Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: weird LBS story

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

weird LBS story

Over a year ago we went to a friends recommended LBS (somewhat local, not real close) to look at a road bike for my wife. She'd been riding her Mtn. a ton and was even commuting on it. She wanted a roadie.
    When we were looking the LBS guy kept pointing out the colors, and that they were available in pink. My wife kept asking about gearing, and why this bike was better than that bike. The LBS guy kept talking colors. Every time my wife asked a question, we'd get "this color really sparkles in the sun." or some such nonsense. So we left and bought it elsewhere.

Yesterday we were out on a long ride a ways from home and went by to pick up a chain keeper because her triple throws the chain sometimes. We get the same guy, who doesn't remember us.

He says "On your bike we fine we don't need them." Even though the place is busy on a Sunday he says "Let's look at your front derailleur." He adjusted it, commented her seat seemed low, had her hop on, did a quick measurement, raised the seat a small bit and charged us a mere 10 bucks. I'm amazed. Where was this attitude last year? Was it because we rode in this time? If I'd have known this was his service attitude we'd have purchased her Trek there.

This store is too far away to be my regular go-to LBS, but I'll go back there now and drop some money.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing he had just talked to my wife, who's only concern be that her bike be powder blue. She has gloves and jersey to match. Shame she never rides it anymore.

But I digress. Perhaps the LBS dude had had a bad day.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe he's learned and changed over the past year. What would be wierd about that?

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    Maybe he's learned and changed over the past year. What would be wierd about that?
    It would be great, but it would be weird. After all, how often do you know of that people really mend their evil ways? I know i have trouble fixing me.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew
    It would be great, but it would be weird. After all, how often do you know of that people really mend their evil ways? I know i have trouble fixing me.
    Well, seeing as how I meet every week with a group of people who have all done just that....