all you need is love blues on a bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a 24-speed San Rafael by Marin. a 6-speed Huffy beach cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wanted to love the Gary Fisher, but didn't

I posted a while back asking for opinions on a Gary Fisher Nirvana. I should have gone with my instinct when the guy at the LBS talked me into the Nirvana over the Zebrano, that I liked better. Anyway, they special-ordered it; bottom line, I hated it. They even changed the shifters for me and I still hated it. It just felt uncomfortable and wrong. I left the shop in tears.

I had ridden Schwinn, Giant, Specialized, Trek, the GFs, Jamis, Raleigh and nothing felt right. I felt like there was no right bike for me in the world and I was sad.

Driving aimlessly, I saw this little hole in the wall bike shop I never noticed before very near my house. I pulled in on impulse. The guy says, try this. I got on. Rode in the parking lot. It felt like coming home.

I now own and love a San Rafael by Marin. I had never heard of it before, but it just feels so right. I saw the posts about naming a bike. Mine slipped right into calling itself the Gray Ghost. We're working up to longer rides, average probably about 15 miles a ride and I really don't feel like I've done much of anything if I don't ride at least 20. My longest ride was 27 miles.

I'm not fast; I average maybe 12 - 14 mph, but I just keep on keeping on. I've never ridden with anyone; I'd be too embarrassed.

Thanks for reading. I just wanted to share with people who would get it.

Last edited by blues on a bike; 05-19-07 at 09:07 PM.
    Janie

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you found your bike........if you had not made the "mistake" in the first place you may not have found this perfect beauty........peace

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nirvana and Zebrano are almost identical bikes. Just a few component upgrades, which would have very little impact on how they ride. Same frame, same wheels, same handlebars, same stems, same gearing. Only real difference is the upgraded components of the Nirvana would hold up better and perform a little better over time.

So if you didn't like the Nirvana, there is no reason to suspect you would have liked the Zebrano. If you could ride them blindfolded, you wouldn't be able to tell which was which.

The Marin San Rafael is a nice hybrid. I rode one twice last fall. It is very similar to the Fisher bikes above. But it does have a slightly different frame and thus a different feel - the main difference I noted was that the Marin was a little taller. Perhaps that is the difference that clicked for you.
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 05-19-07 at 07:42 PM.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blues on a bike
    I'm not fast; I average maybe 12 - 14 mph, but I just keep on keeping on. I've never ridden with anyone; I'd be too embarrassed.
    I wish I could go that fast, especially when I'm doing LSD.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ummmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    I wish I could go that fast, especially when I'm doing LSD.
    LSD as in LSD? In my younger, misspent youth, I'd know what you were talking about, but do I know what you're talking about now? Or is LSD something else in the world of bicycling?
    Janie

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blues on a bike
    LSD as in LSD? In my younger, misspent youth, I'd know what you were talking about, but do I know what you're talking about now? Or is LSD something else in the world of bicycling?
    It's just a bad joke. LSD stands for Long Slow Distance, which one rides when one is trying to get in saddle time and build up endurance. It's amazing how many people haven't heard of it and have visions of peyote-plowed bikers riding their bikes through Strawberry Fields Forever.

It's also a wasted term in my lexicon, as I have no Long Fast Distance, or Tempo ride, or Short Fast Distance, or anything that has the concept of "fast" in it. That's why I get a bit bemused when I read someone say "Oh, I had an off day. I only averaged 16 MPH." The only time I went 15 MPH is with my beast of a son-in-law as the stoker of the tandem.

But we digress. Congratulations on your new bike!

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bike is gray as well and I call mine Smoke, so you can't use that. I know you'll enjoy your new bike, good luck and congradulations.
    George

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your new bike!

When I first started looking for a bike a couple of years ago, someone said that eventually, I would climb on one that would simply and obviously be The One. And that's what happened for me, and now you. Enjoy the heck out of your new bike. I love the name!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the description for the San Rafael's saddle:

"WTB Comfort V with Love Channel and Comfort Zone."

Perhaps it was the "Love Channel" that brought it all together for blues.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    Perhaps it was the "Love Channel" that brought it all together for blues.
    Gotta be better than the Love Canal!
    Janie