Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Cycling really WILL make you younger! (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/301527-cycling-really-will-make-you-younger.html)

xlrogue 05-23-07 03:03 PM

Cycling really WILL make you younger!

Today was one of those rare days I'm glad I picked up the newspaper--right there on the front page was a story about a new study that found that exercise actually reverses muscle aging! I think several of us have been suspecting this lately, but here's actual scientific proof.
http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/p...15/1033/NEWS01

If that doesn't keep us on our bikes, I don't know what will!

crtreedude 05-23-07 03:07 PM

Okay, good enough, but what does it do for white hair - hmmmm?!

stapfam 05-23-07 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crtreedude

If Offroad- That is the trail dust acting as a camoflage.

Jet Travis 05-23-07 03:22 PM

Quote:

It made mine go away. Even the hair on my legs is barely coming back.:eek:

will dehne 05-23-07 04:03 PM

Let us hope this is true. Us older guys like anything what slows down that clock from ticking.

Einsteins great contribution was Relativity of Time. Ever since we have tried to cheat the relentless clock.
We cannot yet travel at the speed of light, so exercise must do for now.:rolleyes::)

Tom Bombadil 05-23-07 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet Travis
It made mine go away. Even the hair on my legs is barely coming back.:eek:

:roflmao: :roflmao:

See, it makes you more aero too!

You don't want a lot of gray hair obscuring your beautiful new ripped muscles.

robtown 05-24-07 05:31 PM

Quote:

You have hair!?

crtreedude 05-24-07 05:32 PM

yeah, think Gandalf, but I fear very soon, Gandalf the White!

roccobike 05-24-07 05:41 PM

Does this mean if I cycle enough I can go after that hot blonde babe I see on her roadie?

Oh yeah, I forgot, I'm married.

freeranger 05-24-07 06:29 PM

I didn't bother "googling" it, but I remember several years ago, that the New England Journal of Medicine (think it was) came to the same conclusion. I wonder if anyone has ever done a study on longevity and quality of life of older cyclists compared to the general population. I'd think that cyclists live longer and generally healthier lives, but wonder if it's ever been studied?

byte_speed 05-24-07 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xlrogue
Cycling really WILL make you younger!

Does this mean the 50+ forum will be closing soon?

John E 05-24-07 07:41 PM

Good clean living, including ample aerobic exercise, a healthful diet, and a positive mental attitude, is the only known fountain of youth, but it DOES work.

wrafl 05-24-07 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John E
Good clean living, including ample aerobic exercise, a healthful diet, and a positive mental attitude, is the only known fountain of youth, but it DOES work.

I have been riding the past 2 1/2 years and I know my osteoarthritis hasn't come back since. Could it be that the tissue surrounding the knee cap regenerated? Excercise, diet, positive mental attitude and meds surely helped me.

Beverly 05-24-07 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byte_speed

Nope! Cycling may make us feel younger but it hasn't done a thing to cure the wrinkles:(

Louis 05-24-07 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roccobike
Does this mean if I cycle enough I can go after that hot blonde babe I see on her roadie?

Oh yeah, I forgot, I'm married.

No sweat, Rocco. If you ride enough you'll regress beyond the point when you got married and be in the clear.:p

Louis 05-24-07 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byte_speed

Not exactly. None of US will be here because we will be ineligible. However, the NEW members will be the folks who are now in their 90's and 100's:o :p :D