I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I tell my LBS?

This has been bothering me for two weeks.

I didn't buy my new bike from my favorite LBS, even though they carry Specialized. They always have such a limited selection on the floor, and I have absolutely no patience waiting for a bike to be ordered. I had tested several bikes from time to time with them, but didn't buy any.

I found my new bike at a place called Bike Warehouse, a (local?) chain. But they didn't throw in much like free lifetime tuneups, etc. So after I take the bike in today for the free tuneup I probably won't want to go back there for service - it's a bit out of the way.

So how do I tell the fine folks at Adams Avenue Cycles that I bought the bike elsewhere but I want them to be my service guys? They have already done a fine job on my Univega singlespeed conversion, trying to fit The Diego and getting it up to speed, as well as routine maintenance on the Cypress.

I'm probably making much over nothing. I think I'll just pop in one day, and mention that I bought another bike somewhere else on a bit of a whim. Then I'll say I hope I can bring it here for on-going maintenance -- you guys are the best. Then I'll try to guage their non-verbal behavior.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They will be polite and gladly accept your money to work on the bike.

I'd be real careful where I put my hands on the bike after I got it back.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx
    They will be polite and gladly accept your money to work on the bike.

I'd be real careful where I put my hands on the bike after I got it back.
    Yeah that's what worries me.

Sigh.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Surly Pacer, Trek 520 & gaspipe fixed gear beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just don't say anything. Bring in your bike just like any other customer would and have them do whatever work you want...no questions asked. They'll help you. It's their job and thats how they make their money.

If they know you well and ask where you got the bike from (I doubt that they would do this), you can just say it was a gift if you're really worried about what they think.

[edit: I just realized I accidentally ended up in the 50+ forum after finding this under the View New Posts link...I'm well under 50 so I'll be going now, but hopefully my advice is helpful.]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doubt they'll ask where you got it, but if they do, just say "it's a used one", which it is now. If they assume you mean you bought it used, so be it.

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    So how do I tell the fine folks at Adams Avenue Cycles that I bought the bike elsewhere but I want them to be my service guys? They have already done a fine job on my Univega singlespeed conversion, trying to fit The Diego and getting it up to speed, as well as routine maintenance on the Cypress.

WOW...sounds like you got caught cheating on your spouse. ...Its only an lbs and its a business relationship

Seriously, it shouldn't be an issue...I deal wth 3 bike shops, 2 of which carry mostly the same brands...I've bought many bikes from them and all of them do wrenching for me

I've even bought a frame at one store and had it built at another

Why?...because it's convenient for ME, or if I can save a few $ by going to the shop that offers the best value, or if I can get faster service or parts...

Like all symbiotic business relationships, it should be win-win, but at the end of the day, its my $ and they're the ones that want it...so they have to play nice

Old Enough to Know Better WalterMitty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they ask you could try, stay with me here, telling them the truth.

I know it sounds off-beat and kinda radical, but flip the situation. Would it have been more comfortable to find the bike you wanted, tested it out, made up your mind, then bought it from the outfit that didn't have it in stock?

I try to do business with my LBS, really I do, but I'm also one of those guys that has to see-feel-smell the object I want to buy; particularly if it is a big ticket item I'm not 100% sure of. We ended up buying a bike for my wife from a bike shop in another city because they had the brand on the floor to be seen and she made her decision based on seeing some of the features in person. She measured out to need a bike special ordered and we did it with them since the fitment was part of the deal.

A few days later the subject came up at the LBS and the proprietor said "I could have gotten you that bike". Well, ok, but when I had asked during the preceding weeks about options, we were shown the bikes he had in stock (another brand) and he failed to make the sale. Them's the breaks.
    Youth we got, what we need is a fountain of Smart!

"Does it ever occur to you that I am sometimes thinking?"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd just tell them you test rode it on a weekend fling, couldn't help yourself, fell in love, eloped and got married, and now you want them to take care of it under warranty.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell them it was a stray that followed you home - now it needs it's shots and perhaps a pretty collar...

Wait, are we talking about a bike or a dog?!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    I'd just tell them you test rode it on a weekend fling, couldn't help yourself, fell in love, eloped and got married, and now you want them to take care of it under warranty.
    Thats the way. They'll tell you where to go or accept that you are a customer they can fleece in the future.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no reason to believe they won't do whatever work is necessary and treat you like any other customers. However (I don't know what your relationship was before), there's no reason to expect they'll treat you like a special customer. Based on your comments you took a long time to make a decision and probably spent a lot of time with the people and bikes at the LBS. Maybe you should have considered the possible consequences prior to buying elsewhere.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    I think I like this one best of all.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterMitty
    If they ask you could try, stay with me here, telling them the truth.

I know it sounds off-beat and kinda radical, but flip the situation. Would it have been more comfortable to find the bike you wanted, tested it out, made up your mind, then bought it from the outfit that didn't have it in stock?
    Honesty, huh? Does that stuff really work?

Seriously, that's what I'm gonna do. And if they don't like it, or treat me funny, well, then, they aren't as fine a group of folks as I had thought. Plenty of other LBS's in the area!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope YOU aren't going to need to have shots for picking up strange bikes...

Bikin' and Hikin' RockyTopBiker's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell the LBS that your kids, brother, sister, uncle (whatever works for you) from New York gave you the bike for your birthday.

I only tell a lie when it is absolutely necessary...Richard M. Nixon

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how you could show your face there again, traitor!

(I felt this perspective was not being adequately represented)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go into the LBS and tell them that your "friend" just bought this bike and you were telling him of the best LBS around to get it serviced at. Your "friend" is pretty busy right now so you thought you would help him out.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary,

I believe you have gotten yourself into an unresolvable situation. The only solution is pack her up and ship her to me. Then I can go to my LBS and honestly say "It came from California"
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
    Gary,

I believe you have gotten yourself into an unresolvable situation. The only solution is pack her up and ship her to me. Then I can go to my LBS and honestly say "It came from California"
    That's an excellent suggestion, but the bike has already been smogged and approved for California emisions tests. You'd have to retrofit a lot of things, and it wouldn't be worth it.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm01
    WOW...sounds like you got caught cheating on your spouse. ...
    "Don't worry dear. It's only a used model that my uncle from New York sent to me as a gift."
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would give them a sum equal to the amount you spent on the Roubay! That should patch over any hurt feelings.

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been bothering me for two weeks.
    I didn't buy my new bike from my favorite LBS, even though they carry Specialized.
    so you've already lost 2 weeks of sleep on this - how much more?

They always have such a limited selection on the floor, and I have absolutely no patience waiting for a bike to be ordered. I had tested several bikes from time to time with them, but didn't buy any.
    Ah, rationalization - worth trying, but rarely satisfying

I found my new bike at a place called Bike Warehouse, a (local?) chain. But they didn't throw in much like free lifetime tuneups, etc. So after I take the bike in today for the free tuneup I probably won't want to go back there for service - it's a bit out of the way.
    Ah, Bike Walmart - were you greeted? only kidding, I'm sure they're fine, downhome folks.

Well, it prolly won't be a huge deal, since margins on bike sales are about as heavy as thinly shaved baked ham sandwich slices.
    I'm sure they'll be happy to charge you the max on their 'service' rate schedule.

I'm probably making much over nothing. I think I'll just pop in one day, and mention that I bought another bike somewhere else on a bit of a whim. Then I'll say I hope I can bring it here for on-going maintenance -- you guys are the best. Then I'll try to guage their non-verbal behavior.
    whilst wearing your blonde wig? you'll need that to pull it off
    or
    you can learn to do your own maintenance and be less concerned.

not tryin to preach, Dig. But you brought the subject up. Obviously because its buggin you.
    Often, its not about the money, or instant gratification, its about being able to sleep at night.
    flawed as I am, I have to remind myself of that constantly, like every day ...
    am I being too harsh?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you did a minor bad thing. Man up and tell them the truth. You'll probably catch a little good natured crap about it and everything will be fine after that. At least that's what my shop would do.

BTW, you could take the $125 windfall you just got from the place you bought the bike and spend it on stuff from your LBS. That would go a long way toward getting you back in good grace.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KonradNYC
    Just don't say anything. Bring in your bike just like any other customer would and have them do whatever work you want...no questions asked. They'll help you. It's their job and thats how they make their money.

If they know you well and ask where you got the bike from (I doubt that they would do this), you can just say it was a gift if you're really worried about what they think.

[edit: I just realized I accidentally ended up in the 50+ forum after finding this under the View New Posts link...I'm well under 50 so I'll be going now, but hopefully my advice is helpful.]
    It's OK,no age limit,besides,you're from The Bronx !

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezen
    so you've already lost 2 weeks of sleep on this - how much more?

not tryin to preach, Dig. But you brought the subject up. Obviously because its buggin you.
    Often, its not about the money, or instant gratification, its about being able to sleep at night.
    flawed as I am, I have to remind myself of that constantly, like every day ...
    am I being too harsh?
    It's not THAT serious to me. I haven't lost a moment's sleep. It just feels a little awkward but it will sort itself out. If I take it to Adams someday and they give me a bad vibe, I guess I'd be both surprised and disappointed. They don't seem like that kind of person.

But in retrospect, had I not been so eager to bring the bike home immediately, I would have gone back to Adams and said -- this is the bike, this is the price I can get it for, what can you do?

Oh well, I didn't and that's that. But no, I won't lose sleep over it. In the cosmic scheme of things, it just ain't that important!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast