Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   your wheel is turning (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/299807-your-wheel-turning.html)

Floyd 05-18-07 02:42 PM

your wheel is turning

Loaded the P-38 on the rack to take it to ride with a friend, As I was going down the road noticed the back wheel was turning....did not want to 'waste time' stopping ... so the wheel was turning for the whole half hour trip. Just curious if anyone worries about this kind of thing or if you consider it a 'who cares' kind of problem. I don't carry my bike much so it is not much of a thing for me.... ... peace

stapfam 05-18-07 02:46 PM

Now if you had the front wheel turning and the computer on the bike- Then you could have upped the milage for the year without any effort

Beverly 05-18-07 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Floyd
Loaded the P-38 on the rack to take it to ride with a friend, As I was going down the road noticed the back wheel was turning....did not want to 'waste time' stopping ... so the wheel was turning for the whole half hour trip. Just curious if anyone worries about this kind of thing or if you consider it a 'who cares' kind of problem. I don't carry my bike much so it is not much of a thing for me.... ... peace

I always put a bungee cord on the wheels when the bike is on the rack. It makes me dizzy looking in the rear view mirror and seeing something spinning:)

Louis 05-18-07 03:31 PM

Yeah, I've got a hang-up about that, alright. Like Beverly, I run a bungee through the wheel so I can keep my sanity, or what's left of it. The spinning doesn't make me dizzy (dizzier?). With me, it's something to do with excessive wear on the bearing races or some such nonsense.:rolleyes: :D

BluesDawg 05-18-07 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Beverly
I always put a bungee cord on the wheels when the bike is on the rack. It makes me dizzy looking in the rear view mirror and seeing something spinning:)

+1
I don't know why it bothers me, but it does. I guess if, for any reason, something shifted and stuck through the spokes, it could cause some damage.

Digital Gee 05-18-07 03:36 PM

Doesn't bother me.

Terrierman 05-18-07 03:49 PM

Bothered enough to bungee. Plus it helps keep them apart when hauling more than one on the rack.

RoMad 05-18-07 03:54 PM

When we carry our bikes on the rack, I tie them down with bungees through the wheels to hold them down. I don't ever let the bungees touch any paint on the bikes, so no spinning for me but for a different reason. I have seen people going down the interstate with tires spinning rapidly. It doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Digital Gee 05-18-07 03:55 PM

Forgot to add: one problem I get is the "leftover" portion of the straps on my Hollywood bike rack find a way to wrap themselves around the wheels between spokes if I don't tie them down. This bothers me and I kick myself when I forget to tie them down. I don't want them to wrap around a spoke somehow and break it.

MichiganMike 05-18-07 06:30 PM

I am a bungee person myself. I thread one long one through the rack and the tires so it helps keep the bike nice and tight at the same time.

Retro Grouch 05-18-07 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Doesn't bother me.

Me neither. Wheels are supposed to spin. That's their purpose in life. Tying down a wheel is like keeping a fish from swimming.

Torgrot 05-19-07 05:41 AM

I hate it also. I always use bungees to hold them. Plus it keeps the bikes from moving around to much.

torgrot

jppe 05-19-07 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Beverly

Ditto for me.