Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Lock bike up at a stop?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Lock bike up at a stop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-07, 07:46 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Lock bike up at a stop?

I'm definitely on the trusting as opposed to paranoid side when it comes to worrying about bike theft, but having a road bike is a bit of a new deal for me, and it is just so easy for someone to steal an unsecured bike by just tossing it into the back of a pickup, etc.

I always like to have a destination as an excuse for a ride, so was planning out an early-AM solo jaunt and have decided to ride out to a semi-rural town (Romeo, MI, in case you know the place) and stop for breakfast at a well-known cafe on the main street. But what should I do, if anything, about locking the bike up while I'm inside? I do own a U-lock, but don't have an easy way to carry it on the road bike, and of course it's that much more dead weight. I also have an old lightweight cable lock that is almost a joke, but is probably better than nothing.

So should I bother with this at all, or is it really something to be concerned about? I could always try to sit where I can keep an eye on the bike, but that might not be possible.

I might add that my wife is of the opposite opinion on this, and won't even go into a place to grab a cup of coffee unless one of us is standing outside next to the bikes. But then again she grew up in an urban environment where theft was more of any everyday concern...
Old 05-17-07, 08:41 AM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Group of us go to a restaurant in small town Kansas and none of us lock bikes,,,we have all kinds, but good bikes. That does not mean you are safe. Guess what I am saying is that you have to know the area and the possible likelyhood of someone thinking they can get something for nothing. That being said, when I am by myself I usually lock my bike, I have one of those rolled up cable locks. Keeps my mind from wandering and wondering if anything is happening outside where my bike is...... ... .. . .peace
Old 05-17-07, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I figure anyone who leaves a $900 bike unattended without some kind of lock is crazy. I carry a cable and fair quality padlock. It would discourage the casual thief. Between my extra 10 lbs of lard and all the crap I've loaded on my road bike: Armadillo tires, mtn bike cluster and derailleur, carrier with my junk bag, mirror, bell, air pump, underseat tool bag, bottle(s?) of Gatoraid, I don't think the lock is that much more weight.
Old 05-17-07, 08:48 AM
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We never leave a bike unlocked up here...even for a few minutes. Also, I'd stay away from those cable locks, every bike thief carries bolt cutters and can cut through these in a sec.

I always carry a U-Lock in a bracket attached to the seat tube...weight is not an issue here
Old 05-17-07, 08:48 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Call me parinoid, but when I take the bikes places to ride they are locked to something almost all time that they are not in motion. In addition I carry a picture of the bikes and the serial # off the bottom bracket to give to the local authorities if necessary.

One or 2 relatively light cable locks will do for all but the most theft prone areas. Carry them wrapped around the seatpost. Thread them through the frame and the front wheel and something imbeded in the ground when locked up.
Old 05-17-07, 09:16 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Floyd
Guess what I am saying is that you have to know the area and the possible likelyhood of someone thinking they can get something for nothing. That being said, when I am by myself I usually lock my bike, I have one of those rolled up cable locks. Keeps my mind from wandering and wondering if anything is happening outside where my bike is...... ... .. . .peace
+1

We never lock out bikes when we visit our regular restaurant on the breakfast ride. Of course the bikes are in front of the large windows where we can keep an eye on them. The bike is always locked when visiting other areas. I carry a small link chain and fasten it to a pole, etc. I know it would be easy to cut but it will probably keep it safe from that kid stealing it on impulse. It's like locking the car doors - it doesn't stop the professional thief but keeps it safe from the majority of people.

I normally transport the bike inside the van but have a combination cable lock I use when I put it on the bike rack. I also like to park where I can see the van when traveling. When staying at a hotel I simply take the bike to my room.

How many people leave their computer on the bike? I always left the old ones on the bike but now remove the Garmin when I park the bike. It would be so easy for someone to unclasp and walk away with it.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-17-07, 09:24 AM
Boomer

Good point about the computer, carry that away in a pocket.

The other useful thing is the Topeak seatpost rack and bag system that I install on the bike when day tripping. The bag is big enough for me to carry tubes and sufficient tools to fix any of the bikes as well as jackets snacks and stuff. The bag quick disconnects from the rack with a single button push and comes with a stap so you can take it in with you
Old 05-17-07, 09:25 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have used the following policy on a wide variety of foreign and domestic bike tours with great success: Don't be paranoid. Put a reasonable faith in the honesty and good nature of most people, but use your head.

In small rural towns, I often feel completely safe leaving the bike unlocked, but I do keep my camera, passport, and wallet with me. In bigger towns, I use a cable lock. I know this approch won't make me completely safe, but I don't expect life to be completely safe. Worst case, I might have to buy another bike someday, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. In 30 years of riding, I've never had anything stolen.
Old 05-17-07, 10:22 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I have a cable lock that I occasionally use. Most of the time I don't carry it. I generally stay with the bike or leave it briefly in a very conspicuous place where anyone else taking it would be noticed. Sometimes I will take my bike into a store or restaurant with me.

I have had 2 bikes stolen in my lifetime. Both were locked inside garages when they were stolen.
Old 05-17-07, 10:43 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride through small, rural towns in Wisconsin. Very few people lock their bikes where I ride. Just the other day I pedaled up to a little cafe and there were 6 bikes in front of it, none locked up. And three of them were pretty nice bikes.

That said, I do carry a $3 cable lock on me. Lightweight, combo lock so there is no key to worry about. Definitely wouldn't use it in Madison, or for overnight security, but for a 30 minute stop in a small town, I think it is sufficient.

Mine is a lot like this one - except it is a "Master Lock" brand.
https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Cab...420473&sr=1-24

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-17-07, 12:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lock my bike all the time even when it's in the garage. I carry a lock with me most times and ensure it's locked when I enter a grocery store or restaurant. I would never take a chance leaving the bicycle unlocked. On my Dahon D7, I usually take a rear bag where I keep the On-Guard U bolt and cable lock and BTW it's one of the LBS recommendation for brand. It is quite expensive but then a good deterrent against theft.
Old 05-17-07, 03:38 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Any kind of lock tends to keep honest people honest.
About a year ago I was at the library. When I came out, my rear wheel was missing. I used a heavy cable lock, but just ran it through the frame, not the wheels. I "thought" the library would be "safe".
No more QR's on my bike.
Old 05-17-07, 06:16 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Now you've jinxed me!

There are certain things that a bike rider should never say: "I get very few flat tires." "I've never been bitten by a dog while bicycling." "I seldom lock up my bike at restaurant stops."

So I won't.
Old 05-17-07, 09:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Self-locking bike

Another option is the self-locking bicycle shown in this youtube movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3dMUCiZDug

Not for sale, though.
Old 05-18-07, 09:31 AM
Fred

Bikes: '08 Trek FX3, '89 Novara Pondorosa, '96 Trek 2200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Has anyone tried common handcuffs?

Portable, pocket sized, every cop carries your spare key, and the thought that a cop could own the bike might deter some thieves.
Old 05-18-07, 09:56 AM
Boomer

Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall

Portable, pocket sized, every cop carries your spare key, and the thought that a cop could own the bike might deter some thieves.
No..........at least not on a bike
Old 05-18-07, 10:03 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The only pair I have are made with mink. Would they work?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-18-07, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrafl
I lock my bike all the time even when it's in the garage. I carry a lock with me most times and ensure it's locked when I enter a grocery store or restaurant. I would never take a chance leaving the bicycle unlocked. On my Dahon D7, I usually take a rear bag where I keep the On-Guard U bolt and cable lock and BTW it's one of the LBS recommendation for brand. It is quite expensive but then a good deterrent against theft.
GW's spy satalite is hovering over your house?
Old 05-18-07, 11:19 AM

Bikes: Trek 7100, Fuji Newest 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not locked it as I usually don't venture far from the bike. I do however have a coiled cable that I can carry if I know I am going to be away from the bike. I do lock with 2 cables when the bike is on the trunck mounted rack. Cable the 2 wheels and frame to the tow eye under the bumper. Cabling to the rack is useless as a thief can cut the straps and carry the whole thing away.

T
Old 05-18-07, 11:41 AM
Hypoxic Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Plagarizing from somewhere else on bikeforums:
Every bike weighs 40 pounds.
A 20 pound bike requires a 20 pound lock.
A 30 pound bike requires a 10 pound lock.
A 40 pound bike doesn't need a lock.
Old 05-18-07, 11:44 AM
ReNewing Rider

Bikes: old 10-speed...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've heard the keys are easy to get. I carry a cable and lock but have never left my bike unattended yet. I even keep it in the house since the detached garage doesn't lock and we often leave the door open (I should put a sign there it saying "PLEASE STEAL SOME OF THIS JUNK").
Old 05-18-07, 11:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
GW's spy satalite is hovering over your house?
If not GW and his cronies, it's big brother always hovering nowadays. They can steal my car but not the bikes.
Old 05-18-07, 06:42 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting discussion. The two bikes I have lost had cable locks on them, so I use only U locks now. I got a Kryptonite that is only about 6 inches. I carry it on top of my wedge bag so it is there if I make a quick stop. If I am planning longer stops, I take a bigger K along and use both locks. I guess the answer is that if you can stop for coffee and not worry about the safety of your unlocked bike, then you don't need a lock. If worry about your bike interfers with the enjoyment of your joe, then lock that sucker up.
Old 05-18-07, 06:51 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You've had two bikes stolen while on bike rides & during quick stops?

Were those rides in D.C.?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-18-07, 06:58 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
My bikes are my sole means of transportation. I lock every time I park, no matter where.

Once I went into a gas station to buy extra water. As I was locking up to a post outside, a couple of guys at a table said, "You don't have to do that. We'll watch it for you." (It's amazing, BTW, what suburban people will call a sidewalk café. A plastic table outside a gas station?)

Just then a driver who had been fueling her car, hung up the pump and hit the lock and alarm button before going inside to pay.

"See that?," I asked. "I lock my bike for the same reason that lady just locked her car."

I think they got it. At least they weren't offended.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.