Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving the seat forward may help. But don't be shocked if it turns out that moving it back is what is needed. You just never know until you try everything. We all want to tell you what has worked for us. But in reality, none of us really know what is going to work for you. My bike, Ribby, is about as dialed in as I can imagine a bike being. I made a lot of changes and adjustments along the way. Some of the changes were things I was sure would be wrong. But they proved to be right.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    Moving the seat forward may help. But don't be shocked if it turns out that moving it back is what is needed.
    I wasted a lot of time before I tried counter-intuitive things like moving my seat back. TRY EVERYTHING, as BD suggests. One helpful idea is to have 2 or 3 extra stems of varying lengths on hand, so you can change your reach at will, without the hassle of a trip the the LBS to buy another one.
    Last edited by Big Paulie; 05-19-07 at 01:27 AM.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I should just buy another bike?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just sayin' ...

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
    I'm with ya, Deeg... after 2 weeks and 175 miles (it would be more but I've been out of town for the past couple of days) I've come to the conclusion that I need to nudge the saddle forward a skosh on the Reno.
    We got it "close enough" at the LBS but I figured on some tweaks after living with it for a few miles, after we settled in. I'm still thinking about a Brooks.. the Bontrager is feeling less and less comfortable toward the -dare I say- tail end of my 25 milers. I've got my plumb bob all set up and ready to go
    Stop swearing!!!!

I hate to say it but one thing you learn is that certain names that abound on certain bikes are not that good. I know that will affect and annoy some people but As far as I am concerned- I would rather have a no name part fitted to my bike than a Bontrager part. At least I then have a chance that it may work properly or be of a sensible design that works.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    St I would rather have a no name part fitted to my bike than a Bontrager part. At least I then have a chance that it may work properly or be of a sensible design that works.
    Agreed. My experience as well.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not only does the bike need dialling in- You have to adjust to the bike aswell. Back ache- saddle pain and hand ache are to be expected to a certain extent.

Saddle adlustment will probably cure all of these items but only time will tell. I think the clipless might be the next stage though. I know those that use them tell you that they are the way to go- but another point is that they also modify your riding style a bit. They also modify the muscles used so if you do get it perfect now- when the clipless come along- it may change again.

You have already learnt to get out of the saddle for a bit when it starts hurting. Same with the hands and the back. Now as to how you learn to ride with road rash after your first clipless fall is down to you. Stop dithering- as opposed to prevaricating- and learn how to live with the road rash.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Maybe I should just buy another bike?
    Yeah. Then you can work on dialing both of them in.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made my first adjustment. The saddle was already as far back as it could go, which came as a surprise to me. So, I decided to try moving it forward a half a centimeter or so. Gave that a ten mile test ride and got some good results -- no foot tingling, and no back pain so far. Knees ran silent, ran deep. Of course, that was only ten miles.

OTOH, I may have adjusted the levelness of the nose of the saddle as well without realizing it. The boys were not particularly happy. So, I will now fool with that a bit and give it another test ride.

I also purchased two beach chairs for $4 at a garage sale and brought those home. The seller thought I was crazy carrying them on a bike, but it worked. I was close to home anyway.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now you can sit back in one of those chairs, and admirer Ruby, and size it up, and see what you have to do next, good luck.
    George

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you have a picture of the bike from the first time you bought it home. After a few months of twiddling about- get the picture out and see what has changed. Did this on mine and not much changed but it now fits.

Changes- New stem to raise the bars- pedals- wheels and tyres- and saddle.

Saddle height and fore/aft position has not altered. Bar angle has not changed- but the bike is completely different now it fits.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spike Milligan

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was speaking to a knowledgeable person at a large LBS that sells Trek. They told me that many, if not most, Bontrager parts are manufactured by Shimano. Many are rebadged Shimano. I don't know where such parts as their tires and saddles come from.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    I was speaking to a knowledgeable person at a large LBS that sells Trek. They told me that many, if not most, Bontrager parts are manufactured by Shimano. Many are rebadged Shimano. I don't know where such parts as their tires and saddles come from.
    Sounds goofy to me. Most Bontrager parts are things like stems and handlebars - things that Shimano doesn't make.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are Bontrager wheels, hubs, rims, cranksets, brakes, brake levers, forks, tires, seat posts, saddles, stems, handlebars, and more.

