Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do The Young Fear Aging?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do The Young Fear Aging?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-07, 08:48 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Normal people don't fear aging. Unless it's something in their refrigerator.
Old 06-07-07, 08:53 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terex
Normal people don't fear aging. Unless it's something in their refrigerator.
I'm just trying to figure out why I'm going bald and all the stuff in my fridge is growing fur.
Old 06-09-07, 11:01 AM

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just saw this thread, and felt I should chime in as of the "young'uns" whose outlooks you have been discussing, though my attitude may not be so typical. I speak only for myself.

I've spent my whole life in the company of people older than I. Many of my relatives lived into their 90's, and most continued working their own land into their 80's. My paternal grandmother turns 96 today, mind sharp as a tack (and a rather pointed tongue too), though the body is increasingly feeble. Yet, she is well-cared for, and finds joy in following the lives of the large family over which she is matriarch.

Even my late husband was much older than I, though we often forgot about this age difference. We played doubles tennis in a group ranging in age from 6 (and that kid had a mean topspin serve!) to 90 (wicked slices and dropshots). There was always a number of octagenarians out there playing, and one of our regular members some years back was half of the U.S. Senior Olympics national doubles championship team in his age group (85+, I think it was). I still have a number of friends in their mid-80's, all upbeat and loving life, refusing to let a slowing body slow down their learning and appreciation of life and people.

Now that I'm back into cycling again, I've discovered, with great happiness, a number of septa- and two octagenarians who ride in our local time trial series. Very animated and upbeat folks who lift my spirits.

I've seen what happens to bodies that age. I've seen what happens to bodies that are ill, and waste away. And I've cared for both. And I've helplessly witnessed death and felt the unimaginable pain of the loss of my husband which is still rather raw and intense.

But all of this, the upbeat attitudes of very elderly relatives and friends, my first-hand life experience with infirmity and death, has made me more aware, stronger, less anxious about what awaits. And, I have never felt better than now, and find that each successive decade wears on me more comfortably. I love the woman I am, and would not go back if it meant losing this self-confidence and deep satisfaction with who I am and how I feel about life. And I am watching with great curiousity to see who this woman will yet be.

I don't fear aging, but I shall not hasten it. I look forward to the next experiences coming down the road, and to loving life even more, if that's possible!

Egad! I apologize for my congenital logorrhea!