Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

2 Firsts this week

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

2 Firsts this week

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-07, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
2 Firsts this week

1 - My first week of riding more than 100 total miles! A century for me, who cares if it took 4 separate rides to achieve it.
2 - My first flat on the new bike . Happened Thursday and wouldn't you know it would be the rear wheel. Luckily I've taken to carrying disposable latex gloves in my toolkit, so I was saved from hands full of grease. Also luckily I had a spare with me, as the instant ( self adhesive ) patch kit I got from Performance wasn't worth squat. The repair stop served as a nice unplanned rest. Stopped by the LBS on the way home and picked up a new tube.
Old 05-26-07, 09:27 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Those leaches do not work that well (The glueless patches) But I find that it only takes about 30 seconds fgor glue to go off on a normal repair kit-Gives me a fraction longer rest. Then the Spare tube can stay as a spare tube for a while longer. As to the grease- cycling specific cycling tops work for me - Just wipe your palms on the grass so as not to get your grips dirty- then as you cycle along Wipe your hands on the back of your fellow riding partners

Edit- Stop getting punctures and you can get a longer ride in so 2 rides for 100 next week- Well done on getting the distance up and 4 rides in a week- lucky devil.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-26-07, 09:44 AM

4 rides is easy 'cause I work afternoons and nights. I would get in 5 a week, but just took on some extra work for the summer that kills my Fridays. Also that flat has made me rethink my pre work riding habits. I rode this morning but did boring loops in the park as I would be closer to home if I did get a flat.
Old 05-26-07, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
1 - My first week of riding more than 100 total miles! A century for me, who cares if it took 4 separate rides to achieve it.
2 - My first flat on the new bike . Happened Thursday and wouldn't you know it would be the rear wheel. Luckily I've taken to carrying disposable latex gloves in my toolkit, so I was saved from hands full of grease. Also luckily I had a spare with me, as the instant ( self adhesive ) patch kit I got from Performance wasn't worth squat. The repair stop served as a nice unplanned rest. Stopped by the LBS on the way home and picked up a new tube.
Congratualtions. It took me also 4 separate tries to achieve mine. I share with you the first this week for me as well. 1) Had a flat last Saturday that cut my ride short after 7.7 miles and I walked the bike home and rushed to the LBS. I didnt have any tool kit with me but on my next trip to the LBS, I will inquire about purchasing a basic bike repair kit to bring along with me as my rides have been getting longer. 2) I have accomplished the longest ride on Thursday, 45.5 miles personal record and that is on a folder. My total for the week is 106.83 and as follows, 7.7 (5/19/07) , 21.3( 5/20/07) 45.5(5/24/07) and 32.2(5/25/07). I'm so glad I read your post and calculated what I accomplished this past week in total distance. Now I'm itching to get back on the saddle and break the 50. Again, congratulations to you.
Old 05-26-07, 11:12 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
One of the things you learn to do on a bike is to repair a puncture. Mountain bike amd I am always getting them- Tandem and it normally waits to go down in the shed but the road bike I have only ever had 1 puncture. Only problem I had was getting the pressure up to 100 psi with the arms that I have. Have to change them before the next ride.

Each bike has its own kit of tube, levers and repair kit. One thing I noticed is that I buy the same manufacture of patch kit but the road one has silly little patches in it- about half the size of the MTB one.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-26-07, 11:30 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also that flat has made me rethink my pre work riding habits. I rode this morning but did boring loops in the park as I would be closer to home if I did get a flat.
I would not worry to much about staying near home because of flats. You won't have them very often and they only take a few minutes after you have done 1 or 2. Last week wife and I were coming home with a deadline set by her to have time to shower and watch something on TV. We are 2 miles from home and she has a flat and say "oh no, we'll never make it". I had her time me on the first flat on her bike and it took me 7 minutes without really hurrying. We made her deadline and all was well.
Old 05-26-07, 04:12 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
Congratulations!

My flats always seem to be on the rear tire

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-26-07, 05:36 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Excellent! I am nowhere near that mark as yet. I might have done close to 50 on the week where I took a 26 mile ride, but as I don't track my miles closely, I don't remember.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-26-07, 07:06 PM

I never kept track either until I bought a Garmin Edge last year. Their software keeps track for me.