Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Posts
    7,893
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Why isn't the drive train...

    on the left hand side on British bikes? They do ride on the wrong -- oops, I mean other -- side of the road, after all.

    So why is the drive train on the right hand side of bikes, anyway? Anyone know?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

    Proud member of the original Club Tombay

  2. #2
    Small Member maddmaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Posts
    7,079
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Only in the northern hemisphere

  3. #3
    tcs
    tcs is offline
    Palmer tcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Parts unknown
    Posts
    4,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most folks are right handed. Therefore, cavalry soldiers have worn their swords on their left hips for the last, oh, 2600 years or so. Therefore, humans mount horses from the left side and train horses to be mounted from the left side. Therefore, the bicycle, introduced into a world that rode horses and at a time when armies still relied on cavalries, have their drive trains on the right side, away from the mounting rider, and their kick stands on the left side, from which the rider would approach.

    You will find that the drivetrain on modern motorcycles may be on either side, but even though motorcycle riders don't - normally - wear swords, the kickstand is always on the left to this day.

    TCS

  4. #4
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    on the left hand side on British bikes? They do ride on the wrong -- oops, I mean other -- side of the road, after all.

    So why is the drive train on the right hand side of bikes, anyway? Anyone know?
    Like all good things- The Americans copied us and they got it wrong- So Don't blame us for your screw-ups.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  5. #5
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Posts
    7,893
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcs
    Most folks are right handed. Therefore, cavalry soldiers have worn their swords on their left hips for the last, oh, 2600 years or so. Therefore, humans mount horses from the left side and train horses to be mounted from the left side. Therefore, the bicycle, introduced into a world that rode horses and at a time when armies still relied on cavalries, have their drive trains on the right side, away from the mounting rider, and their kick stands on the left side, from which the rider would approach.

    You will find that the drivetrain on modern motorcycles may be on either side, but even though motorcycle riders don't - normally - wear swords, the kickstand is always on the left to this day.

    TCS
    Now that makes so much sense! I never thought about it that way...
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

    Proud member of the original Club Tombay

  6. #6
    Banned. The Weak Link's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Post-partisan Paradise
    My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Posts
    4,936
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Like all good things- The Americans copied us and they got it wrong- So Don't blame us for your screw-ups.
    Well, at least we know how to spell, and we gots good senses of humour.

  7. #7
    Happy Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Posts
    749
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Now that makes so much sense! I never thought about it that way...
    so now you know on which side to carry your sword while riding Rooooby.

  8. #8
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Posts
    7,893
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by card
    so now you know on which side to carry your sword while riding Rooooby.
    'xactly!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

    Proud member of the original Club Tombay

  9. #9
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gary!This has given me a lot to ponder on my ride this afternoon.

  10. #10
    Senior Member dauphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,993
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    let us not forget why a man's shirt/jacket usually has the buttons on his left and the button holes on his right...easier to slowly unbutton a jacket with the left hand...while preparing to draw a weapon with the right hand...

  11. #11
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now if you liken a bike to a Horse- then the only ones on horses were the knights and their Minions.

    You get the cheaper bikes like the OCR3's and the treks and they would be for the minions. Then the valets would get the Lemond's and then finally the Knights would be on the Roubaix's. The carbon fibre and Ti would only be for the royalty. Problem is that there were a lot of One eared horses about as the knights were a bit ungainly in their swordmanship- so the knights were given Lances. They could handle them but the only problem was that the Lance was always miles ahead of the pelaton. So no-one ever saw the devastation that one lance could cause to the opposition. Then they invented TV so everyone could see the power of the Lance- but then the French started watching this new TV and saw the strength of the Lance and said it was cheating and tried to get it banned.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  12. #12
    Banned. The Weak Link's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Post-partisan Paradise
    My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Posts
    4,936
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Now if you liken a bike to a Horse- then the only ones on horses were the knights and their Minions.

    You get the cheaper bikes like the OCR3's and the treks and they would be for the minions. Then the valets would get the Lemond's and then finally the Knights would be on the Roubaix's. The carbon fibre and Ti would only be for the royalty. Problem is that there were a lot of One eared horses about as the knights were a bit ungainly in their swordmanship- so the knights were given Lances. They could handle them but the only problem was that the Lance was always miles ahead of the pelaton. So no-one ever saw the devastation that one lance could cause to the opposition. Then they invented TV so everyone could see the power of the Lance- but then the French started watching this new TV and saw the strength of the Lance and said it was cheating and tried to get it banned.
    I don't get it. You guys are so wiurd.

  13. #13
    Senior Member freeranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Posts
    1,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    let us not forget why a man's shirt/jacket usually has the buttons on his left and the button holes on his right...easier to slowly unbutton a jacket with the left hand...while preparing to draw a weapon with the right hand...
    But women's are on the opposite side--for those who might wonder why-buttons, when first on the scene, were expensive, only the rich had buttons. And the (rich)women were dressed by their hand-maidens, so the buttons were on the opposite sides of men's clothing, making it easier for the (mostly) right handed hand-maidens to fasten the buttons. Little known nor useful trivia here. (and someone pls correct me if I was once given the incorrect reason)

  14. #14
    as I used to be NotAsFat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple
    Posts
    653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Now if you liken a bike to a Horse- then the only ones on horses were the knights and their Minions.

    You get the cheaper bikes like the OCR3's and the treks and they would be for the minions. Then the valets would get the Lemond's and then finally the Knights would be on the Roubaix's. The carbon fibre and Ti would only be for the royalty. Problem is that there were a lot of One eared horses about as the knights were a bit ungainly in their swordmanship- so the knights were given Lances. They could handle them but the only problem was that the Lance was always miles ahead of the pelaton. So no-one ever saw the devastation that one lance could cause to the opposition. Then they invented TV so everyone could see the power of the Lance- but then the French started watching this new TV and saw the strength of the Lance and said it was cheating and tried to get it banned.


    Anything that devastates the French can't be all bad.
    Starve a terrorist - ride a bike to work. It's not just good for the environment, it's good for civilization.

    My new blog is No Pinch Flats.

  15. #15
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    14,939
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The historical explanation given makes alot of sense. American Indians mounted their horses from the right side, but they generally didn't carry lances.

    If the driveline were on the left, cog or freewheel attachment would have to be via an anticlockwise (nonstandard) thread.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  16. #16
    Senior Member Red Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    On a Road in Central Bluegrass KY
    My Bikes
    Not enough
    Posts
    1,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E
    The historical explanation given makes alot of sense. American Indians mounted their horses from the right side, but they generally didn't carry lances.

    If the driveline were on the left, cog or freewheel attachment would have to be via an anticlockwise (nonstandard) thread.

    And in every western I ever saw, the indians circled the enemy CCW, so they could shoot bows and arrows right handed, and don't forget the Coup Stick.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

  17. #17
    tcs
    tcs is offline
    Palmer tcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Parts unknown
    Posts
    4,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E
    The historical explanation given makes alot of sense.
    Go back a 125 years, when bicycles didn't have a "drivetrain" per se. You'll find the mounting step on all highwheelers is on the left side of the backbone.

    TCS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •