ReNewing Rider
    My Bikes
    old 10-speed...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happened to kickstands?

So, I got this spiffy new $980 "bargain" bike and when I'm not on it, I'm always trying to lean it just right so it doesn't get scratched and/or fall down. Why has everyone abandoned the simple kick stand? Too heavy? Too Fred? Why doesn't any one make one out of carbon 'cause carbon anything is cool, right? I don't understand. Someone clue me in here...

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a 'real' bike rider but I think you have hit the nail on the head,,, A real biker does not want the weight...to Fred, not sure. I am with you, and have a problem when I can not park my bike 'just anywhere'..
    I apologize ahead of time to the "real" bikers out there...i am an exercize biker.
    peace

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine fell off on my first bike in 51 and I never wanted one since.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kickstands rule
    Irregardless is not a word, and you do not sound more intelligent using it.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why stop once one starts an adventurous journey?

And ignoring the philosophical perspective: 1)Carbon does not 'wear' well -fibers start to deterioate. & 2)Why add weight, marks up the frame, etc.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manufacturers have long since adopted the formula N-1 = the number of kickstands that will come with your bike, where N = the number of kickstands you think it should have.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was always rattling. But I agree about the scuff marks....I rest the bike against brick at home and cement at work when I'm loading or unloading and I probably should get a two-legged kickstand for that situation (one-legged and the bike might fall over when loaded).

ReNewing Rider
    My Bikes
    old 10-speed...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Mine fell off on my first bike in 51 and I never wanted one since.
    The one on my old 10-spd stayed on for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron
    And ignoring the philosophical perspective: 1)Carbon does not 'wear' well -fibers start to deterioate. & 2)Why add weight, marks up the frame, etc.
    I can understand the weight issue for those who are concerned about every gram. I have to believe though, that there are lots of cyclists who aren't that worried about a few grams. When I asked this question at the LBS, the owner said something about potential liability being a reason kickstands aren't standard on bikes anymore. Was there a big lawsuit involving a kickstand injury (that almost sounds comical) at some point?

If an entire bike frame can be made from carbon, certainly a kickstand could. The end touching the ground would have to capped with plasitc and/or rubber but that could easily be done.

My Bikes
    Ridley Crossbow, Kogswell Porteur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Novara Fusion has a kickstand. It wasn't able to hold the bike up when it had loaded panniers on it.

Kickstands only show up on commuter bikes these days.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Since I have a kickstand on my road bike should I change its name from "Road Warrior" to "Super Fred"?

It does by the way weigh 21 lbs with pedals, bottle cages, computer and the offending kickstand.

My Bikes
    A Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe and a Trek hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a kid, all our bikes had kickstands. Duh. When I grew up and got into better and nicer bikes, it drove me crazy that not only did virtually NO bikes come with kickstands, but that it was apparently considered dorky, undesirable, no-way, whatever. Screw that. I have kickstands on all my bikes, and feel vastly superior to everyone else who lays down their costly machines on the gravel/cement while mine remains upright, fully supported, ready to ride away. So there!

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwy 40 Blue
    Screw that. I have kickstands on all my bikes, and feel vastly superior to everyone else who lays down their costly machines on the gravel/cement while mine remains upright, fully supported, ready to ride away. So there!
    I guess that's why they have chocolate and vanilla.

None of our bikes have kickstands and I can't remember a situation when I wished that I had one. I will admit to having a gizmo that holds a bike by the left crankarm that I frequently take with me to events. One nice thing about laying your bike in the grass is that it can't possibly fall over.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For mtn biking-too dangerous--wouldn't want a stand to come down when hitting a root, rock, whatever!
    Road bikes-don't know-but it's the one part which doesn't seem to have ever been subjected to new technology-they are the same today as I remember them from over 40 yrs. ago. Would seem someone would have come up with a "stealthy carbon fibre, disappear into the frame" type stand somewhere along the line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No fan of kickstand but it support the bike upright and keep away some debris getting on your chains and cranks if you lay down the bike on the side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know two VERY strong riders (one went from Reno to Yosemite, 220 miles over a 9900-foot pass, in a little over 15 hours last year) who use kickstands, but I think it's a fashion statement. One of them also has a basket on the front of his Rivendell. He wants to say, "I have a basket and a kickstand and I'm STILL in front of you."
    I had one on my SS for awhile, but it was always falling over. The bike's pretty big, 65cm, and i think the leverage just overpowered the stand. I lay it down now if there's noplace to lean it.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no place I'd leave my bikes unlocked, so I don't need a kickstand. Whatever I've locked to holds them up. (At home, they hang from a hook in the living room.)
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put a kickstand on my Jamis Coda commuter. Think it is a great idea and am considering putting one on my road bike.....but I am 'Fred' personified.

