Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Pie on earth

21 miles east of here is a little German town that has a cattle aution every Thurs.
    There is an elderly lady that lives there that cooks for that restaurant and makes pies for
    other business in the community. Great bike ride to ride down, eat lunch and ride back home.
    She usually has coconut (I hate coconut, chocolate and cherry cream.
    After having pot roast, mashed potatos, green beans, salad and rolls, I was having a hard time making up my mind which to eat--chocolate or cherry cream. I tried a cherry cream. But, I was still wondering which was better, so I ate a piece of chocolate. Being as it's as hard to make one's mind up about pie as it is saddles, I tried ANOTHER piece of cherry cream---followed up by another piece of chocolate.
    Well, we still had a tie, so I order another round.

To make a long story short--6 pieces of pie ( and these are BIG pieces of pie) after all the pot roast and etc.

Luckily I was on a business trip, so I had to take the car--however, whenever I bike down there, I always eat at one of the restaurants that she supplies pie!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by card; 05-23-07 at 07:25 PM.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know which german town in Texas you are referring to, but I've had a couple of fantastic german meals in Fredericksburg, TX

6 pieces of pie in one sitting!!! I think my all-time record is a paltry 2.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    I don't know which german town in Texas you are referring to, but I've had a couple of fantastic german meals in Fredericksburg, TX

6 pieces of pie in one sitting!!! I think my all-time record is a paltry 2.
    Little town is Muenster.

Only 2 pieces?????---amateur

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are doing the Great Divide by foot or on an MTB remember to stop at Pie Town, NM. Visit their site for details on their pies
    This space open

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ken cummings
    If you are doing the Great Divide by foot or on an MTB remember to stop at Pie Town, NM. Visit their site for details on their pies
    I hope to get to Pie Town some day!

2nd best pie I've found so far is Yoder, Ks.--an Amish town just south of Hutchinson. yum yum

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a pie shop on the south side of Madison, actually in Fitchburg, named "LMNO Pies" Some of their pies are very, very good. But I'm not keeping them in business as I've only purchased 3 pies there over the past 5 years.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 pieces of pie- I even doubt that even jppe can do enough milage to work off that amount of Fattening food. Must have been good pie though.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The absolute best pie I think I've ever had was peanut butter pie, at a little restaurant in Shrewsbury, Pa. Have tried the peanut butter pie everywhere that has had it since, but never like that. Don't know where they got it from (they didn't make it), but they only had it for a week, then not again, at least not while I lived near there. My aunt's peach cobbler was a close second, but can cobbler count as pie??

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the only location clue that he gives us is "Texas". That's what, about 1,000 miles from east to west and maybe 700 miles or so from north to south? There's a lot of Texas.

Do you have any idea how long it's going to take me to bicycle to every town in Texas, and how many pieces of quite ordinary commercial pie that I'm going to have to endure, trying to find this place?

Could you narrow down the search for us just a little?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few places in Buck's county,PA,not far from Philly have wonderfull baked goods,German style. NY too,though not like years ago. Rhubarb Tarts, a smallish slightly thinner pie is great, I've had them while visitng Ireland. Rubarb tastes a little like apple in a pie,different, not SO different..very yummy.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want some good pie, and are around Buck's County, Pa., just "get lost" on some back roads and looked for the Baked Goods signs at the end of an Amish driveway. Donna and I used to just go out and drive around back roads, and would often stumble on Amish selling baked goods out of a garage or driveway, and you couldn't get better!!

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Muenster is about 20 miles west of I-35 and just south of the Red River, north central part of state. The have a great bike ride there every spring at Muensterfest.

Bring your hill climbing legs.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by card
    To make a long story short--6 pieces of pie ( and these are BIG pieces of pie) after all the pot roast and etc.

Luckily I was on a business trip, so I had to take the car--however, whenever I bike down there, I always eat at one of the restaurants that she supplies pie!!!!!!!!!
    And did you bring a piece back for us???? Noooooooo!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would definitely not send card out to bring back pie.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure you're 50+? That sounds like a meal for the 16-year-old linebacker on the high school football team. I looooove cream pie, especially chocolate, banana, or coconut. But, oh, the GI discomfort afterwards!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho
    Muenster is about 20 miles west of I-35 and just south of the Red River, north central part of state. The have a great bike ride there every spring at Muensterfest.

Bring your hill climbing legs.
    BINGO!!!!!!!

Go to the sale barn on Thursdays or the Center Restaurant the rest of the days. The same lady cooks.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen
    Are you sure you're 50+?

Yep. 60+.

and I like pie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just south of me, in San Mateo, we have Heidi's Pies. A favorite late night destination for those times when you just GOTTA have more pie. Problem is, it's on El Camino Real - a crappy place to ride a bike
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are all wrong. Best pie on earth was lemon merangue made by my Grandmother.