Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Glasses

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-07, 12:42 PM
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Glasses

My old faithful glasses gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago. The frames broke in two and I don't think that even superglue could hold them together for any amount of time.

I just made an appointment to get my eyes checked and am anticipating what to get to replace my old aviator style glasses.

A lot of my concerns are for air flow. Seems like to keep the air flow to a minimum for high speeds down hills (half of my riding is down hill) and to keep some air flow so that sweat doesn't steam things up too much(the other half of my riding is uphill) is kind of a contradiction.

Any experiences and opinions?
Old 06-04-07, 12:52 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Take it you mean cycling glasses. In that case- go quality without getting too much Bling. I used to use, and still do, Rudy Project II's. In fact I realised that I might break the frames sometime so bought a spare pair. So I had two pairs with two different coloured lens.

When I broke one pair of frames- I went to the LBS to enable me to have two pairs still. They no longer make the Project II's so tried many different frames to see what would fit as comfy. Tried Oakleys- Could not afford the ones that felt OK. Went to the cheap ones and they were Cr*p. Finished up with the latest Rudy's again. Unfortunately the spare len's do not fit from the Project II's but they are fantastic glasses. Never steam up- never give me too much wind round the eyes and other than the Sun protection- I never even notice that I am wearing them.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-04-07, 06:32 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I wear contacts with cycling sunglasses so I can't help you very much. I can very much appreciate the wind factor though. I've gone out on cold mornings wearing my prescription sunglasses and the lenses are not nearly as big as the cycling sunglasses I'd normally wear. I can really feel the cold air whipping past and under the prescription sunglasses.

Good luck finding something that works for you.
Old 06-04-07, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear prescription aviator style glasses with the titanium flexy frames, same style for years. I just got a new set of lenses, and went for the transitions. They are very nice when starting out in the afternoon and riding into dusk and finally night time. I have contacts too, but they seem to dry out really fast on the bike, even with tight fitting wraparound sunglasses.
Old 06-04-07, 08:31 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I've got a triple in my Ti frames. Someday, a Ti bike too!

I was concerned about wind when I got my Ti frames a couple of years ago. I was also concerned there might not be enough room for tri-focals in them. Neither has been an issue. The lenses are a bit smaller than the ones in my sunglasses in my avatar.