Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-04-07, 07:00 PM   #1
Terrierman

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Finley River Redux

Today was not a great day until the end. I decided to celebrate my new prescriptions for an ACE inhibitor and a statin with a big fat bike ride. This genetics thing and aging combination is not always all that easy to deal with is it? Went back to Finley River country and the hill that gives me blurry vision. God what a beautiful day it was here, partly cloudy, 80, NW breeze bringing in low humidity. I rode about halfway with son Chris and his new girlfriend, and went on when they turned back (she is not an experienced rider). Nothing really remarkable to report except that I am gaining some more insight on this hill climbing thing -- no blurred vision tonight and I still got where I was going. I'm starting to adopt the attitude of what the heck, I paid for all these gears, I might as well use them. I got just over 30 in and feel much better for it. I need to take Lovey's camera along and show you folks where I ride. It''s not Colorado and surely not Pacifica, but it's not chopped liver either. I promise to try to take some pics next time.

P.S. I did ride faster tonight than ever before. 40.1 MPH. It was not all that scarey, especially compared to the statins and ACE thingies. New lard speed record.
Old 06-04-07, 07:05 PM   #2
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is that in the Branson area? If it's anywhere near, that is very pretty, and pretty hilly country as I recall.

And with all due respect to our foreign brothers (I'm not convinced California belongs in the Union), and having lived out in S.F. for two years, I think the Bluegrass can be very beautiful.
The Weak Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 08:03 PM   #3
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Glad to hear your day ended better than it started. I don't think I've ever hit 40 mph on the bike

Thankfully I've been able to avoid meds except for the one I take for osteopenia but I'm beginning to feel the effects of aging, too. Recently I've developed arthritis in my right thumb and it gave me fits until the doctor recommended wearing a brace. The brace allows me to ride without pain It's tough getting old.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 08:05 PM   #4
Wildwood

Bikes: see signature
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
And with all due respect to our foreign brothers (I'm not convinced California belongs in the Union), and having lived out in S.F. for two years, I think the Bluegrass can be very beautiful.
When I lived in California, there was always petty talk of becoming an independent country with the world's 8th largest economy. But there was more talk about Northern CA splitting from Southern CA.

and bluegrass can be beautiful, it just depends on where it is planted.
Wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 08:08 PM   #5
MichiganMike

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Also glad you had a great ending to your day. I HAVE been to Branson and that area quite a few times and it is indeed hilly. Gorgeous country.

I don't take any medicines at all. I'm a youngster in this group (54), and so far have avoided anything requiring any sort of medicine.
MichiganMike is offline   Reply With Quote