Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any Bell (ding-dingers ... not helmet) Users?

I asked the Road Cycle forum on recommendations for a nice bell ... that would look good and have a nice sound to let pedestrians know I'm approaching from behind.

I got a couple of good leads, and even some more liberal approaches ranging from air-horns to flame throwers. Since the intent is to politely acknowledge an oncoming bike to walkers ... and not to annihilate the walkers ... I thought I'd ask the 50+ gang the same question.

Know of any nice bells that I can check out?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.jitensha.com/eng/bells_e.html

Also, try this one. It's a single dinger and not really loud, but it works well with pedestrians. I use it on my hybrid for park trail rides. It sounds so out of place that people look around like "Wot the heck is that" and smile when they see you.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite is an old fashioned ding-dong bell, it must be 3-4" diameter. Never a bell on the road bike, and no one pays any attention to the cutsie bells that are about 1" or so. There is also a large spinner that sounds a bit like an old fashioned telephone ringer, but i don't like those. You have to hunt for them, and I think they are all made in China now...

Mostly i use my voice, I call out pleasantly and politely and if in a group, I tell the pedestrian how many bikes to expect. Works far better than even the bells I use.

Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought that model Incredibell and had to return it. It won't fit modern diameter bars. Here's the one I bought to replace it. Not as nice but fits.

http://www.mirrycle.com/cleverlever.htm

The Mirrycle website has a lot of bell choices.

I bought the bell for an easy group ride I was leading on a bike path a few months ago. I originally planned to take it off after the ride, but I ended keeping it on, as I've been riding some local bike paths frequently on easy training rides. I think it works a lot better than shouting "on your left". Before I got the bell, for a while I was shouting out "beep beep". That works too.

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my bells. Pedestrians seem to equate a bell with a bike and move to the right. Not loud enough to startle them, and they usually smile as I pass. Doesn't do anything for the pod people, of course. Need a truck air horn for them, I am afraid.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, yeah, me and Mrs. Road Fan use bells! First reason is that here in Ann Arbor, MUP users are much smarter than I am. If I yell "On yer left" they will conclude I need them to move to their left and graciosly allow me to pass on the right. How did they know?

So we are trying bells. She tried a two tone 4 inch Bermuda bonger, and it is just too big and clunky, even for her Breezer.

Now she uses the cute little INcredibell, and people do notice if they do not have earbud in their ears.

I use an antique Raiche ding bell, similar ot the Jitensha and VeloOrange ding bells, on my quill stem. Very French. People can't hear it too well, but then I sayh "Good Morning! Two passing!" and that seems to help.

Needing a new one for a road bike, I'd look at the VeloOrange site.

Road Fan

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the combination bell/compass that Nashbar sells is very handy if you have a poor sense of direction like I do...

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...ety%20Products
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan
    . . . MUP users are much smarter than I am. If I yell "On yer left" they will conclude I need them to move to their left and graciosly allow me to pass on the right. How did they know?
    Quote Originally Posted by waldowales
    I like my bells. Pedestrians seem to equate a bell with a bike and move to the right. Not loud enough to startle them, and they usually smile as I pass. Doesn't do anything for the pod people, of course. Need a truck air horn for them, I am afraid.
    +1. I've found a bell to be the most effective (and polite) method of letting people know I'm approaching from behind on a MUP. It seems to be less confusing to them than any form of verbal notification. I use this one:

http://www.mirrycle.com/incredibellXL.htm

And for the "pod people", or when I'm riding on the road and need to make my presence known to a cager, I use this:

http://www.abikestore.com/Merchant2/..._Code=megahorn
    Last edited by waffenschmidt; 06-03-07 at 11:02 PM.

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredibell. Got mine at REI.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Incredibell on my beater and a 3" "ding dong" bell on the tandem.

Somehow, while the bigger bell seems appropriate for a tandem, it doesn't get anything done that the smaller, less offensive sounding, Incredibell won't do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I removed my old bell from my other bike and mounted it on the Dahon. It need to be replaced since it doesn't really sound like a bell, more of goose being choked to death. It is not as loud as it did originally ringing like a true bicycle bell. So I use bell when I approach from behind or turning a corner on a bike path to alert others a bike is coming. I sure need a new one and thanks for the variety shared by the members here. It's poilte to warn pedestrians when you are approaching, they smile and greet you mostly or I say, "Thank you" after I pass.
    Last edited by wrafl; 06-04-07 at 12:29 PM.

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the one I use. You can just see it on the stem:
    http://i12.tinypic.com/53ovuwi.jpg

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrafl
    it doesn't really sound like a bell, more of goose being choked to death.
    I'm thinking there must be a good story about how you came to know what a goose being choked to death sounds like.

I also might be interested in having a bell that makes that sound.

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    I'm thinking there must be a good story about how you came to know what a goose being choked to death sounds like.

+1. That's a good one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew somehow I would get questioned by the authorities about that post. All I know, it doesn't ring at all other than producing a sound which is a cross between a duck call and a goose getting choked or chased. How's that? The bike path I regularly ride, circle a small man made lake, about 2.5 miles around where geese habitate and geese police visit the lake once a week to chase them away. You read it right, there's a geese police contracted by the town around here. I know I'll get crucified by everyone so whether you believe it or not, it's true we have a geese police force.

http://www.geesepoliceinc.com/dogs.html

http://www.manta.com/comsite5/bin/pd...3550&id=901p53

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrafl
    I knew somehow I would get questioned by the authorities about that post. All I know, it doesn't ring at all other than producing a sound which is a cross between a duck call and a goose getting choked or chased. How's that? The bike path I regularly ride, circle a small man made lake, about 2.5 miles around where geese habitate and geese police visit the lake once a week to chase them away. You read it right, there's a geese police contracted by the town around here. I know I'll get crucified by everyone so whether you believe it or not, it's true we have a geese police force.

http://www.geesepoliceinc.com/dogs.html

http://www.manta.com/comsite5/bin/pd...3550&id=901p53
    I love it! I'm so glad that I asked. So do you happen to own any Geese Police stock?

My Bikes
    Cannondale Road Warrior
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about an Incredibell? http://www.mirrycle.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love it! I'm so glad that I asked. So do you happen to own any Geese Police stock?
    I would have owned some stock if I was accepted to be the Geese Police Chief. I didnt qualify since I'm not good with Kayak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan
    If I yell "On yer left" they will conclude I need them to move to their left and graciosly allow me to pass on the right. How did they know?
    Road Fan
    You too? I finally gave up on that approach. Now I just say "Behind you" and let them pick what side they want to go, then I go on the other side. Sometimes they are paralyzed by the choice. Left? Right? Left? Right? So, they pick neither. Jeez, folks, it's not that hard to figure out. Just MOVE!
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgive the intrusion by the "whipper-snapper" On my flat bar bikes I use a Mirrycle Incredibell Brass Duet (in chrome).
    However, this came up in another bell thread:
    Japanese Bell on a Headset Spacer

This will certainly be part of my next build.

Ti #18 Senior.
    My Bikes
    Serotta Concours
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredibell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this one on my Rivendell Glorius. It's very pleasant sounding, but sometimes I have to holler at folks anyway.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I both use the Incredibell. Once before I had the bell I caught up with a couple riding slowly, one on each side of the 12' wide bike trail. As I approached from behind I slowed down and said, "I'm coming between you". The lady who was on the left, let out a shriek and ran completely off of the right side of the road while holding up both feet. I stayed behind them and somehow she veered back onto the trail and got behind her husband. As I passed I apologized for scaring her and her husband said "maybe if you had a bell you wouldn't scare people!" After not saying what I was really thinking, I replied, you are right I will get one, and he was correct. Now when I ding my Incredibell people move over and usually smile and wave.

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle
    I bought that model Incredibell and had to return it. It won't fit modern diameter bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm
    That's the one I use. You can just see it on the stem:
    http://i12.tinypic.com/53ovuwi.jpg
    Who's On First? The duel-dinger that BluesDawg recommended was a cool choice, but began thinking it would be too small to fit.

The duel-dinger apparently will mount on a widget with diameter between 21.7 mm and 24 mm. But then, how can it be mounted on a stem, with the assumption that the stem's outer diameter is quite a bit wider than 24 mm??

Soooo, would the duel-dinger fit on the vertical quill that the stem sits on? I'm not sure what the diameter of road quills are. I Don't Know's On Third...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast