Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A "lightbulb moment"

Iíve never been very good at moderation: this has led to Monday mornings at work with a few scabs and maybe a slight limp. My coworkers are not overly athletic or adventurous. I endured many comments about ďthat exercise will kill youĒ. In my heart I knew I was healthier than most of them, even the younger ones {a majority Iím sad to say**. But when youíre having trouble standing up from a chair, or enduring six months of physical therapy for an irritated IT band, they begin to sound like the reasonable ones.
    My wife and I went to a Saturday night Pittsburgh Pirates game. We arrived a couple hours early and strolled along the river on the walkway they have by the stadiums. While sitting in a sidewalk cafť having pizza {pie** and beer, waiting for the gates to open, I noticed several people with knee braces. Most of them appeared to in good health and reasonably fit, maybe a bit of trouble with stairs but overall in good shape. There were also some folks dragging around portable oxygen tanks. They did not appear to be in good health, just walking was an exertion.
    I know there are no guarantees in life, exercise and a reasonably healthy diet donít guarantee a healthy heart and lungs. And every old fart with a bad knee wasnít necessarily an athlete. But the odds are that exercise will keep the cardiovascular system going, and there are much worse aliments than a bad knee. Iíll take my chances on the bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, you're a wise man, further.

Too bad more people don't have the wisdom to make those observations.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear those drugstore knee braces at work as a preventative measure. I work behind the circulation desk at the public library and have twisted my knee there occasionally. That causes off-bike time. Can't have that! It's bad enough that work cuts into bike time.

Oh, and I also wear them on-bike all winter long since they're less than half the price of cycling kneewarmers.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.óPeter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.