User Tag List

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garmin Edge 305 users - Rattle?

Did a search on this but found nothing. Does your Edge 305 rattle in the mounting bracket? I have mine on the stem and at first thought it was rattling against that or the top of the fork steerer tube. Upon closer examination, it appears that the unit rattles in the plastic mount. Any others have this problems? If so how did you solve it? I love the Edge but the rattle is driving me nuts.

Biker looking for a ride!
    My Bikes
    Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So can you hold the computer and move it? Is it not tight enough? They sent some rubber with the kit mabe you need to cut and add a small piece under the mount? Got a picture of it mounted?

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine does not rattle. Check the little locking tab, maybe it has some fatigue and is not locking tight. I had one of these break after a 1.5yr of use.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will check the tab, but the unit is brand new. It is not rattling against the stem. My stem is upright enough that I had to use the angled rubber spacer included witht the kit. I'm sure it is plastic on plastic between the unit and the mounting bracket. Thanks for the tips.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think mine is rattling. Good luck getting yours quieted down. I've come to really enjoy having the 305.

I about paniced the other day when mine would not power up. I went to the Garmin troubleshooting guide online and read where the cause for a unit not turning on is usually because of an extremely low charge. It told me what buttons to push while the unit is plugged into power and it magically came back on. This was the night before a big event and I about croaked.......I probably need to find that info again and print that out and put it in my travel bag........

My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Etape 105/Tiagra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine doesn't rattle. I'd try mounting the handlebar bracket it came with too and switching the unit between the two to determine if it's the bracket or the unit that's causing the trouble. If it's just the stem bracket then use the handlebar mount instead, otherwise try experimenting with electrical tape, bits of foam rubber, ham, etc...

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffremer
    Mine doesn't rattle. I'd try mounting the handlebar bracket it came with too and switching the unit between the two to determine if it's the bracket or the unit that's causing the trouble. If it's just the stem bracket then use the handlebar mount instead, otherwise try experimenting with electrical tape, bits of foam rubber, ham, etc...
    Excellent point and idea. Try the second bracket.

I might be mistaken but I think both mounting brackets are the same-just pull off the bottom and rotate it so it will fit the angle of the bar/direction you need.

I did that so I could mount both of mine on the stems of two bikes. Still had to buy a third for the TT bike........

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the brackets are the same. When the tab broke off mine I just switched to the other one.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    I don't think mine is rattling. Good luck getting yours quieted down. I've come to really enjoy having the 305.

I about paniced the other day when mine would not power up. I went to the Garmin troubleshooting guide online and read where the cause for a unit not turning on is usually because of an extremely low charge. It told me what buttons to push while the unit is plugged into power and it magically came back on. This was the night before a big event and I about croaked.......I probably need to find that info again and print that out and put it in my travel bag........
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who had this problem. Like you I logged into the Garmin site and found the answer. Putting the instructions in my bike bag is a good idea...
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for the tips. I will try them. Well all except that ham thing!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the winner is ........................ electrical tape. Half inch strip on bottom of computer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was rattling against a rise in the stem. I used tape & that worked well.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The batteries in my light rattle sometimes.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My buddy's rattled. But I don't know how he fixed it. My bottles rattled in my cages and I double-sided-taped a small piece of old handlebar tape (I save everything) and it worked great. If you need more thickness than the electrical tape . . . just sayin'.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades