Thread: saddle question

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

saddle question

I noticed while riding the other day, when I was sprinting I had a tendency to get as far back on the saddle as I could. Should I try to set my saddle farther back so I can maintain more power all the time. ? If that's the case, I'll have to get a set back seatpost, because I'm all out of rail on the B 17. Thanks for any input, or suggestions.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George,
    You got farther back on the saddle to apply more leverage to the pedals. Good. Much of the time riding, however, you aren't really sprinting, but rhythmically spinning the pedals...which works better a little farther forward than your hard pushing, farther back seat position. Unless you have thighs of steel and a heart to match and a strong, flexible back, be careful pushing that seat into a permanent "push" position.

Fit being relative you might consider that your original seat position was too far forward, which would make a farther back seat seem more comfortable and efficient. If your saddle was close to farthest back already, are you sure your frame (top tube) and stem extension are ideal. As people always say, you might take the bike back to the shop to have them look at your set-up on the bike.

*** I'm probably wrong, but don't B-17 have unusually short saddle rails?
    Last edited by CrossChain; 05-22-07 at 06:34 PM.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks CC, and yes, the rails are short. I've been reading some good reports on the Selle San Marco Rolls and I'm looking around for a good price. To get back to the bike fit, I have the saddle all the way back and from the front of the stem to the back of the saddle is 33" and to the farthest point on the trekking bars is 36", but I seem to keep my hands at the top of the curve in the hand shake mode or on the front bars. I was thinking I should drop the bars some more to possibly give me more reach.This isn't a good time to get a new bike, so I have to make this one work for a while. and I really like the steel over the aluminum, much better ride.
    George

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That, or look into a new seat post with some rear extension to it. That would let you keep your nice Brooks and spend less $$$ to get the same effect. +1 on the steel comment.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at the San Marco Rolls just recently. I decided against because it does not have the cutout in the saddle. Probably I was thinking back to a good few years ago whaen all the top bikes had the Rolls fitted. It probably is still a good saddle but I think R&D has come up with a few better saddles nowadays.

I finished up with a Sell San Marco "Aero". It has the cutout and a bit more cushioning and is the same shape as the Rolls but has proved to be comfortable to me.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan