Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rode our first time trial

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-07, 05:35 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

We let Hermes convince us that a time trial by tandem was very doable. We've done a number of centuries so we figured we'd expand our cycling horizons. Capt. Chris was in Europe 5/21-6/1, with nary a bike to be ridden, poor guy. So we rode our 1/2 bikes around the 34.7 km flat course on Sat., to get a feel for it and to loosen him up.

We were surprisingly nervous on Sun. morning. We rode to the event (about 10 mi. from our front door), met Hermes & Cranky Stoker, visited 3 of our club members also riding the event, and gawked at the amount of carbon fiber & aerodynamism present. Yeah, we were intimidated and definitely on the Fred side. Mostly we were determined to have fun & find out just how hard a couple of crazy 50-plus tandemistas could hammer.

Turns out we averaged 22 mph. & finished the course in 56 min. (unofficial; times aren't posted yet). What a rush! That more than made up for being passed by 4 tandems (we were third of 8 tandems; we think the last team no-showed). Those 10 mi. back home after our race were punctuated by growling stomachs. Cranky Stoker & Hermes came over for a hearty meal. Good fun & good company = good day.

We aren't too sore today but took the day off just 'cause. There's another TT in Sept.; maybe we'll actually train for that.
Old 06-04-07, 06:21 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
That's just terrific!! I bet you folks will do even better in September now you know what to expect.

We are having a Team Time Trial at Lowes Motor Speedway the end of August and there will be a few tandem teams in that as well as the regular 4 bike teams. We've said a Tandem Team will be made up of 3 bikes and the time for the tandem team is the time of the 2nd bike finishing.

It's going to be interesting to see the different teams on the track at the same time and see how they manage passing each other.
Old 06-04-07, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Rider
There's another TT in Sept.; maybe we'll actually train for that.
Darn you. Now I've got to clean the coffee off my keyboard.
Old 06-04-07, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am always impressed by those who race. Sounds like you had fun.
Old 06-04-07, 07:52 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations! Racing sounds like fun but I'm sure I would be left in the dust

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith