Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Great Ride-But a missed opportunity.....

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-28-07, 03:33 PM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 685 Times in 427 Posts

Louisville, KY hosted it's annual Mayor's Memorial Day Ride event. Drew a HUGE (the news said 2500 & I was on there!) bunch of riders, from hardcore to mom, pop, kids, grandma/pop types. While the ride was decent, there was absolutely nothing going on to make those who had finished the ride want to just hang around, mingle, and meet other riders. No rider "rodeo", no courses to test bike handling skill, no raffles, noone from the tourism bureau trying to promote what the city of Louisville has to offer (we only moved here 4 years ago and have visited more art shops, etc than many we meet who were born here). I just don't get it--host an event that draws that kind of crowd, then after the ride is over--OK, time for everyone to go home!-nothing to see here, move along. Kind of disappointed that nothing was going on after the ride. Is this how other cities do their rides, or are we just lucky to have a ride, regardless of anything else after?

Last edited by freeranger; 05-28-07 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-28-07, 08:23 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That's kinda the way most of the charity centuries I ride have been, partly because everyone finishes at such different times, I suppose. Some have spaghetti feeds going on for several hours, but they seem to keep all the riders somewhat captive. This was true (minus the feed) of the century I did Saturday, and it was sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce! Seems like there should at least be someone there from the chamber handing out coupons, freebies, etc. I'm with you on this one.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 05-28-07, 09:16 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
So volunteer to organize the post ride events for next year.
Old 05-28-07, 09:29 PM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well that does seem odd if it's titled the Mayor's Memorial Day Ride. The Mayor in Philadelphia gets involved in some ride there. I never went. But he gets at least 15 seconds on the bike for the news cameras. The bike race next week in Reading, PA has the Mayor involved to announce "Gentlemen, start your engines", or whatever you yell to start a bike race. Each city does their own thing. Reading has the bike race because Trenton, NJ was tired of it and kicked them out. Go figure. Anyway I look for manned rest stops with snacks and food at end. And not all events do that. A number of them hand out goodie bags full of brochures with tourist info. That usually becomes a bother as I have to go back to the car to dump the bag.
Old 05-28-07, 11:36 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 2,199 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Louisville, KY hosted it's annual Mayor's Memorial Day Ride event. ..... Kind of disappointed that nothing was going on after the ride. Is this how other cities do their rides, or are we just lucky to have a ride, regardless of anything else after?
Try to get the bike shops to come together for next year's event. And surely the Chamber of Commerce would show up. Plan the ride near any military base or military cemetary, then you could get Veterans groups or the KY Guard involved. Heck, go ask the Mayor's office for ideas - is he up for re-election in 2008?
Old 05-29-07, 04:41 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
You could have joined the hammerheads for the Emerald Necklace, ya know
Old 05-29-07, 07:14 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 685 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
You could have joined the hammerheads for the Emerald Necklace, ya know
But then, I'd have missed all that quality family time! And it was good to see Donna hammerin'. She was rolling right along there, for someone who doesn't ride often!!