Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Bike Overdose

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike Overdose

I bought 6 bikes for a total of $160 in our community yard sale. I gave one away (a little barbie type with something like 16" wheels) to the yard saler's daughter. She was so happy & I had just paid the girl scouts $5 for the bike. She promised to wear her helmet.

Meanwhile, I'm in swap, strip, clean, adjust, and post on craigslist mode. I found the first two bikes in the first 10 minutes. One, a 56cm Specialized lugged steel road bike, has full Dura-Ace 8 speed grupo and Dura-Ace hubs.

The end goal is a slightly upgraded fleet and cash on hand for my 86 Paramount purchase
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never found a bike deal like that. And I did recently scout a couple of community garage sales - but perhaps you were at them first!

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My biggest scores were the Bianchi, which a neighbor gave to me when he switched over to a Marin mountain bike, and Capo #1, a $20 yard sale treasure which would have been a real score with the original Campagnolo Record high-flange hubset.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    I've never found a bike deal like that. And I did recently scout a couple of community garage sales - but perhaps you were at them first!
    +1

The only thing I've ever seen at garage sales has been junk.

Our community garage sale weekend is coming up shortly. Maybe I'll get out there and scour them for such a bike deal. Then again, that would mean giving up one of the weekend rides
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    +1

The only thing I've ever seen at garage sales has been junk.

Our community garage sale weekend is coming up shortly. Maybe I'll get out there and scour them for such a bike deal. Then again, that would mean giving up one of the weekend rides
    This was a community sale with about 75 houses participating. I try to make time twice a year
    There is a lot of junk and small kids bikes. Sometimes you have to ask if they have any bikes they want to sell. One guy had a vinage (Bianchi sp?) bike with Campy and Looks rotting in the garage - made me want to cry.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    Do as afriend of mine did- He advertised for a cheap bike for a student off to University. MUST BE CHEAP. He was offered some pretty good bikes for a very economic price and was give 3 hardly used bikes to get them out of the shed-2 were Wally mart specials but the third was a good mountain bike with about 20 miles on it. He went through University with the Wallymarts and comes out with us occasionally on the MTB, 5 years later.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan