Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfume in the air

Honeysuckle starting to blossom on a morning ride. So much better than roadkill roasting in the afternoon

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How true!
    I love the flower scents on a good ride.
    Except this time of year, the smell of food grilling outdoors on an after work ride can drive me insane! Maybe I should eat first.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent observation! On a ride in the mountains a couple weeks ago I noticed the same thing. Unfortunately we're past the blooming season here and deep into roadkill season!

Oppossum season is in full bloom here. Last night I spotted 4 roadkill in all stages of decomposition on my short 20 miler.....and they did not smell like honeysuckle!!!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed it on a couple rides recently and love the smell.

Unfortunately some of it can be very invasive. There are volunteer events each year to clear it along many of the park trails and paths.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night I found out the only bad thing about a 100% tailwind. You smell dead armadillos longer. I must have passed 20 of them on my 30 mile ride.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dead deer have made me change a favorite route for a couple weeks

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by further
    Dead deer have made me change a favorite route for a couple weeks
    Skunks are the ones I dread seeing along the road. You can smell those things for weeks
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    Last night I found out the only bad thing about a 100% tailwind. You smell dead armadillos longer. I must have passed 20 of them on my 30 mile ride.
    Last week during a MTB ride, I actually saw a live armadillo. I had never seen one with the legs down before.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lilacs, honeysuckle, and wild roses are three of the most wonderful things about riding in May and June. When I try to explain to my kids why I like riding so much, this is in the top ten.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <<I must have passed 20 of them on my 30 mile ride.>>

I've often wondered why there are so many dead animals on US roads. Is it because some drivers take pleasure in killing small animals?

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    Skunks are the ones I dread seeing along the road. You can smell those things for weeks

ewe de skunke..

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artmo
    I've often wondered why there are so many dead animals on US roads. Is it because some drivers take pleasure in killing small animals?
    I think it's just the same distracted drivers that we cyclists have to watch so closely. They run over whatever is in the road, and see nothing before they hit it.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by ArtmoI've often wondered why there are so many dead animals on US roads. Is it because some drivers take pleasure in killing small animals?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent
    I think it's just the same distracted drivers that we cyclists have to watch so closely. They run over whatever is in the road, and see nothing before they hit it.
    I find they dart out into the road so quickly you often don't have time to avoid them

There is one stretch of road near my home that has woods on each side for about a half mile and deer are always crossing in this area. I've had a couple close calls even though I keep an eye out for them. I tried blowing my horn to give them warning but this just seems to bring all of them out of the woods
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a nice freshly dead raccoon on the highway when I started out on Saturday. Couldn't get a picture though I wanted to... I didn't notice any smell. There was the scent of wild mustard and various other natives and grasses in the air, though.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honeysuckle is thick around here also. So much so that it almost chokes you going by some spots! The title of the thread reminded me of when I took a young lady for a motorcycle ride years ago. She had a purse on her shoulder, and didn't notice it was hitting the spokes of the rear wheel-luckily it didn't snag it and sling her off! Anyway, it broke a bottle of perfume she had in it--a rider behind me remarked that he couldn't figure where the smell was coming from!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by further
    Honeysuckle starting to blossom on a morning ride.
    Darn, I thought this thread was going to be about riding with comely lasses.

Seriously, I attended the Horsey Hundred in Kentucky a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with the number of young fit women on the ride. And they smelled better than a lot of the guys that I normally ride with, too.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent
    I would much rather they run over animals than steer around them and into me.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The smell in my air is usually cow manure the farmers spread on their fields. It is most poignant when they are actually spreading it. Always refer to it as "fresh country air".
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really want to smell the countryside- Get out before the sun and before the cars have polluted.

Couple of years ago- Or it may have been last year- there was one section of road that has the poignant smell of Something dead for about 2 months. Turned out to be a Dead Human that had just crawled to the side of the road and fell into a ditch. The death was put down to natural causes.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    If you really want to smell the countryside- Get out before the sun and before the cars have polluted.

Couple of years ago- Or it may have been last year- there was one section of road that has the poignant smell of Something dead for about 2 months. Turned out to be a Dead Human that had just crawled to the side of the road and fell into a ditch. The death was put down to natural causes.
    I thought I could predict your responses, but still you remain a mystery...

I was pretty sure you were going to post a picture of chocolate gateaux and coffee as the ultimate aroma one can smell during a ride, and I wasn't going to disagree with you.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    I thought I could predict your responses, but still you remain a mystery...

I was pretty sure you were going to post a picture of chocolate gateaux and coffee as the ultimate aroma one can smell during a ride, and I wasn't going to disagree with you.
    Problem is that I do not get to the Cafe for coffee and Cake till about 11am. By that time my sense of smell has been deadened with the Aroma of carbon monoxide and The slurry pits from the numerous farms en route.

Now next week I go to France and I am afraid that I won't be smelling much of the country odours either. The Cote Du Rhone has to be savoured and I have just found out that there are several vineyards in the area that do Sampling and a couple of distileries are not too far away either. Just hope that the bike knows how to steer a straight line- Because I know I won't be able to. Just as long as there is not a local "Garlic" Sausage that has to be savoured as That would be bliss- Garlic sausage, french bread and a good bottle of the Local Plonk. After the sausage -It will be me that is smelling, but I won't care as long as the Plonk is in enough quantity.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swear I could smell fresh brewed coffee in the distance, but as I got closer, dead skunk in the middle of the trail. Yikes. Lost my interest for coffee that whole day. I was wistling that song, "Dead Skunk In The Middle of The Road" as I sped away. Weeks gone by before I rode that trail again last year. Anyone ever experienced that before?

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flowers around here are starting to go crazy. I love the honeysuckle also. We have tons of grapes growing around here, both for wine and grape juice. In the late summer, early fall when the grapes are ripening, it smells like a giant glass of Grape Juice. Love that smell.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrafl
    I swear I could smell fresh brewed coffee in the distance, but as I got closer, dead skunk in the middle of the trail. Yikes. Lost my interest for coffee that whole day. I was wistling that song, "Dead Skunk In The Middle of The Road" as I sped away. Weeks gone by before I rode that trail again last year. Anyone ever experienced that before?
    Yep! We had a dead skunk on one of the roads we travel on the Sunday breakfast ride. For a couple weeks we avoided that road so we could enjoy breakfast
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this thread was about riding next to The Weak Link.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast