Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode our first time trial

We let Hermes convince us that a time trial by tandem was very doable. We've done a number of centuries so we figured we'd expand our cycling horizons. Capt. Chris was in Europe 5/21-6/1, with nary a bike to be ridden, poor guy. So we rode our 1/2 bikes around the 34.7 km flat course on Sat., to get a feel for it and to loosen him up.

We were surprisingly nervous on Sun. morning. We rode to the event (about 10 mi. from our front door), met Hermes & Cranky Stoker, visited 3 of our club members also riding the event, and gawked at the amount of carbon fiber & aerodynamism present. Yeah, we were intimidated and definitely on the Fred side. Mostly we were determined to have fun & find out just how hard a couple of crazy 50-plus tandemistas could hammer.

Turns out we averaged 22 mph. & finished the course in 56 min. (unofficial; times aren't posted yet). What a rush! That more than made up for being passed by 4 tandems (we were third of 8 tandems; we think the last team no-showed). Those 10 mi. back home after our race were punctuated by growling stomachs. Cranky Stoker & Hermes came over for a hearty meal. Good fun & good company = good day.

We aren't too sore today but took the day off just 'cause. There's another TT in Sept.; maybe we'll actually train for that.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's just terrific!! I bet you folks will do even better in September now you know what to expect.

We are having a Team Time Trial at Lowes Motor Speedway the end of August and there will be a few tandem teams in that as well as the regular 4 bike teams. We've said a Tandem Team will be made up of 3 bikes and the time for the tandem team is the time of the 2nd bike finishing.

It's going to be interesting to see the different teams on the track at the same time and see how they manage passing each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider
    There's another TT in Sept.; maybe we'll actually train for that.
    Darn you. Now I've got to clean the coffee off my keyboard.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am always impressed by those who race. Sounds like you had fun.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Racing sounds like fun but I'm sure I would be left in the dust
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith