Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   PA Calvary at Gettysburg (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/300512-pa-calvary-gettysburg.html)

guybierhaus 05-20-07 08:00 PM

Biking York County and Gettysburg

For Sunday’s ride I traveled 100 car miles to Hanover, York County, PA to ride 30 miles in
the Hanover Cycler’s Horse Farm Tour. This was one of many rides I selected earlier this
year to participate in. Route was very mild, never left the 46t top ring. As the 33rd
annual event, I kind of thought a large turn out would be there; but the numbers looked
more like 85 bikers. As a result I found myself riding alone for most of the ride. Was also
surprised they had no manned breaks on the route, and therefore very glad I grabbed a
banana. Eventually selected a bridge with a flat topped wall to sit on for my own break
at 23 miles. Rested for 10 minutes and nobody ever came by. As the title suggests, there
were a few horse farms in area, and one was open for tours of the stables. Not being a
cowboy, I kept riding. Absolutely no highlights to mention. Cut up veggies, fruit, cookies
and hot dogs for lunch. If I lived in York County I would no doubt ride again next year;
but I will not be driving 100 miles for this next year. Have more interesting roads in my
back yard.

For the second part of my ride, with Hanover just 11 miles from Gettysburg, I figured now
was the time to ride around the battlefield. The map I had looked like the auto tour
route was about 6 miles; but I rode 14 1/2. My map also had a spot labeled “Start Bicycle
Tour”. Which turned out to be a small unpaved lot beside the Wheatfield road. Nothing
else. Nothing further on my map regards a bicycle, nada online. So I pretty much
followed the auto tour route, except for the one spot I rode the wrong way on Reynolds
Avenue. Would have been good if the map would show one way roads, and I really should
have stayed out of downtown Gettysburg. Wound up walking the bike on the pavement
around the town square. The road was so packed with cars around the square I figured
any attempt to act like a car and ride around the square was a sure accident. As seems
to be the case everywhere I ride, I saw much more at my slow pace and even managed to
ride the full length of Confederate Avenue and experienced the Confederate lines and
the start of Pickets Charge. Believe my class trip missed this. So the day ended with 43
miles on the bike and 230 on the car. Next Sunday it’s the birthday ride.

Photos attached of Little Round Top, Devils Den and bike against somebodies monument.

cc_rider 05-21-07 06:15 AM

Try Hagerstown to Antietam. Nice low traffic back roads with pretty farms and old towns. A lot less touristy and less crowded than Gettysburg.
Side trip to Shephard's Town is a nice add.

PPTC does one or two Antietam club rides a year.

guybierhaus 05-21-07 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by cc_rider
Try Hagerstown to Antietam. Nice low traffic back roads with pretty farms and old towns. A lot less touristy and less crowded than Gettysburg.

I haven't completed my planning yet, but was planning on riding a section of the C & O towpath with a side trip to the Antietam Battlefield. Probably stay overnight at motel and ride another section second day before returning to Pottstown, PA.

jppe 05-21-07 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by cc_rider

I have on my list to get up that way and ride and see the battlegrounds hopefully by bike one of these days.

I've also seen where there's an organized up that way-maybe in August or September each year? Are you familiar with that?

Are there any published routes of the Hagerstown to Antietam that I could take a look at by chance?

Thanks in advance for any insights you can share.

cc_rider 05-21-07 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by guybierhaus
I haven't completed my planning yet, but was planning on riding a section of the C & O towpath with a side trip to the Antietam Battlefield. Probably stay overnight at motel and ride another section second day before returning to Pottstown, PA.

Sounds like a good plan. I've biked to Antietam from both directions: club ride down from Hagerstown and solo ride up the C&O from Harpers Ferry. Be prepared for a healthy climb up from the river.
The river gorge around Harper's Ferry is one of my favorite places on the C&O, and the town is a gem.
And don't forget Shepherdstown. Good restaurants, good shops and a good theater scene.

cc_rider 05-21-07 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by jppe
I have on my list to get up that way and ride and see the battlegrounds hopefully by bike one of these days.

I've also seen where there's an organized up that way-maybe in August or September each year? Are you familiar with that?

Are there any published routes of the Hagerstown to Antietam that I could take a look at by chance?

Route not available on the web since the PPTC made the cue library members only.
But I remember the route we took.
Started at the park-and-ride lot on the south side of Hagerstown, route 65 just off the I-70 exit.
Made a gmap, but it doesn't seem to want to save. Here's the club route we used.
65 south
L on PoffenbergerRd
R on Gains Shop Rd
S on Roxbury Rd
R on Barnes Rd
L on Lappans Rd
R on Mill Point Rd
L on Monroe Rd
L on route 34 to Boonsboro
R on route 40 / Main St
R on route 65 / Rohrserville Rd
R on Dog St (turns into Dogstreet Rd)
BR on Dogstreet to Keedysville
L on Main
R on Geeting Lane
S on Keedysville Rd
L on Mansfield (into the battlfield)
L on Smoketown
L on Dunker Church (might be one way, don't remember)
L on 65 to Sharpsburg (Battlefield Market is near here)
R on route 34 / Shepherdstown Pike
R on Mondell (straight takes you across the bridge to Shepherdstown)
L on Bowie Rd
S on Taylor's Landing
R on Tommytown
BL on Houser
L on Spercher
S on Woburn
R on Dam No 4 Rd
RL stay on Dam No 4 Rd
S on Downsville Pike (several miles)
R Rench Rd
L on route 65 back to the park-and-ride.

The roads around there are fun to explore. The hills aren't too bad, except along the river. Some roads, like route 40 and 34, are busy, but most are fine.
Battlefield Market is a good stopping place. Not fancy, but they have good, cheap sandwiches.

bobby c 05-21-07 08:38 PM

JPPE - Perhaps you are thinking of the Civil War Century - a 105 miler that for us normal bikers is rather hilly, for you a couple of minor bumps on the road. http://www.baltobikeclub.org/index.pl/cwc
Here's the profile:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...CWCprofile.jpg
Anyhow it would be great if you can come up, it's on my calendar for sure. Maybe we could ride together, for the 1st 500 yards!

Here's an Antietam ride that another BF'er (Riskus) posted - something that is on my list to do. Anyone ever want to do this please let me know - Antietam is such a powerful place and 8,000 feet of climbing through a beautiful part Maryland would be great. http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/e...kValue=1552995

Artkansas 05-22-07 01:13 PM

I know that the exact location of Calvary is not certain, but I'm fairly sure it's not anywhere near Little Round Top. ;)

jppe 05-22-07 01:27 PM

Thanks BobbyC and CC Rider!!!

The Civil War Century is indeed the one I was thinking of. September 8 might be a really good date for me this year. Now we just have to get gas prices back down so I can afford to so some traveling.

The Antietam ride profile has a couple of really nice "spikes" in it that make my legs hurt just looking at it. I also noticed what looks like the last 5-10 miles is uphill to the finish.......

bobby c 05-22-07 01:36 PM

Thanks BobbyC and CC Rider!!!

The Civil War Century is indeed the one I was thinking of. September 8 might be a really good date for me this year. Now we just have to get gas prices back down so I can afford to so some traveling.

The Antietam ride profile has a couple of really nice "spikes" in it that make my legs hurt just looking at it. I also noticed what looks like the last 5-10 miles is uphill to the finish.......

Don't worry about any stinkin' gas prices, just point you bike north and start pedalling! Regardless, it should be a great ride and while I haven't spoken w/ the lady of the house yet, we'd proably be able to put you up for the night (though we live an hour away or so).

guybierhaus 05-22-07 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Artkansas
I know that the exact location of Calvary is not certain, but I'm fairly sure it's not anywhere near Little Round Top. ;)

I've been spelling it that way for years. My spell check always said it was spelled correctly. But alas it appears you are correct. As my father told my school, "he can barely speak English, what's he gonna do with French or German?" Will add "Cavalry" to my list of often misspelled words like lisence and sargent.

Artkansas 05-22-07 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by guybierhaus
I've been spelling it that way for years. My spell check always said it was spelled correctly. But alas it appears you are correct. As my father told my school, "he can barely speak English, what's he gonna do with French or German?" Will add "Cavalry" to my list of often misspelled words like lisence and sargent.

Yeah, I have that problem too. That's what made me sensitive. License is a toughie for me too and weird. I want to spell it wierd, but a lady friend said it was a weird way to spell wierd.

guybierhaus 05-22-07 03:30 PM

Dang. I have to add weird to my list. I use it in conversation but could never spell it.