Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need reading glasses to see your bike computer?

I've had a problem for awhile (OK, since I was in my early 40's) seeing my bike's computer as my reading vision has declined. On top of that, I am nearsighted, meaning I wear glasses so see distance. So it was always difficult to read my computer while riding without taking my eyes off t he road for too long. About 6 months ago I got a Garmin 305 - a fabulous computer that I absolutely love. While it was bigger, I still had problems reading it.

A couple of weeks ago a friend pointed me to a solution that has worked great with riding eyewear - regardless if you wear corrective glasses, contacts or don't need either of them - stick on bifocals:

In my case, I put one on on the right side of my riding glasses (I kept the left lens free so I can easily ready my road mirror with my left eye w/out moving my head). I have riding goggles with a prescription insert - I put the stick-on on the insert, though it could have gone on the goggles directly. They are very easy to trim, attach, remove and re-attach as necessary.

In my case it made a world of difference - though it took a ride or two to get used to the lens on just one side. I love it - I can easily read my computer and it was an inexpensive solution. We attached the other one (it comes in sets of two) to my wife's goggles (she doesn't need any insert) - works great for her as well.

I got mine at: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/sear...ifocal&p1=&p2=

My rating? 4.5 rhubarb pies (out of 5)

Wes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use them on both sides of mine. Stuck on the very bottom of the sunglasses, they are just right for letting me see my computer, cue sheet, etc, but end at handlebar level in my vision, so everything distant I see without them.

On one pair of sunglasses that isn't very big, I trimmed the stick-on lenses so they wouldn't take up too much of the sunglass real estate (and would still end at handlebar level). I love the stick-on lenses, and use them on my safety glasses at work, too.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Bike Friday Tikit, Brompton M3LA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish I had read this befor I ordered the lenses for the inserts on my riding glasses. Will keep them in mind if I have to do it again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get progressive sport lenses.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 1.2, Specialized Sirius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do we determine which strength is right for us?

My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Trek Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jp173
    How do we determine which strength is right for us?
    Go to the drug store (or Dollar store if you're going to buy any) and try the readers. Use the lowest power you need.

THANKS to the original poster. I had asked the source for these yesterday on the thread about bifocal contacts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just today I threw my computer in the ditch. It lost all of it's settings on day two. When I got home, the rest of it went in the trash. bk

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby c
    I've had a problem for awhile (OK, since I was in my early 40's) seeing my bike's computer as my reading vision has declined. On top of that, I am nearsighted, meaning I wear glasses so see distance. So it was always difficult to read my computer while riding without taking my eyes off t he road for too long. About 6 months ago I got a Garmin 305 - a fabulous computer that I absolutely love. While it was bigger, I still had problems reading it.

A couple of weeks ago a friend pointed me to a solution that has worked great with riding eyewear - regardless if you wear corrective glasses, contacts or don't need either of them - stick on bifocals:

In my case, I put one on on the right side of my riding glasses (I kept the left lens free so I can easily ready my road mirror with my left eye w/out moving my head). I have riding goggles with a prescription insert - I put the stick-on on the insert, though it could have gone on the goggles directly. They are very easy to trim, attach, remove and re-attach as necessary.

In my case it made a world of difference - though it took a ride or two to get used to the lens on just one side. I love it - I can easily read my computer and it was an inexpensive solution. We attached the other one (it comes in sets of two) to my wife's goggles (she doesn't need any insert) - works great for her as well.

Yes!! I've been using these on my sunglasses for almost two years now. My distance correction is so slight that I can do without it when I ride, so I bought some Native sunglasses. They come with several different lenses, but the only ones I use regularly are the grey polarized when it's sunny, and the amber ones when it's cloudy. Since I must have reading glasses, I bought stickon bifocals for each set of lenses. They went on easily, function perfectly, and let me read maps, menus at rest stops, and the bike computer. Amazing how water alone holds them on so securely.
    Last edited by bernmart; 05-24-07 at 08:47 PM.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Specialized Sequoia Elite

My Bikes
    A Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe and a Trek hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not for nothing is this the 50+ forum. Thanks! This is the best suggestion that I've seen in ages! Thank you a million times.....this is going to improve my rides 1000%...I just gave up trying to read my sport watch or my computer whle I rode, waiting till the end to fish my glasses out of my seat pack and see my numbers.

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted about the multi focal contact lenses the other day, well they are ordered I got a free trial pair from Bausch and Lomb can't wait till I get them to see how they work, if I can deal with them I'm gonna be one happy camper. I will be able to obsess on a whole new thing SUNGLASSES cool

Old Frogman
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby c

I have been using the stick on lenses for several years and they work great. I don'd need any help with distance vision but closer than arms reach is pretty much not readable. Is readable a word?
    "The only easy day was yesterday" "It only hurts for a little while"

05 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    07 Specialized Roubaix Comp

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I"ve got to try those!! I am very farsighted and wear tri-focal glasses. I have a pair of contacts that allow ok distance vision, but I'm at a loss up close. Had been wearing a pair of older glasses with clip-ons to ride. That would allow me to wear my contacts with regular bike glasses, which would be much lighter.

My Bikes
    Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using one of those for a couple years now- and like you, on one lense only. Works great.
    Ordered mine off internet- but noticed WALGREENS carries them now.

My Bikes
    mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone mentioned stick on lenses for reading a cycling computer. I needed something like these for a roadside repair.
    Who am I?
    Where did I come from?
    Why am I here?
    Where am I going?

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dellphinus
    I've been using one of those for a couple years now- and like you, on one lense only. Works great.
    Ordered mine off internet- but noticed WALGREENS carries them now.
    I have a Walgreens close to my home and must stop in to see if they have them. Reading the computer has always been a problem with just regular non prescription sunglasses. Couldn't tell what the computer said until the ride was over and I switched back to my regular specs.
    Ride On!

My Bikes
    mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked the local Walgreens today. The stick on lenses were just a few feet from the reading glasses. They stocked one package each of three different strengths: +1.50, +2.00, and +2.50. The cost $ 9.99 per package of two lenses.
    Who am I?
    Where did I come from?
    Why am I here?
    Where am I going?