Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a day I had today (sorry, this is really long)

I've been waiting for this day for two or three weeks...
    The Kaitai's been in the shop getting a new chain and cassette and got all the cables and bearings adjusted up.
    It was finally ready for pickup and the weather just couldn't be more perfect for me; blues skies, light breeze, wispy clouds in the air. Warm but a bit on the cool side. I wore the removable liner from a pair of shorts I have. Yes, I wore tights today.
    The shop is on Howard Street and I had it all planned out: Ride Across the Golden Gate Bridge.

Here's the route
    http://home.comcast.net/~96omi/Google_Markers.jpg

Ack! I forgot my computer. No speed, no cadence, no mileage... the only think I have to go by is my HR and how I feel. What a concept.
    I planned the route to avoid climbs today but had to do one 1/2 miler and did one 1/4 miler by choice. You know me.

It takes me along the Embarcadero alomgside the SF Bay, past Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, the Marina (which you remember from Loma Prieta in 1989), The Presidio (owned by George Lucas now) and to the Bridge across to Marin County.

From here, you can also see Aquatic Cove Pier in the Marina and my goal beyond.

And now I've made it to the pier and my goal is getting closer.

I posted a shot of Mt Tam from my back deck. Here it is a little closer, from the Pier

Then I turned around to look back at the SF skyline

Coming off of the pier I saw short but fairly sharp (I'm guessing 6-7% maybe more?) quarter mile climb.
    I'm feeling pretty good. I'm on the Kaitai. Focusing on my pace and breathing, up I go. I'm passing people! My goodness... it's easy. Really. I never got my heart never got above 155. It's worth mentioning that I only got over 160 twice the whole time. When it got to the top I could here some band playing at the Oyster and Beer Fest. What ever that is.
    It was a nice find.. the band, not the fest... the had it screened off for paid admission. Sorry, not today. As I was leaving, the band started up on Sunny Afternnon by the Kinks. Sweet. I had that in my head for the rest of the ride. "In the summer tiiiiiiime. In the summertiiiiime" Who needs an iPod?

So, farther on, I missed my turn off to the Bridge and ended up at Fort Point under the bridge.
    Well, what the hey, this is a nice place to stop for lunch, so... why not?

The turn was a 1/4 mile back and turned out to be 1/2 mile+ uphill.. again, easy.

Once at the top, one quick turn and I'm on the bridge.
    After an long, easy ride across. I'm in Marin County looking back at San Francisco. I made it!

So, I head back and take this shot south, down the coast.
    A few miles just on the other side is where I live.

And now I'm back at the SF anchorage. The GG Bridge draws tourists from all over the world.
    A Japanese tourist took this shot of one happy guy.

The beauty of the Kaitai is that I can take it anywhere.
    Along the Marina, I followed a rode through a parking lot to a gravel trail.
    At the end of that trail was this view of Alcatraz. The wind brings out the sailboats on the bay.
    But you don't get to see them... posting limits. Sorry.

One thing I realized today is that I am truly lucky to be alive and nothing makes me feel more alive than to be able to push a bicycle along with nothing but my own abilities and to do the things I did today.

You all know exactly what I feel.
    Last edited by SaiKaiTai; 05-19-07 at 11:58 PM.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics, good read, makes me want to do a road trip just to ride out there!

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Talk about sentimental!

I was stationed at the Presidio from 1985 to 1987. I remember getting up early Saturdays and walking with my four year old daughter along those very roads, then over the bridge, altough my daughter would peter out about a third of the way over. Early Saturdays, before the wind whipped up and the maritime traffic got busy, the bay would be glassy smooth, looking almost like a large wading pool. Later in the day I'd enjoy going back to Ft. Point and watch the surfers bash their brains out against the rocks. It takes a certain kind of weirdness to go surfing under the Golden Gate Bridge.

BTW, what is Lucas doing with the Presidio these days? It sure was a lovely place to be stationed for a while.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ride bub! Nice pics too. It was nice here yesterday too, son Chris and I had a nice tour through Springfield. We are seeing lots of parts of town that we would otherwise NEVER come across. Found "The Mansion" bed and breakfast in of all places, Elfindale yesterday. Right in the heart of town. It's remarkable, of course no camera though.

I did know San Francisco had a Golden Gate Bridge though. Oh, did I say nice ride?
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics. Looks like you had a great time.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the posts and pics!! Indeed we know of exactly of what you speak.

Exploring roads and areas accessible by bike on my Trek Mountain bike was the appeal to me for getting started back to riding 6 years ago. It is a strong and addictive motivator-and a good one at that!!

I very much enjoyed seeing pictures of area we have visited several times. It is a beautiful place.......What would it take to ride over to the Redwood Forest north of Sausalito????? Would be interesting to do that by bike.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You make it sound like a truly great day out.

When I was browsing bikes the other day, I came across a rack of GF KaiTai's. I immediately thought of you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, that's terrific.

If I ever hit the lottery I'm coming out and ride with all you west coast folks.

...Ah, dreams...

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    Man, that's terrific.

If I ever hit the lottery I'm coming out and ride with all you west coast folks.

...Ah, dreams...
    Don't forget the rest of us Buckeyes when you hit the lottery

I wonder if we could do something about getting one of the oceans moved closer to Ohio?

Fantastic pics, SKT.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That last little steep climb up to the bridge is where I broke my new chain just last month.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You all know exactly what I feel.
    Indeed we do. What an outstanding ride- thanks for the pics! I always wondered- how's the wind on the bridge? And, I sometimes get to SF on business, and I've seen a couple bike rental places- do they let you take them on the bridge and over to Marin?

(I'm sure you're enjoying the glow!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
    That last little steep climb up to the bridge is where I broke my new chain just last month.
    Considering I was out riding for the first time with a new chain and cassette, I guess this wasn't a real worry for me. Be that as it may, I'm glad I read this AFTER my ride and not before.

Quote Originally Posted by MTBLover
    Indeed we do. What an outstanding ride- thanks for the pics! I always wondered- how's the wind on the bridge? And, I sometimes get to SF on business, and I've seen a couple bike rental places- do they let you take them on the bridge and over to Marin?

(I'm sure you're enjoying the glow!)
    Oh, yes, I am absolutely still buzzing from the ride. I already have a ride to follow this one all planned out
    Wind... yeah, the closer I got to the bridge, riding west, the more headwind I hit... this is where it all comes in. There was a pretty stiff crosswind on the bridge itself but it was gusty so no big deal, really. Except in one spot. There are a couple "chicanes" that goe around the bridge towers. I went into one and got smacked with a stright on frontal gust that literally stop me cold. I was moving and then I wasn't. kind weird.

Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    What would it take to ride over to the Redwood Forest north of Sausalito????? Would be interesting to do that by bike.
    I'm thinking Muir Woods? That's a fair ways north of Sausalito. I don't have a handle on the actual miles but the ride down to -and back up from- Stinson Beach/Muir Woods is pretty hairy. Well, for me it would be. For you, probably just a decent little challenge.

As for the rest of you.. Yes, I am truly blessed to have such beautiful scenery to ride through here.
    You owe it to yourselves to get out here at some point and ride through any of it. you won't be disappointed, believe me.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)