Even the $8250 Madone SSL 6.9 now sports the Bontrager brand on its fork, wheels, tires, saddle, seat post, handlebar, and stem.

Trek has been growing that line a lot over the past few years. And they are presenting it more and more as an upscale component line.
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 05-19-07 at 07:09 PM.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know where such parts as their tires and saddles come from.

I have had two bikes that I bought new that came with bontrager seats and I think I know where they come from, Hell. Trek is definately putting the house brand bontrager parts everywhere they can on their bikes. My Lemond (owned by Trek) was loaded with them too.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoMad
    I don't know where such parts as their tires and saddles come from.

I have had two bikes that I bought new that came with bontrager seats and I think I know where they come from, Hell. Trek is definately putting the house brand bontrager parts everywhere they can on their bikes. My Lemond (owned by Trek) was loaded with them too.
    I agree 100% about the saddles

I've replaced both saddles on the two Treks I bought. I was more surprised with the last one as it came on a WSD road bike. It took about 50 miles to determine it wasn't for me.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm stoked!

Moved the nose down a little as my second adjustment and put another 15 miles on the bike. This time, there was no tingling in either foot, NO BACK PAIN whatsoever, and the boys seemed content as well. I had a little stiffness in my neck -- like when it feels like you want to crack it but can't seem to crack it -- but other than that, things were good.

I'm sure there will be more tweaking in the days ahead (and especially if I change pedals) but with just two simple adjustments -- sliding the saddle forward a half centimeter and moving the nose down a bit -- it rode a LOT easier.

Even got less hand pain, but that had more to do with reminding myself to relax my hands, and carry some of the weight in my torso. I stopped gripping the handlebar so hard, and just wrapped my hands around it.

I've put 188 miles on the bike in the first 12 days. What a blast!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had that "little adjustment = big fit gain" experience a few times myself.

Just today on my ride, I was about 10 miles into it when I noticed I was having more butt pain than on my recent rides. Got off and checked my seat and it had slid up one notch. Readjusted it and was immediately more comfortable and stayed that way for the rest of my ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary buying a roubaix. Y'all are just messin with my head. No way I'm gonna believe this. I mean, I take a one week vacation and Gee finally pulls the trigger? It's just too much. bk
    Last edited by bkaapcke; 05-20-07 at 11:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    OK, who had #11 in the "how long will it take for some bent geek to rise to the bait?" pool?
    Got beat by one post by the Brooks saddle.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Hope you have a picture of the bike from the first time you bought it home. After a few months of twiddling about- get the picture out and see what has changed. Did this on mine and not much changed but it now fits.

Changes- New stem to raise the bars- pedals- wheels and tyres- and saddle.

Saddle height and fore/aft position has not altered. Bar angle has not changed- but the bike is completely different now it fits.

The bike on the right looks much more comfortable.
    George

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkaapcke
    Gary buying a roubaix. Y'all are just messin with my head. No way I'm gonna believe this. I mean, I take a one wek vacation ane Gee finally pulls the trigger? It's just too much. bk
    Come on Gary, where's the picture.
    George

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    Come on Gary, where's the picture.
    If you insist!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    If you insist!!!

Those bars are higher now, aren't they Gary. I'm just looking for the right fit and they look a few inches high. Mine was even, but now are about 1" higher. Thanks
    George

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    Those bars are higher now, aren't they Gary. I'm just looking for the right fit and they look a few inches high. Mine was even, but now are about 1" higher. Thanks
    My bars are exactly as they came from the LBS, and with the given stem, they can go up no further. I have not fooled around with them at all.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast