Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   A good ride gone bad... (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/302260-good-ride-gone-bad.html)

Beverly 05-25-07 02:11 PM

A good ride gone bad...

Local organizations held another bike-to-work breakfast this morning and the volunteer bike patrol led rides from the breakfast site to various downtown locations. The breakfast was great and the ride along the river to the downtown area was fantastic.

After the event some of us decided to do more riding and stop for an early lunch a couple towns away. After lunch is when things started going downhill fast:( J and I had parked in the same location so we left the others to head back to our cars. We stopped in a parking lot to make a minor adjustment to his bike and when we started again I had one of those major senior moments. I failed to see the parking blocks about 10 feet ahead of me. When I did notice them I jammed on the brakes, unclipped and thought I was safe. The gravel got me. My foot slipped and the bike and I tumbled to the ground. No harm to the bike but I have a major bruise and small gash on my left calf. After picking myself up we hit the trail and headed to the cars. We went about 1/2 mile and I have a flat:eek: This is my third flat on the rear tire in 2 weeks. I grabbed the tube, C02 and started changing it. The C02 won't work...no problem I have a frame pump, too. Finally the tire is changed and we're back on our way. We stop at a rest area to use restroom and get a drink. When we're ready to leave I can only find one glove. After hunting everywhere I tell J to forget it, I'll just buy another pair. As I get on the bike he starts laughing...my missing glove is velcroed to the back of my jersey:rolleyes:

The first place I headed after returning to the car was the bike shop. I now have new tape on the rim and the right size C02 for my unit:o I should have stayed in bed this morning....

BluesDawg 05-25-07 02:17 PM

Sometimes it just be's that way.
:beer:

Floyd 05-25-07 02:40 PM

+1...could happen to any of us....glad you are under control.... peace

Terrierman 05-25-07 03:05 PM

At least you found your glove. Reminds me of looking for my glasses when they are propped up on my forehead. Aren't you glad you carry a pump in addition to the CO2? Good on you for going.

stapfam 05-25-07 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrierman
At least you found your glove. Reminds me of looking for my glasses when they are propped up on my forehead. Aren't you glad you carry a pump in addition to the CO2? Good on you for going.

Belt and braces comes to mind- but this is from someone that does not use or trust CO2. Now the predicament----- I only carry a pump so what do I do when the pump stops working? I Know that this is one of my bugbears and my pumps get a service and check almost as often as my bike- but The number of times it is always my pump that is used on rides- because my pumps never let me down is getting me worried.

Beverly- what bike were you riding- I seem to have lost track of what you have now. On top of that -if you had stayed in bed- you would not have gone to the bike shop and sown the seeds of your next purchase- You must have seen something you might need in the future.

SSP 05-25-07 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stapfam
Belt and braces comes to mind- but this is from someone that does not use or trust CO2. Now the predicament----- I only carry a pump so what do I do when the pump stops working? I Know that this is one of my bugbears and my pumps get a service and check almost as often as my bike- but The number of times it is always my pump that is used on rides- because my pumps never let me down is getting me worried.

In over 25,000 miles of cycling, my CO2 has never once caused me to be stranded. I carry an inflater in my seat bag, with a threadless CO2 cartridge inserted (but not punctured), and two backup CO2 cartridges. I use the smallest seat bag that Trek sells, and there's still plenty of room for a spare tube, a glue-less patch kit, tire levers, etc.

SSP 05-25-07 04:36 PM

Beverly - why wouldn't the CO2 work? Is your inflater one of those that requires threaded CO2 cartridges?

If so, I highly recommend getting a different one. Those threaded cartridges are bloody expensive, compared to the threadless style that you can buy in bulk from Wal-mart for about 60 cents per cartridge.

Beverly 05-25-07 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrierman

The C02 is great but I've seen too many people get stuck on the road when it didn't work. I'm doing some week long tours this year and thought I better be prepared.

Beverly 05-25-07 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSP
Beverly - why wouldn't the CO2 work? Is your inflater one of those that requires threaded CO2 cartridges?

If so, I highly recommend getting a different one. Those threaded cartridges are bloody expensive, compared to the threadless style that you can buy in bulk from Wal-mart for about 60 cents per cartridge.

The cartridges were the wrong size and wouldn't work. I have the threadless. I exchanged the small ones for the right size at the bike shop.

I tried to improvise by placing a small stone in the bottom of the inflator but that only resulted in releasing all the C02 before I could get it completely screwed on :eek: This is only the second time I've ever used them but I'm quickly learning:)

Tom Bombadil 05-25-07 05:59 PM

When I purchased my CO2 inflator, I made sure it accepted both threaded and threadless cartridges, and both 12g and 16g cartridges. as I lacked confidence in my always buying the right one.

Digital Gee 05-25-07 06:00 PM

All my empathy, Bev. Sure doesn't sound like too much fun!

jppe 05-25-07 06:22 PM

Those rides have a way of sneaking in just to remind you how great all the others are. When things go so well for so long we easily take too much for granted.

Beverly 05-25-07 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stapfam

Beverly- what bike were you riding- I seem to have lost track of what you have now. On top of that -if you had stayed in bed- you would not have gone to the bike shop and sown the seeds of your next purchase- You must have seen something you might need in the future.

I was riding the Madone. And yes, I did look at bikes while they were fixing my wheel:rolleyes: They have some really nice recumbents but I don't think I've reached that stage yet.

I'm going on a short ride in the morning with other people so I'll take the bike and checkout the new tape job. Hopefully the rash of flats is over.

Dchiefransom 05-25-07 07:22 PM

At least it was only a glove sticking there. Can you imagine what the motorists would have thought if they'd seen a white streamer following you down the road?

Beverly 05-25-07 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
At least it was only a glove sticking there. Can you imagine what the motorists would have thought if they'd seen a white streamer following you down the road?

:roflmao: :roflmao: They might have thought I was surrendering after all the problems I was having.

Louis 05-25-07 09:49 PM

Glad you weren't hurt any more than you described.

Everyone has rides like that; it always makes me feel like I'm starring in a Three Stooges movie. "WOOP WOOP WOOP":o

Tom Bombadil 05-25-07 10:45 PM

Thank goodness the Madone wasn't damaged!!!

... and that Beverly is okay.

SaiKaiTai 05-25-07 10:55 PM

It's just a scratch... you had to get at least a little giggle out of the glove being velcroed to your jersey but days like that must make you wonder why you even bothered. The beauty is, there's always tomorrow's ride and it will always be better

Floyd 05-26-07 07:43 AM

it will always be better

???Always???

Dellphinus 05-26-07 07:53 AM

some days you're the bug, some days the windshield...

dagna 05-26-07 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beverly
...my missing glove is velcroed to the back of my jersey:rolleyes:

Oh, Beverly, what a day! Glad you have a sense of humor about it.

The glove reminds me of something my dad told me. He was petsitting my dogs yesterday and couldn't find Skye. He said he went around the property twice calling Skye with no result, then finally turned around to find Skye had been following him the whole time :D .

Red Baron 05-26-07 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
All my empathy, Bev. Sure doesn't sound like too much fun!

Ditto!:(

stonecrd 05-26-07 12:28 PM

As long as those days a few and far between they do make for good stories.

I was using CO2 and a small inflator but I seemed to always have some problems getting the cartridged out after I screwed it down. I also change over from a micro pump to the road morph and since it is so easy to pump the tires up with it I figured why should I carry both the frame pump and cartidges, just more weight. So now its only a pump for me.

freeranger 05-27-07 06:31 AM

Had to use my CO2 to inflate a tube when a friend had a flat last weekend. No problem, worked just like it should. It's an Innovations Ultraflate Plus. Works with threaded or unthreaded, 12 or 16 gm. cartridges (I had 12g unthreaded I bought at Walmart). Didn't mean for this to become a product endorsement, but it is a product which is working well for me, so thought maybe I'd pass it on.

Beverly 05-27-07 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeranger
Had to use my CO2 to inflate a tube when a friend had a flat last weekend. No problem, worked just like it should. It's an Innovations Ultraflate Plus. Works with threaded or unthreaded, 12 or 16 gm. cartridges (I had 12g unthreaded I bought at Walmart). Didn't mean for this to become a product endorsement, but it is a product which is working well for me, so thought maybe I'd pass it on.

Thanks. If I buy another one for the other bikes I'll be sure to get look at one that takes multiple size cartridges. I currently have the Innovation Proflate 16.