For those considering it, even though I did put part of an inner tube on both sides of the kickstand, I scratched the underside of my chain stays. Now I have 'gaffers' tape (black cloth duct tape) in addition to the inner tube bits.

I have noticed that local cop bikes have one that somehow fits on the rear as opposed to the traditional position.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freeranger
    For mtn biking-too dangerous--wouldn't want a stand to come down when hitting a root, rock, whatever!
    Road bikes-don't know-but it's the one part which doesn't seem to have ever been subjected to new technology-they are the same today as I remember them from over 40 yrs. ago. Would seem someone would have come up with a "stealthy carbon fibre, disappear into the frame" type stand somewhere along the line.
    Good point.

No bike that is taken off road should have a kickstand. It's dangerous.

A kickstand on a roadbike, OTOH, just seems to be an offense to reason and wisdom.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've gone without one on my Bridgestone for 20 years now. And, yes, it has fallen a number of times because of it. The last time being last week when my wife bumped it over and into my Trek, which fell into my Sun recumbent, leaving all three sprawled on my garage floor.

The Trek hybrid I picked up last fall does have a kickstand and I have used it 20+ times already.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We put kickstands on the hybrids, Townies, and kids bikes at our shop.
    Any other bike (interpretation = respectable bike) you gotta ask for one.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

ReNewing Rider
    My Bikes
    old 10-speed...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace
    I just put a kickstand on my Jamis Coda commuter. Think it is a great idea and am considering putting one on my road bike.....but I am 'Fred' personified.
    I'm definitely a Fred too but I'm still riding alone. I'll probably de-Fred somewhat if I start riding with others (especially in what I wear to ride - thin cotton workout pants over a chamois briefs and a T-shirt).

Who sells kickstands online? Not Performance.com.

It's a sad fact of life that I'm off my bike way more than I'm on it. I keep it in the house since the garage is a mess and we usually leave the door open (half hoping somebody will steal some the junk in there) and the back porch where the old 10-spd lives doesn't lock. One day I'll get that garage cleaned up and hang it up in there but for the forseeable future, it lives in my music room/office. A kickstand would be very convenient. I could take the one off the old 10-spd but it's 25 years old and somewhat corroded. It still works ok but the new bike deserves better.

My Bikes
    A Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe and a Trek hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To expand a little on my indignant outburst above, I have three bikes -- a $50 mtn. bike beater, a $500 beloved old hybrid and a $1,900 custom road bike. They all have kickstands, as I said, including the last one. When I ride, I like to stop periodically, get off and walk around and stretch, drink water, root around in my seat pack for food or Kleenex, etc., and I like the bike to be upright. I also toured once, and really needed the loaded bike to stay up and not be over on its side on the ground. Hey, they invented a way to hold up the bike, why not use it?

I've heard weight as a reason not to use them, but unless you're racing, I cannot believe that would be such a difference. I think it's aesthetic more than anything else.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    Good point.

No bike that is taken off road should have a kickstand. It's dangerous.

A kickstand on a roadbike, OTOH, just seems to be an offense to reason and wisdom.
    I had a kickstand on my Trek 3900 MTB. Just sayin'
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

ReNewing Rider
    My Bikes
    old 10-speed...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwy 40 Blue
    I think it's aesthetic more than anything else.
    That's what I'm having a hard time understanding. When did they become uncool and why?

My Bikes
    '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two thoughts:
    1) When I ride, I ride. I ride from my house or trailhead until I reach my house or trailhead again with very, very few exceptions (OK I'm busted...no, I don't ever stop for pie)
    2) Bikes on kickstands fall over. Bikes laid on their side don't fall over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast