Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

back in the saddle again

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

back in the saddle again

Old 05-21-07, 12:19 PM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
back in the saddle again

happy to report that i'm back almost full swing.
Won't be competing this year - maybe - but that doesn't stop me from enjoying.
Had a nice group ride about 70 miles on Saturday and am looking forward to many more.
The old saddle (San Marco SKN) started to be a pain so I switched to my backup Selle Italia Flite.
Hope it works or I 'll be dishin out some bucks for an alternative. I was looking at the SMP Strike and it looks like it might work for me. Anyone with experience on this saddle (especially post prostate ops)?
Old 05-22-07, 09:41 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Glad you are back and only doing 70 miles-Did I read that right- as a training ride.

After a lay off- I was most disappointed to find my Flite Titanium had gone off. I had a further problem but I went through a lot of saddles and finished up with a Flite Max gel. Almost the same shape as the flite but with a cutout and just a bit of gel. Took 2 years of pain to find it though.

My problem was post Prostate so I wish you joy and a large wallet until it settles down. No matter what saddle I got that felt comfortable, was painfull within a month. It was the body reshaping to accomodate the surgery. I think that is the time I learnt to ride out of the saddle effectively.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-22-07, 03:03 PM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Glad you are back and only doing 70 miles-Did I read that right- as a training ride.

After a lay off- I was most disappointed to find my Flite Titanium had gone off. I had a further problem but I went through a lot of saddles and finished up with a Flite Max gel. Almost the same shape as the flite but with a cutout and just a bit of gel. Took 2 years of pain to find it though.

My problem was post Prostate so I wish you joy and a large wallet until it settles down. No matter what saddle I got that felt comfortable, was painfull within a month. It was the body reshaping to accomodate the surgery. I think that is the time I learnt to ride out of the saddle effectively.
It was about a 112 km ride in rolling hill desert topography - according to my co-riders' comps average 32 km/h.

Thanks for the input on the Flite Max. I started looking at that model and other SI models with cutouts such as SLC and SLK. I tend toward saddles without gel - maybe this is just prejudice.
I am 4 years post operation and still find the perenium to be more sensitive than before the operation - could have something to do with the fact that I had to develop floor muscles to maintain bladder control.
Old 05-22-07, 03:19 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I am 6 years and until my latest saddle- I have had problems. My Quack has just confirmed to me exactly what I thought- The pain I am experiencing is sit bone pain. I now have a lot less muscle and padding around it and as My body is still adapting- The covering will change aswell.

That bit of gel by the way- it is hardly noticable. In fact I am wondering if there is any.

The flite is on the MTB. Since you were last a regular contributor- I have got a road bike. The stock saddle was similar to the flite and was fairly comfortable. However- not as comfy as the flite so I decided to get a better saddle. Down to the LBS and the owner suggested I take his bike for a ride. The saddle was good. San Marco "Aero" Got one but it took 3 rides to wear in. Did a 47mile ride and did not feel the saddle. And I did not feel it the day after either and that was different.

Hate to say it but those of us without a prostate are going to experience a bit of Butt Pain. Others cannot realise it but it is almost Novice rider saddle sydrome- but for every ride. I think I have now cured it but plenty of good saddles in the bike shed that are getting passed around to other riders.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-22-07, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by berts
h I was looking at the SMP Strike and it looks like it might work for me. Anyone with experience on this saddle (especially post prostate ops)?
I'm a new road bike rider, and thankfully have not any prostate problems. I did however notice, that after I few days of long rides (hours, not necessarily distance) I was experiencing numbness in my genitals. My shop switched me over to the SMP Strike Pro. The first ride I still had the numbness, but that could have been residual from the few rides on the old saddle previous. After 3 days off I did a 2.5 hour ride followed by a 1 hour ride today with no problems so far.