Thread: My riding buddy

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My riding buddy

Last week I enjoyed a special ride. My youngest son, Kevin, came home to surprise his mother on Mother's Day . . . and to show off his new ride -- a Trek 5000. He stayed an extra day just to ride with his "old man" so I took him on one of my favorite loops, a 26-mile ride with a couple of challenging hills, and some great stretched so he could put his new bike to the test. (Proud dad here -- doesn't my son look spiffy in his new Colorado jersey!)

Found out my 50-year-old legs could not keep up with my 23-year-old son. We decided to open up and pound out the last 8 miles to home. I kept my son in my sights, but could not close the gap and ended up about a quarter mile behind. Decided it wasn't too bad, considering I was riding a Sirrus Comp while Kevin was on a CF road bike many pounds lighter.

We've enjoyed a few rides together, including a family biking vacation on the San Juan Islands in the Pacific Northwest about 10 years ago. We decided a couple months ago to try a century ride (it will be the first for both of us), so we're working out details for a Sept. ride in Wyoming. Any ideas for routes?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Staying within a quarter-mile over a 26 mile course, with him on a true road bike, is pretty darn good! That's within 1%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very heartwarming post.

My two sons have been asking me ride with them but we can't seem to get it done. Their schedules are hectic. In our case, they ride hybred/mtb and I have the roadie(s).

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    Staying within a quarter-mile over a 26 mile course, with him on a true road bike, is pretty darn good! That's within 1%.
    Actually, I set the pace for the first part of the ride. I was chasing for the last 8 miles . . . still, I'm happy!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gee...can't tell you two are related from that pic...

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Story!!! My 2 sons are in Florida, I'm in KY, wish they one day will ride my favrite trails here in KY.

Memories are sure precious aren't they......
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You weren't 1/4 mile behind him, you were 27 years ahead of him.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    You weren't 1/4 mile behind him, you were 27 years ahead of him.
    What you also did not see is how hard he was breathing by the end. In the minute or so it took you to catch him- he probably had his breathing under control.

Without trying to knock your son- You showed up pretty well against a youngster. Only thing is that he was drafting you for the early part of the ride so had enough energy to leave you at the end. You will have to ride with him more often to learn some of the new Cheating techniques that are coming in- Like getting a better bike than Dad has got.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    You will have to ride with him more often to learn some of the new Cheating techniques that are coming in- Like getting a better bike than Dad has got.
    My wife is now nervous every time I go by a bike shop . . . even thought I assure her I'm really happy with my Sirrus.
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quarter mile gap doesn't sound like too much to me

Doing the century with your son sounds great. Have you looked into rides sponsored by local cycling clubs? You would have SAG support and food stops available.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If riding with your son is like riding with my son (which I'm blessed to be able to do regularly) he was being kind to the old man. Which is exactly what he should be doing, he has you to thank for everything.

It's grand to be able to ride with them is it not?
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See Terrierman's post on the Bicycle as Time Machine. Maybe we should start a sticky on riding with family. I rode from San Francisco to Los Angeles with my daughter in 2005. That was special.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades