Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good ride gone bad...

Local organizations held another bike-to-work breakfast this morning and the volunteer bike patrol led rides from the breakfast site to various downtown locations. The breakfast was great and the ride along the river to the downtown area was fantastic.

After the event some of us decided to do more riding and stop for an early lunch a couple towns away. After lunch is when things started going downhill fast J and I had parked in the same location so we left the others to head back to our cars. We stopped in a parking lot to make a minor adjustment to his bike and when we started again I had one of those major senior moments. I failed to see the parking blocks about 10 feet ahead of me. When I did notice them I jammed on the brakes, unclipped and thought I was safe. The gravel got me. My foot slipped and the bike and I tumbled to the ground. No harm to the bike but I have a major bruise and small gash on my left calf. After picking myself up we hit the trail and headed to the cars. We went about 1/2 mile and I have a flat This is my third flat on the rear tire in 2 weeks. I grabbed the tube, C02 and started changing it. The C02 won't work...no problem I have a frame pump, too. Finally the tire is changed and we're back on our way. We stop at a rest area to use restroom and get a drink. When we're ready to leave I can only find one glove. After hunting everywhere I tell J to forget it, I'll just buy another pair. As I get on the bike he starts laughing...my missing glove is velcroed to the back of my jersey

The first place I headed after returning to the car was the bike shop. I now have new tape on the rim and the right size C02 for my unit I should have stayed in bed this morning....
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes it just be's that way.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1...could happen to any of us....glad you are under control.... peace

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least you found your glove. Reminds me of looking for my glasses when they are propped up on my forehead. Aren't you glad you carry a pump in addition to the CO2? Good on you for going.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    At least you found your glove. Reminds me of looking for my glasses when they are propped up on my forehead. Aren't you glad you carry a pump in addition to the CO2? Good on you for going.
    Belt and braces comes to mind- but this is from someone that does not use or trust CO2. Now the predicament----- I only carry a pump so what do I do when the pump stops working? I Know that this is one of my bugbears and my pumps get a service and check almost as often as my bike- but The number of times it is always my pump that is used on rides- because my pumps never let me down is getting me worried.

Beverly- what bike were you riding- I seem to have lost track of what you have now. On top of that -if you had stayed in bed- you would not have gone to the bike shop and sown the seeds of your next purchase- You must have seen something you might need in the future.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Belt and braces comes to mind- but this is from someone that does not use or trust CO2. Now the predicament----- I only carry a pump so what do I do when the pump stops working? I Know that this is one of my bugbears and my pumps get a service and check almost as often as my bike- but The number of times it is always my pump that is used on rides- because my pumps never let me down is getting me worried.
    In over 25,000 miles of cycling, my CO2 has never once caused me to be stranded. I carry an inflater in my seat bag, with a threadless CO2 cartridge inserted (but not punctured), and two backup CO2 cartridges. I use the smallest seat bag that Trek sells, and there's still plenty of room for a spare tube, a glue-less patch kit, tire levers, etc.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beverly - why wouldn't the CO2 work? Is your inflater one of those that requires threaded CO2 cartridges?

If so, I highly recommend getting a different one. Those threaded cartridges are bloody expensive, compared to the threadless style that you can buy in bulk from Wal-mart for about 60 cents per cartridge.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    The C02 is great but I've seen too many people get stuck on the road when it didn't work. I'm doing some week long tours this year and thought I better be prepared.
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    Beverly - why wouldn't the CO2 work? Is your inflater one of those that requires threaded CO2 cartridges?

If so, I highly recommend getting a different one. Those threaded cartridges are bloody expensive, compared to the threadless style that you can buy in bulk from Wal-mart for about 60 cents per cartridge.
    The cartridges were the wrong size and wouldn't work. I have the threadless. I exchanged the small ones for the right size at the bike shop.

I tried to improvise by placing a small stone in the bottom of the inflator but that only resulted in releasing all the C02 before I could get it completely screwed on This is only the second time I've ever used them but I'm quickly learning
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I purchased my CO2 inflator, I made sure it accepted both threaded and threadless cartridges, and both 12g and 16g cartridges. as I lacked confidence in my always buying the right one.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my empathy, Bev. Sure doesn't sound like too much fun!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those rides have a way of sneaking in just to remind you how great all the others are. When things go so well for so long we easily take too much for granted.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam

Beverly- what bike were you riding- I seem to have lost track of what you have now. On top of that -if you had stayed in bed- you would not have gone to the bike shop and sown the seeds of your next purchase- You must have seen something you might need in the future.
    I was riding the Madone. And yes, I did look at bikes while they were fixing my wheel They have some really nice recumbents but I don't think I've reached that stage yet.

I'm going on a short ride in the morning with other people so I'll take the bike and checkout the new tape job. Hopefully the rash of flats is over.
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least it was only a glove sticking there. Can you imagine what the motorists would have thought if they'd seen a white streamer following you down the road?
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
    At least it was only a glove sticking there. Can you imagine what the motorists would have thought if they'd seen a white streamer following you down the road?
    They might have thought I was surrendering after all the problems I was having.
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you weren't hurt any more than you described.

Everyone has rides like that; it always makes me feel like I'm starring in a Three Stooges movie. "WOOP WOOP WOOP"

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank goodness the Madone wasn't damaged!!!

... and that Beverly is okay.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just a scratch... you had to get at least a little giggle out of the glove being velcroed to your jersey but days like that must make you wonder why you even bothered. The beauty is, there's always tomorrow's ride and it will always be better
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it will always be better

???Always???

My Bikes
    Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some days you're the bug, some days the windshield...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    ...my missing glove is velcroed to the back of my jersey
    Oh, Beverly, what a day! Glad you have a sense of humor about it.

The glove reminds me of something my dad told me. He was petsitting my dogs yesterday and couldn't find Skye. He said he went around the property twice calling Skye with no result, then finally turned around to find Skye had been following him the whole time .

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    All my empathy, Bev. Sure doesn't sound like too much fun!

Ditto!
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as those days a few and far between they do make for good stories.

I was using CO2 and a small inflator but I seemed to always have some problems getting the cartridged out after I screwed it down. I also change over from a micro pump to the road morph and since it is so easy to pump the tires up with it I figured why should I carry both the frame pump and cartidges, just more weight. So now its only a pump for me.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had to use my CO2 to inflate a tube when a friend had a flat last weekend. No problem, worked just like it should. It's an Innovations Ultraflate Plus. Works with threaded or unthreaded, 12 or 16 gm. cartridges (I had 12g unthreaded I bought at Walmart). Didn't mean for this to become a product endorsement, but it is a product which is working well for me, so thought maybe I'd pass it on.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freeranger
    Had to use my CO2 to inflate a tube when a friend had a flat last weekend. No problem, worked just like it should. It's an Innovations Ultraflate Plus. Works with threaded or unthreaded, 12 or 16 gm. cartridges (I had 12g unthreaded I bought at Walmart). Didn't mean for this to become a product endorsement, but it is a product which is working well for me, so thought maybe I'd pass it on.
    Thanks. If I buy another one for the other bikes I'll be sure to get look at one that takes multiple size cartridges. I currently have the Innovation Proflate 16.
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast