Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hard ride. Nice reward

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hard ride. Nice reward

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-07, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hard ride. Nice reward

If it's Monday, it's off-road. So down I go to Mori Point. Again.
I'm going to keep doing it until I can get to the top in under Dr prescribed limits. I'm getting close.

Tonight, I started to understand standing up with your butt back and pulling up on the handlebars.
Not your butt pulling up, you pulling up, OK?
It really does drive your rear wheel -and power- right into the ground.
In a low enough gear, it's almost like walking up the hill. And I know I can walk up this hill.

Your upper body sure gets a nice work out climbing up rutted dirt and gravel roads.
One thing I've learned is that climbing hills on a roadie is hard but it's work. Climbing off road hills is hard but it's fun. Something about riding a road that fights back and doesn't just lie there and let you run all over the top of it. But, no matter the hill, on or off, getting to the top feels GOOD.

My reward? 3 little Dove bar ice cream rolls. One cherry with dark chocolate, one chocolate with dark chocolate and one vanilla with milk chocolate. But here's something else I'm learning... a portion is 5; I only had 3. Good boy
Old 06-05-07, 04:44 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Climbing off road hills is hard but it's fun.
We must live in a parallel universe.

One of the first axioms I learned MTBing was "Face the fork and eat the cookie". It refers to getting your face so close to the handlebars on steep climbs (to keep from letting the front wheel lose contact with the ground) that it feels that you're going to take a bite out of your front tire.

I can do it and get up some climbs I have trouble walking up, but enjoy it? Never.
Old 06-05-07, 04:50 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
If it's fun, you aren't going fast enough!

Not really. But a lot of the guys I see at the races see it that way. When it stops being fun, I'll find something else to do.
Old 06-05-07, 05:59 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep these riding tips coming By the time I get my mountain bike on the trails I should at least have some idea of what to do.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-05-07, 09:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
We must live in a parallel universe.

One of the first axioms I learned MTBing was "Face the fork and eat the cookie". It refers to getting your face so close to the handlebars on steep climbs (to keep from letting the front wheel lose contact with the ground) that it feels that you're going to take a bite out of your front tire.

I can do it and get up some climbs I have trouble walking up, but enjoy it? Never.
No, I guess I'm still not quite doing it right, then...

Don't look for tips from me, Beverly, I'm still figuring it all out, myself.
Old 06-05-07, 11:09 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
MTBing is that kind of sport.

For going up, "Face the fork and eat the cookie."

For going down, "Buff them 'rhoids".
Old 06-05-07, 12:54 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
We have a hill called Killer hill. It is tricky but On a good day- I can climb it. Nothing better than getting the Youngsters to go up first and as they fall off- you overtake them. Get to the top and it is get off the bike before I fall off time. Mind you- by the time they have dragged their bike Up- I have recovered and just take the accolades on how much skill and leg power I have. After that it is straight off the hills and I am in cooling down mode for the 10 miles Home- Or that is my excuse.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-05-07, 01:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy moley... I just figured out that the last 265 feet of my "easy" climb to the top of Mori Point is 26% !!

I did a 600' 23% climb on pavement a couple of months ago and that was pretty tough. Doable, but tough (of course that was before I found out I was killing myself). This is 3% steeper on ground that moves. No wonder my HR jacks way up at the end. I'll be going along just fine, 145... 147...151... 153... 156... 168!

Two deep "huffs" at the top and it starts coming right back down again.
But, 26%... no wonder my thighs hurt today

Last edited by SaiKaiTai; 06-05-07 at 03:07 PM.