I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why isn't the drive train...

on the left hand side on British bikes? They do ride on the wrong -- oops, I mean other -- side of the road, after all.

So why is the drive train on the right hand side of bikes, anyway? Anyone know?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Only in the northern hemisphere

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most folks are right handed. Therefore, cavalry soldiers have worn their swords on their left hips for the last, oh, 2600 years or so. Therefore, humans mount horses from the left side and train horses to be mounted from the left side. Therefore, the bicycle, introduced into a world that rode horses and at a time when armies still relied on cavalries, have their drive trains on the right side, away from the mounting rider, and their kick stands on the left side, from which the rider would approach.

You will find that the drivetrain on modern motorcycles may be on either side, but even though motorcycle riders don't - normally - wear swords, the kickstand is always on the left to this day.

TCS

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    on the left hand side on British bikes? They do ride on the wrong -- oops, I mean other -- side of the road, after all.

So why is the drive train on the right hand side of bikes, anyway? Anyone know?
    Like all good things- The Americans copied us and they got it wrong- So Don't blame us for your screw-ups.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcs
    Most folks are right handed. Therefore, cavalry soldiers have worn their swords on their left hips for the last, oh, 2600 years or so. Therefore, humans mount horses from the left side and train horses to be mounted from the left side. Therefore, the bicycle, introduced into a world that rode horses and at a time when armies still relied on cavalries, have their drive trains on the right side, away from the mounting rider, and their kick stands on the left side, from which the rider would approach.

You will find that the drivetrain on modern motorcycles may be on either side, but even though motorcycle riders don't - normally - wear swords, the kickstand is always on the left to this day.

TCS
    Now that makes so much sense! I never thought about it that way...
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Like all good things- The Americans copied us and they got it wrong- So Don't blame us for your screw-ups.
    Well, at least we know how to spell, and we gots good senses of humour.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Now that makes so much sense! I never thought about it that way...
    so now you know on which side to carry your sword while riding Rooooby.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by card
    so now you know on which side to carry your sword while riding Rooooby.
    'xactly!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gary!This has given me a lot to ponder on my ride this afternoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    let us not forget why a man's shirt/jacket usually has the buttons on his left and the button holes on his right...easier to slowly unbutton a jacket with the left hand...while preparing to draw a weapon with the right hand...

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now if you liken a bike to a Horse- then the only ones on horses were the knights and their Minions.

You get the cheaper bikes like the OCR3's and the treks and they would be for the minions. Then the valets would get the Lemond's and then finally the Knights would be on the Roubaix's. The carbon fibre and Ti would only be for the royalty. Problem is that there were a lot of One eared horses about as the knights were a bit ungainly in their swordmanship- so the knights were given Lances. They could handle them but the only problem was that the Lance was always miles ahead of the pelaton. So no-one ever saw the devastation that one lance could cause to the opposition. Then they invented TV so everyone could see the power of the Lance- but then the French started watching this new TV and saw the strength of the Lance and said it was cheating and tried to get it banned.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now if you liken a bike to a Horse- then the only ones on horses were the knights and their Minions.

You get the cheaper bikes like the OCR3's and the treks and they would be for the minions. Then the valets would get the Lemond's and then finally the Knights would be on the Roubaix's. The carbon fibre and Ti would only be for the royalty. Problem is that there were a lot of One eared horses about as the knights were a bit ungainly in their swordmanship- so the knights were given Lances. They could handle them but the only problem was that the Lance was always miles ahead of the pelaton. So no-one ever saw the devastation that one lance could cause to the opposition. Then they invented TV so everyone could see the power of the Lance- but then the French started watching this new TV and saw the strength of the Lance and said it was cheating and tried to get it banned.
    I don't get it. You guys are so wiurd.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    let us not forget why a man's shirt/jacket usually has the buttons on his left and the button holes on his right...easier to slowly unbutton a jacket with the left hand...while preparing to draw a weapon with the right hand...
    But women's are on the opposite side--for those who might wonder why-buttons, when first on the scene, were expensive, only the rich had buttons. And the (rich)women were dressed by their hand-maidens, so the buttons were on the opposite sides of men's clothing, making it easier for the (mostly) right handed hand-maidens to fasten the buttons. Little known nor useful trivia here. (and someone pls correct me if I was once given the incorrect reason)

My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anything that devastates the French can't be all bad.
    Starve a terrorist - ride a bike to work. It's not just good for the environment, it's good for civilization.

My new blog is No Pinch Flats.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The historical explanation given makes alot of sense. American Indians mounted their horses from the right side, but they generally didn't carry lances.

If the driveline were on the left, cog or freewheel attachment would have to be via an anticlockwise (nonstandard) thread.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E
    The historical explanation given makes alot of sense. American Indians mounted their horses from the right side, but they generally didn't carry lances.

If the driveline were on the left, cog or freewheel attachment would have to be via an anticlockwise (nonstandard) thread.

And in every western I ever saw, the indians circled the enemy CCW, so they could shoot bows and arrows right handed, and don't forget the Coup Stick.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E
    The historical explanation given makes alot of sense.
    Go back a 125 years, when bicycles didn't have a "drivetrain" per se. You'll find the mounting step on all highwheelers is on the left side of the backbone.

TCS