Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-19-07, 07:45 PM   #1
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite
Bike Overdose

I bought 6 bikes for a total of $160 in our community yard sale. I gave one away (a little barbie type with something like 16" wheels) to the yard saler's daughter. She was so happy & I had just paid the girl scouts $5 for the bike. She promised to wear her helmet.

Meanwhile, I'm in swap, strip, clean, adjust, and post on craigslist mode. I found the first two bikes in the first 10 minutes. One, a 56cm Specialized lugged steel road bike, has full Dura-Ace 8 speed grupo and Dura-Ace hubs.

The end goal is a slightly upgraded fleet and cash on hand for my 86 Paramount purchase
Old 05-19-07, 08:19 PM   #2
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
I've never found a bike deal like that. And I did recently scout a couple of community garage sales - but perhaps you were at them first!
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 08:42 PM   #3
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
My biggest scores were the Bianchi, which a neighbor gave to me when he switched over to a Marin mountain bike, and Capo #1, a $20 yard sale treasure which would have been a real score with the original Campagnolo Record high-flange hubset.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 07:19 AM   #4
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I've never found a bike deal like that. And I did recently scout a couple of community garage sales - but perhaps you were at them first!
+1

The only thing I've ever seen at garage sales has been junk.

Our community garage sale weekend is coming up shortly. Maybe I'll get out there and scour them for such a bike deal. Then again, that would mean giving up one of the weekend rides

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 11:49 AM   #5
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly
+1

The only thing I've ever seen at garage sales has been junk.

Our community garage sale weekend is coming up shortly. Maybe I'll get out there and scour them for such a bike deal. Then again, that would mean giving up one of the weekend rides
This was a community sale with about 75 houses participating. I try to make time twice a year
There is a lot of junk and small kids bikes. Sometimes you have to ask if they have any bikes they want to sell. One guy had a vinage (Bianchi sp?) bike with Campy and Looks rotting in the garage - made me want to cry.
Old 05-22-07, 03:28 PM   #6
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Do as afriend of mine did- He advertised for a cheap bike for a student off to University. MUST BE CHEAP. He was offered some pretty good bikes for a very economic price and was give 3 hardly used bikes to get them out of the shed-2 were Wally mart specials but the third was a good mountain bike with about 20 miles on it. He went through University with the Wallymarts and comes out with us occasionally on the MTB, 5 years later.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote