Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What Have I let myself in for????

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-07, 03:19 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Starting to plan my holiday now. Went to my LBS and ordered an 11/30 rear cassette for my trip up the slope that is only 60 miles from where I am staying in France. Found this site that has given me some hope that my preparation is going somewhere near right.

https://www.geocities.com/yosemite/rapids/3892/

Went to the cycling section on the Buttons on the left and read the report of climbing the hill. Glad I am a disbelieving soul as if I read that 6 months ago- I would be going to Holland for my holiday.

The plan is that sometime in my holiday- The wife is going to drop me at Malaucene and they can go off and sight see and meet me at Bedoin 3 hours later. Yes I am chickening out and taking the easy route up. Although I have plenty of hills in my area- many of which are 12 to 15%- They are not any longer than 1 mile, So to Climb continually for some 15 miles is going to hurt me. If I feel good after taking the "Easy" route- I may find time to get another trip to the top starting from Bedoin.

So far my training has been to take in a 50 mile route that takes in several of the hills but this has given me a total height climb of only 700 metres on say 8 of those miles. Next stage is going to do the Steepest hill and then descend it and climb again. 5 trips up and down will give me a climb of 1,000metre at 15%- albeit with a few minutes rest between each 200 metre or so climb. Just hope that the 30t cassette comes in quick.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-26-07, 04:19 PM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only a 30t cluster? My largest cog is 34t and wish I could go lower. I admire you for attempting Mt. Ventoux at any gearing.
Old 05-26-07, 05:12 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're doing the training so you can do this! Just think about all the beautiful pictures you can take at the top

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-26-07, 11:18 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
sounds like a rippin good time!

pain is fleeting, climbin the giant is forever.
...tryin to imagine a 15 mile downhill
Old 05-27-07, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do they make 48 tooth gears for the back of the bike and how slow can one go and remain upright are the two questions that immediately popped into my mind when I looked at that site.
Old 05-27-07, 09:16 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Buck up, man, buck up.

We're getting tired around here of you getting in way over your head and then whining about it to us. We're patient people but our patience is not infinite. You're an ex-Marine. I'm sure you'll make do.

Just kidding, of course. Sounds like a hairy ride. Take pictures.
Old 05-27-07, 07:49 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
Do they make 48 tooth gears for the back of the bike and how slow can one go and remain upright are the two questions that immediately popped into my mind when I looked at that site.
I find my Woodrup tourer does not like to go in a straight line when I climb in low granny (30-26 these days).

Could this be an effect of the low trail inherent in the Woodie's geometry?

Road Fan
Old 05-28-07, 12:49 AM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just found the profiles of the North and South climbs so are attached.

I think that 10 to 13 kms bit is going to get me on the North route. And the 7 to 14 on the Southern.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
south.gif (8.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: gif
north.gif (8.5 KB, 8 views)

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 05-28-07 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-28-07, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
I think the heat might become a problem. Did the climb to Sognefjellshytta here in Norway a couple of years ago (from the fjord to 1440 m) and it was a very hot day for Norway (28 celcius at the start and probably 24 at the top). I used 42-27 and that was really hard when it was around 10 %. I think even 39-30 is rather tough. I have got myself a triple 52-42-30 with a 27 rear. Much better to have a too light gear that I do not use than missing one. This at the cost of being ridiculed at the LBS by a young dude asking me if I didn't know that triples are only for whimps .
Old 05-28-07, 03:32 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I really think that the 34/50 compact chainring looks good here with the 12/27 cassette. That or the triple.
Old 05-28-07, 04:01 AM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
I really think that the 34/50 compact chainring looks good here with the 12/27 cassette. That or the triple.
Triple on front with a 30 and the 30t rear cluster is on order. Rather have a gear for emergencies than too high a gearing. I do have a 28 on the rear at present but not using it often but on this hill- I might need it--and the 30

Daft thing is the MTB is 22/32 and I don't use the 32- that is kept for emergencies aswell. But on the Tandem-48/36/24 and 11/32 rear- we use the lot. Even on the road.

I do live in a hilly area and my lbs sell about 50/50 on triples and Normal doubles. They do a good business on converting the doubles to compact doubles aswell.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-28-07, 09:14 AM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
WoWeee. Stapfam - I envy you Sir. As one of our most esteemed americans say 'Get - R - Done' !!!!
Old 05-28-07, 02:32 PM
Gios

Bikes: Pinarello Rokh, Look 586, Merckx Corsa 01

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want some company, I'll be staying about 20 km's from Ventoux from July 7 for 3 weeks. Drop me a PM if that suits or you just feel like a ride.

I did Ventoux last year from Bedoin with a 39/26. A bit stupid in retrospect, but made it up OK in under two hours. The wind at the top was the hardest part, there were 3 riders attempting the last few km's, and none of us could keep going for much more than a few hundred yards, most of that standing. FWIW, the least difficult climb, though also the longest, is from Sault. This year, I'm hoping to do all 3 climbs (though not on the same day!), weather and family holiday permitting of course.

And of course, after you go up, you get to go down. The descent to Bedoin is fantastic. A few hairpins early on, but mostly gentle turns through the forest, exhilarating stuff.

B
Old 05-28-07, 03:09 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode up there once . . . . on a motorcycle. I am no where near ready to ride something like that on a bicycle. Good luck though. I'm pulling for you.
Old 05-28-07, 03:11 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bing181
If you want some company, I'll be staying about 20 km's from Ventoux from July 7 for 3 weeks. Drop me a PM if that suits or you just feel like a ride.

I did Ventoux last year from Bedoin with a 39/26. A bit stupid in retrospect, but made it up OK in under two hours. The wind at the top was the hardest part, there were 3 riders attempting the last few km's, and none of us could keep going for much more than a few hundred yards, most of that standing. FWIW, the least difficult climb, though also the longest, is from Sault. This year, I'm hoping to do all 3 climbs (though not on the same day!), weather and family holiday permitting of course.

And of course, after you go up, you get to go down. The descent to Bedoin is fantastic. A few hairpins early on, but mostly gentle turns through the forest, exhilarating stuff.

B
Would be great but I am there from the 14th to 24th of June. Hope I find other riders attempting the hill but I will be looking forward going down into Bedoin. Whether I will feel like Going back up is probably a different matter but I hope that it will be on the Days agenda.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-10-07, 01:19 AM
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia

Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope you enjoy the "Giant of Provence" as much as I did.
Both times there was no shortage of other riders doing it.

IMHO no side of Ventoux is really "easy", but the Malaucene side does give amazing views across to the Alps, if the weather is OK

good luck and don't forget the camera

george
Old 06-10-07, 01:56 AM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jibi
Hope you enjoy the "Giant of Provence" as much as I did.
Both times there was no shortage of other riders doing it.

IMHO no side of Ventoux is really "easy", but the Malaucene side does give amazing views across to the Alps, if the weather is OK

good luck and don't forget the camera

george
Many thanks for the words of encouragement. The camera is going to be a must- but I travel out on wednesday. I have not told the wife yet but the "Tour De Dauphin" starts today and finishes on the 17th. It is in the region that I am going to so Hope I do not get involved with the pelaton going up Mt. Ventoux.

Glad that the Malaucene side gives the best views as that is the route I am attempting. I do not think the views will be what I am thinking of on the day though.

Spike Milligan