Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Safety Reflectors - On or Off?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: SAFETY REFLECTORS - ON OR OFF OR MORE
(Multiple Choices Encouraged) 1. I have kept all safety reflectors on my bike
23.60%
I have kept all safety reflectors on my bike and have added more
7.87%
I have removed my front reflectors
43.82%
I have removed my rear reflectors
40.45%
I have removed my rotating wheel reflectors
53.93%
To my knowledge, my bike is in compliance with local and state codes
23.60%
To my knowledge, my bike is in compliance with CPSC suggestions
5.62%
Other responses (please state below)
12.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-07, 09:50 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Multiple responses are encouraged.

Recently someone (I believe it was DG) stated that one of the first things they did when they got their new bike was to remove the front safety reflector.

I know that it is common practice for folks to remove wheel reflectors, but less common for folks to remove rear reflectors, and, in fact, some folks add rear reflectors.

So, I wanted to know what you do.
Multiple responses are encouraged.

I keep all my reflectors on for a couple of reasons.

1. They really do serve a safety purpose. I know that those rotating wheel reflectors are highly visible, and I know that when I am driving, there have been a number of times that they were the only way to identify a bicycle at dusk or in the dark.

2. If I were an attorney defending an auto driver against a bicycle injury claim with an issue involving bike visibility of any kind, the first thing I would do would be to have the bike inspected to see if it met state or CPSC safety requirements/suggestions. If not, and it was relevant, that would be a portion of my defense to either have the claim denied or the amount of money ameliorated and reduced.

This is now standard procedure in auto accidents involving lack of seat belt usage, and has also been used to reduce payouts when someone smokes and the smoking is related to the condition.

So, what do you do? Multiple responses are encouraged.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-29-07 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-29-07, 09:53 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Reflectors off. Blinking lights on. (not on the wheels)
Old 05-29-07, 10:16 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I removed my front reflector (good memory, DF!)

I also refuse to smoke while riding my bike. (Or while not riding it, for that matter.)

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-29-07, 10:25 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Capo and Bianchi (daytime fair weather use only):
no reflectors; (Campag. Omega rims actually do have inward-facing reflective tape strips)
For visibility, I always wear a bright-colored windbreaker, jersey, or t-shirt

UO-8 and Schwinn (occasional dusk, rain, or nighttime use):
front halogen light instead of front reflector, but have used both in combination at times;
bright rear blinkie plus big red rear reflector;
reflective tape on rear rack supports;

I do not use rear-facing pedal reflectors, because they interfere with the flip-up tabs on the backs of my pedals, making it hard to get into my toeclips.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-29-07, 10:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I removed the wheel reflectors on my LeMond but not my Gary Fisher. They're harder to get off of the Fisher. Front and rear are left on. My stock pedals came with reflectors which I lost when I swapped 'em for SPD pedals. I added the reflectors back on. I use front and rear lights when I ride in the dark and I ALWAYS wear a bright yellow jersey or windbreaker.
Old 05-29-07, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You fossils all fail at cycling mechanics 101.You ALWAYS take off the wheel spoke reflectors so the clothespins and baseball cards can be attached without interuption in tone.BZZZZZZZZZZZZ.............
Old 05-29-07, 10:43 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Funny you would ask this today, as I just removed my pedal reflectors yesterday in order to install PowerGrips on them.

But being that I don't ride on roads and don't ride at night, reflectors aren't doing anything for me.

If I rode on roads and at night, I'm sure I would be adding reflectors to my bikes.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-29-07, 10:44 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No reflectors but add front and rear blinkies if riding at dusk

2013 Noah RS
Old 05-29-07, 10:47 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
No reflectors but add front and rear blinkies if riding at dusk
Removed all reflectors And If I didn't on the MTB's then they would fall off. On the road bike All reflectors off but A rear lamp that incororates a reflector is permanently on the rear and a small blinkie on the front.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-29-07, 10:54 AM

Bikes: ICE Adventure 26FS, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My bike has all the original reflectors, plus front and rear lights and a reflective triangle on the trunk bag or panniers.

Illinois law requires a red rear reflector for night riding, even if the bike has a rear light.
(625 ILCS 5/11-1507) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-1507)
Sec. 11-1507. Lamps and other equipment on bicycles.
(a) Every bicycle when in use at nighttime shall be equipped with a lamp on the front which shall emit a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front and with a red reflector on the rear of a type approved by the Department which shall be visible from all distances from 100 feet to 600 feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps on a motor vehicle.
Old 05-29-07, 10:56 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
"Yeeesh". Just spent umteen thousand dollars on the bike and you want us to keep those cheap plastic reflectors? At least someone could make some in titanium or carbon fiber.
Old 05-29-07, 10:59 AM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All reflectors are on my Trek 5200, plus I have added a front white strobe and a rear red blinkie.
Old 05-29-07, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have removed all reflectors on all of my bikes. I make it a point to wear reflective clothing when riding at night, and I've added reflective material to my helmet. I don't really care if they see my bike, I want them to see me. Hence, if I must get off my bike on a night ride, I want to remain visible. I do ride with lights at night, but follow the same logic (I have a helmet with a light mounted on it in addition to one on the bike & I wear my blinking red lights on my clothing.)
Old 05-29-07, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
As I recall, the new bikes I've bought did not come with wheel reflectors, only F and R reflectors, which I removed.

I have a fender equiped rain bike which sports a big fat rear blinky but no front reflector.

I never ride at night, but if I did I would certainly use the proper lighting to be legal...and safe.
Old 05-29-07, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
In my state, they are not required unless you ride at night. I never ride at night, therefore have no use for them. If I rode at night, there is no question but that I'd put on at least the minimum, plus wear a hightly reflective vest.
Old 05-29-07, 05:26 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Reflectors are still on the bike that I ride most - went to a bit of trouble to fit the front reflector neatly. Why? Because it's the bike I use for 'normal' stuff as well as 'fun' stuff and is ridden in all weather conditions and light conditions. It's my belief that anyone who claims they can predict when they'll get caught in poor light is fooling themselves ... a comment which flies in the face of the next paragraph.

My fixie at the moment, is only used in fair weather and for 'fun' ie, pleasure rides and up to now, no more than half an hour in length. No reflectors at the moment. However, I plan to start using her a lot more and for longer - that may change the reflector policy.

Reflectors - they actually don't cost you anything except in the fashion stakes and while they don't replace lights, do improve your visibility if the light gets dodgy and you get caught.

Richard
Old 05-29-07, 05:29 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Tandem and mountain bike: took off the rear reflectors and replaced it with mounts for blinkies, which I use religiously at night. Also installed mounts for my Nite-Rider light with a 15W halogen lamp.

Buenos Aires: interesting. It didn't come with any reflectors. I put blinkies on the saddlebag if I ride in dim conditions. I don't ride at night with it.
Old 05-29-07, 05:54 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rear reflector on all bikes (mine, wifes, and kids) gets replaced with a "Blinky".
Front reflectors can stay (unless it gets ridden at night, then it gets replaced with a "Blinky".
Wheel reflectors stay, the weight and/or balance doesn't affect a hack such as myself, in
fact I've got three spoke reflectors per wheel on my commuter plus an inexpensive Cateye
headlight mounted on the handlebar which I switch on "to be seen" when I encounter oncomming traffic.
Old 05-29-07, 06:27 PM
W A N T E D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't post often, but I will here. I've spent a large portion of my life crawling under automobiles. I have a very healthy fear of being ground into hamburger underneath one. I therefore leave all reflectors on my bikes, and add lights, reflective tape, and sometimes more reflectors. I still ride the roads, may look Fredish, but I'm too old, and happily married to care.

Be safe!
Old 05-29-07, 06:33 PM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I"ve removed all reflectors from my bike. Donna has left all of her reflectors on. I don't ride at night, but if I was riding when it wasn't light out, I'd have blinking LED's, or ones that stayed on. I wouldn't rely on reflectors.
Old 05-29-07, 06:40 PM
Do I use too many commas?

Bikes: Giant Yukon SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My state requires front, rear, wheel, and pedal reflectors. At night front and rear lights are required of which one has to be visible from a 90 degree side view.
Old 05-29-07, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
My bike, a custom built Seven came with no reflectors installed. While I know it doesn't adhere to state and local regulations, I haven't felt the need to put them on. I have installed a red blinkey to my seat bag, and will clip a light on the front for night riding. PS, by law my bike needs a bell, but no one can hear them with their headphones in their ears.
Old 05-29-07, 08:23 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I removed the wheel reflectors but added two blinkies to my seatpost bag.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-29-07, 08:27 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Reflectors off. Blinking lights on. (not on the wheels)

+1
Old 05-29-07, 08:40 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I've kept all the reflectors on my commuter rig, even though I view them as next to useless. They represent lawyer repellent. I rely more on my CatEye LD-1000 taillight and dual DiNotte headlights. In really bad weather, (rain-of-the-40-days, snowstorms, pea-soup fog) I supplement them with additional front and rear blinkies and a safety vest. And of course, reflective geek straps whenever I'm riding with long pants.

I bought my road bike used and all the reflectors were gone when I got it. I've added my usual complement of lights (see above) since I ride at night regularly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.