Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need a new bike!!

I'm taking off a few days and doing some much needed painting around the house. Some of you complained that my garage door needed painting. That's done now. I spent a lot of time yesterday scraping, applying wood filler, sanding and priming and put the final coat on this morning.

Now all I need is a new bike to put in front of the door.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't argue with that logic!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N+1, baby. N+1
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    I'm taking off a few days and doing some much needed painting around the house. Some of you complained that my garage door needed painting. That's done now. I spent a lot of time yesterday scraping, applying wood filler, sanding and priming and put the final coat on this morning.

Wheres the pics so we can see that quality of bike that will be required?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '13 Felt Z3, '08 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll get no argument outta me
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, jppe, based on what I know of your old bikes, I guess I need two or three new bikes.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good, I hope you painted the garage door in the color to complement your new bike!

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, nah, nah.....you always NEED a new bike......now you have earned it. If the garage door is just the right color, here is what would look perfect in front of it.... http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...RODUCT.ID=1852
    order it with a compact crank and you will climb every hill in North Carolina.....
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010
    Nah, nah, nah.....you always NEED a new bike......now you have earned it. If the garage door is just the right color, here is what would look perfect in front of it.... http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...RODUCT.ID=1852
    order it with a compact crank and you will climb every hill in North Carolina.....
    Excellent taste! I've always wanted a red bike and the Colnago would probably look pretty sweet in front of the newly painted garage door.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please let me know if the "I need a new bike cause I painted the garage door" method works. I have my eye on a used Kestrel all carbon for $500 and I need to find a way to tell the wife especially after buying a Toyota Highlander to haul the Specialized XC to the trails.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please let me know if the "I need a new bike cause I painted the garage door" method works. I have my eye on a used Kestrel all carbon for $500 and I need to find a way to tell the wife especially after buying a Toyota Highlander to haul the Specialized XC to the trails.
    I've found the cost / tradeoff approach is quite effective with the missus.
    1. Tell her how much money you're saving in high priced gas due to extra riding with that shiny new bike. (Just don't reveal the actual number of "errands" performed while riding said bike.)
    2. Tell her the cost of your bike is about the equivalent of your health insurance deductible plus co-insurance for a major medical problem. "You don't want me to have a heart attack now... do you.....hon?" (Don't forget the puppy dog face while asking this oh-so sincere question)
    What woman could argue with saving such huge amounts of money....all due to the purchase of a bike?
    hmmm?
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a charter member of the N+1 club, I do not think this argument would get past my wife.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a new 2006 Trek Madone 5.2 full carbon bike today at 50% off - $3299 marked down to $1649 - will these arguments convince my wife that this is money well spent?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    I found a new 2006 Trek Madone 5.2 full carbon bike today at 50% off - $3299 marked down to $1649 - will these arguments convince my wife that this is money well spent?
    Wow!!! That's a steal!

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell her you bought it at a yard sale for $15.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the "I had an affair" arguement someone suggested I use with my LBS. See if that works and get back to me.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming you do not want to go custom and based on your track record for long hilly rides, I suggest a Trek Madone 5.5, Cervelo R3 SL or Look 595 / 585. Since you have a Trek and a Cervelo, the Look may be a nice option. I would like to get a Cervelo R3 SL and relegate my Madone 5.2 SL as a rain/training bike bike. In reality, my next purchase is a power meter.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably not...you could always purchase the bike and ask for forgiveness versus permission, realizing that it may take serveral years to receive it.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein