Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

weird LBS story

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

weird LBS story

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-07, 12:18 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
weird LBS story

Over a year ago we went to a friends recommended LBS (somewhat local, not real close) to look at a road bike for my wife. She'd been riding her Mtn. a ton and was even commuting on it. She wanted a roadie.
When we were looking the LBS guy kept pointing out the colors, and that they were available in pink. My wife kept asking about gearing, and why this bike was better than that bike. The LBS guy kept talking colors. Every time my wife asked a question, we'd get "this color really sparkles in the sun." or some such nonsense. So we left and bought it elsewhere.

Yesterday we were out on a long ride a ways from home and went by to pick up a chain keeper because her triple throws the chain sometimes. We get the same guy, who doesn't remember us.

He says "On your bike we fine we don't need them." Even though the place is busy on a Sunday he says "Let's look at your front derailleur." He adjusted it, commented her seat seemed low, had her hop on, did a quick measurement, raised the seat a small bit and charged us a mere 10 bucks. I'm amazed. Where was this attitude last year? Was it because we rode in this time? If I'd have known this was his service attitude we'd have purchased her Trek there.

This store is too far away to be my regular go-to LBS, but I'll go back there now and drop some money.
Old 05-21-07, 01:00 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I'm guessing he had just talked to my wife, who's only concern be that her bike be powder blue. She has gloves and jersey to match. Shame she never rides it anymore.

But I digress. Perhaps the LBS dude had had a bad day.
Old 05-21-07, 04:46 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Maybe he's learned and changed over the past year. What would be wierd about that?
Old 05-21-07, 05:39 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Maybe he's learned and changed over the past year. What would be wierd about that?
It would be great, but it would be weird. After all, how often do you know of that people really mend their evil ways? I know i have trouble fixing me.
Old 05-21-07, 06:20 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
It would be great, but it would be weird. After all, how often do you know of that people really mend their evil ways? I know i have trouble fixing me.
Well, seeing as how I meet every week with a group of people who have all done just that....