Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bouncy Ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-07, 10:39 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Bouncy Ride

When I was riding up some of the steep hills this past weekend I learned I had done an outstanding job of two things:

Using the full pedal stroke
Equipping myself with a lightweight bike-especially the wheels/tires

I've gone from being a "masher" to doing a much better job of pulling through on the downstroke and upstroke with the clipless pedals. I'm doing such a good job that the front wheel was coming off the ground and bouncing along with me.

I had plenty of time to observe what was happening (remember 3 miles in 40 mins) and I made sure I wasn't pulling up on the handlebars as I was pedaling. In fact for a while I just rested my hands on top of the bars and bounced along. I noticed that I was pulling through at around 4 o'clock to 7 o'clock the wheel would come off the ground. This mostly happened when the grades were 15+%. I'll admit that it wasn't a very smooth stroke-probably pretty choppy at best..........but hey I'd already ridden 100 miles and at that point I wasn't the least bit concerned or proud about the form or how it looked!!!!

Makes me wonder if I could do enough of a wheelie to go all the way over????
Old 06-01-07, 10:48 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you need to lean forward slightly, to shift a bit of weight to the front tire.

As for your "choppy form" - on 15+% grades, hardly anybody looks smooth.
Old 06-01-07, 11:54 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Every time I'm on a 15 percent grade after 100 miles and my form begins to suffer, I usually find it satisfying to throw my Huffy down a ravine.

Last edited by Jet Travis; 06-01-07 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-01-07, 12:22 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
Every time I'm on a 15 percent grade after 100 miles and my form begins to suffer, I usually find it satisfying to throw my Huffy down a ravine.
Most places, it's against the law to throw trash to the side of the road or down a ravine.
Old 06-01-07, 12:24 PM
Banned

Bikes: roadbikes and full-suspension mountainbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A bouncy or jittery ride can be caused by too much air in the tires which actually causes them to lose contact with the asphalt even if only for a second.
Old 06-01-07, 02:54 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't find many 15% ers on the road- thank goodness- but You have just reminded me, along with SSP, that I actually rode the hill last week in the drops- hence getting the weight forward.

Now Offroad-it is just on 15% that I find that the front wheel will start to lift. That is on a more upright position so it is a matter of throwing the weight forward.. One thing we cannot do is get out of the saddle to shift weight. That is instant wheelspin and a quick stop.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-01-07, 06:28 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Great ride and check out the clipless thread. You must have been imagining the benefit of clipless pedals. The guys in this other thread have proven that there is little and maybe no benefit . In a way, it reminds me a little of the golfers who do not have the game to play blades. This maybe true for clipless pedals. You have to have the game to get the benefit. I am with you.
Old 06-01-07, 09:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to get off on a tangent......but to get off on a tangent. There is a local guy who will do half of a twenty mile ride with one foot and then the second half with the other foot. Seems a hard way to build smoothness but it works for him. Seems to have about 2% body fat.

And I'm in the rear using both feet and dying, and watching the pack move off into the distance.