get "nailed" as badley as Olson did.
    Last year there were 24 bicyclist killed in crashes with cars in Illinois.
    In 2005, 21 people were killed
    and 25 died in 2004.
    It's been said that the easiest way to get with murder in America is to hit a pedestrian or bicyclist with a car and then say that you didn't see them."

I'm not pleased about it, but it's always true that's the first thing out of the driver's mouth.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you're not the only one. This is the type of thing that really makes me seriously consider learning to speak dutch, and moving to Holland.

Something I mentioned in the S & A area: I know three cyclists who have given up riding on the roads in the past five years. These people are not newbies, they are adult cycilsts who started riding in the 70's, as I did. They are only doing off-road riding, bike path riding, or riding stationary bikes in the gym. Reason: harassment, threats, intimidation. They've simply had enough.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub
    Something I mentioned in the S & A area: I know three cyclists who have given up riding on the roads in the past five years. These people are not newbies, they are adult cycilsts who started riding in the 70's, as I did. They are only doing off-road riding, bike path riding, or riding stationary bikes in the gym. Reason: harassment, threats, intimidation. They've simply had enough.
    One of the reasons I took up offroading 17 years ago was that there are not many cars up on the hills. Today I had a road ride and although it did not bother me- I had several cars get very close to me, at Speed, when they overtook. Now I ride sensibly- Narrow road or plenty of traffic and I am tight into the Kerb. Leaving them plenty of room to overtake, or so I thought. But when that car passes within 6" of your bars, it makes you worry about the mentality of the drivers.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E
    This is why we need 3-foot passing clearance laws in all states. This gives the cyclist a concrete basis for complaint.
    Well I hope it makes a difference. We have a five foot clearance law in Wyoming, but I'll bet you that one in a thousand motorists know it. The WYDOT even gives out free bumper stickers that say, "Share the Street, Give a Bike Five Feet - Safe Passing Distance is the Law." Luckily I can ride in areas where I encounter only a few cars. I have been in the OP's position in Hawaii and Florida. Hope that the police get him. Any update jppe?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
    Well I hope it makes a difference. We have a five foot clearance law in Wyoming, but I'll bet you that one in a thousand motorists know it. The WYDOT even gives out free bumper stickers that say, "Share the Street, Give a Bike Five Feet - Safe Passing Distance is the Law." Luckily I can ride in areas where I encounter only a few cars. I have been in the OP's position in Hawaii and Florida. Hope that the police get him. Any update jppe?
    I hope to see the Doctor friend Tuesday night so maybe he will have an update then.

My Bikes
    Fuji Club, Bianchi Bergamo, Fuji Suncrest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it is ever a good idea to confront a poor driver about anything vehicle related. I'm glad your friend is pursuing legal action though. The driver probably didn't realize he was dealing with someone who has the knowledge and means to make such a response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike
    It might have been Rodney King first, but I best remember the "Can't we all just get along" line best when Jack Nicholson used it in "Mars Attacks". Hope the rich person with the SUV gets a good, solid scare thrown into him/her.
    No the best line from Mars Attacks is the Grandmom sitting in the trailer watching the martians on TV and says "They blew up Congress"!

Back to the ignorant driver. It is going to come down to he said she said in court. PA has a 5 foot law. Cars are to give bicycles 5 feet of room. Try getting it enforced, fat chance.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been said that the easiest way to get with murder in America is to hit a pedestrian or bicyclist with a car and then say that you didn't see them." ]
    Let's not forget motorcyclists. That's how I lost my first Ducati. Hey, he just "didn't see" my bright f***ing YELLOW Ducati.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see two common occurances on almost very ride

1. The oblivious on the phone driver who does not know your there
    2. The driver who sees you and is not sure what to do and becomes totally unpredicatable

Both of these scare me as you can be riding as safely as you can and still get creamed. The solutions ar pretty easy, for #1 get off the phone and pay attention to your driving. For #2 just treat the cyclist as you would another car and do what you are supose to i.e. stop, go whatever. I have no illusion though that anything will change so I keep my head on a swivel.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Trek Hilo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to get a driver's attention up our way.

One of the regular riders on our Tuesday/Thursday night rides arrived late and was not able to ride with the group this past Tuesday night so he headed out solo. The first few miles of our route are on a newly widened four lane road with a 45 mph speed limit. As he was riding the white line a large SUV whizzed by him just inches from his arms and shoulder. The SUV was also traveling alongside another vehicle and traveling at speed much greater than 45 mph (were they racing???)--no surprise to those of us around here on that stretch.........Our fellow is an MD so he greatly values the use of his arms and legs-brainpower, etc!!

There was a traffic signal up ahead and our friend was able to catch up to and talk to the driver of the SUV while he was stopped at the light. Our friend suggested to the driver to please give him more room in the future, that he almost killed him as he went by. The driver looked at him and said that if our friend didn't get off the road he would kill him. The conversation pretty much ended there.

Our friend got the license tag number and vehicle details and called the police. He talked to the DA and has started legal proceedings. He has already gone in to the station and looked at a lineup of Drivers License photos. We know the driver lives in an upscale neighborhood and drives an upscale vehicle-he had that info on his license plate!!! One of our other cyclists lives in that subdivision and is now watching over his shoulder very closely.

I hate to stir things up anymore than they need to be in sharing stories on conflicts with vehicles but unfortunately it is just a part of the environment many of us have to deal with more than needed. Wasn't it Rodney King who said......."Can't we all just get along????"
    Do whatever means legal to get this clown off the road. At least its documented so if he actually does take someone out he'll get the max allowable sentence.

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope to see the Doctor friend Tuesday night so maybe he will have an update then.
    Thanks and looking forward to results.