Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took the plunge on a build project...

Hope I know what I'm getting into. Last night I ordered a NOS 2005 Jamis Eclipse frame. I really like the idea of steel and carbon together, and the laser cut lugs are just retro looking enough to get my juices flowing. My intent is to take the full 9 speed Ultegra group I've got sitting around and build up the bike with this stuff. While excited about the prospects, I'm also a bit nervous wondering if I just did a mid-life crisis kind of thing.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to post some pics of the build in different stages! I know I enjoy seeing a bike built up, and hearing about how different little "situations" popped up, and were solved. No, it's not a mid-life crisis thing. I enjoy working on my own bikes, just never built one up (well, I have replaced everything on my mtn bike at one time or another, but I don't count that-guess I could, though).

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like fun. What kind of wheels are you planning to use?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freeranger
    Be sure to post some pics of the build in different stages! I know I enjoy seeing a bike built up, and hearing about how different little "situations" popped up, and were solved. No, it's not a mid-life crisis thing. I enjoy working on my own bikes, just never built one up (well, I have replaced everything on my mtn bike at one time or another, but I don't count that-guess I could, though).
    And be sure to post detailed instructions with the pics. Who knows, maybe I'll learn enough to do a little work on my bikes
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Outstanding. I'm looking forward to the results. Become familiar with the online Park tools how to site. It is a wealth of info and pictures of how to.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx
    Become familiar with the online Park tools how to site. It is a wealth of info and pictures of how to.
    +1
    Also the Bicycle Mechanics forum at BF can be a great way to access some very experienced and helpful mechanics (and a few opinionated jerks).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    Sounds like fun. What kind of wheels are you planning to use?
    I've got a set of Mavic Open Pros on Ultegra hubs I was planning to use.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sure have a lot of nice parts just sitting around! What don't you already have?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose its the mechanic in me, but given a choice- and the money- This is the way to get a new bike. All the parts personally chosen by you so if it turns out to be a Bu**er- there's only one person to blame. Now I wonder if I can get the XTR drivetrain onto a 32oz Steel frame.

Have to agree about the pics. Particularly the pics of the Crankset going through the window because you went a bit too tight on Bottom Bracket width and it just will not line up. Or the pics of the Blood gushing out of the hand as it scraped across the new Sprockets-

Hate to say it- but been there and done that and it is the only way to get a bike that you can say- "It's Mine"
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what it's susposed to look like. We'll see when it gets here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always liked working with tools, and working on a bike was a lot easier then the car. Not to mention I could do the work in the family room. Building your own bike will be very satisfying. That said, depending on how much your really want to do everything, my first tip would be to get the bottom bracket and crank you want, and let your LBS install the bottom bracket at least. You will need a special socket or wrench to install BB. I got tool and did so on first build with no problem, but on second build I cross threaded BB, resulting in a destroyed BB and the LBS to remove BB and clean threads in second build. Other then that, everything else was a piece of pie.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the ride quality is anything near the 2004 Eclipse(carbon rear end & 853) you are going to love the bike. All day comfort. I really think the Eclipse is/was one of the best values out there. The combo of steel and carbon just offends some of the steel is real people. Until you ride one that is! And it weighs in at just over 18 lbs with bottle cages, computer and pedals.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Turk in my neighborhood, not a man of means by any means, gradually assembled parts as his budget allowed: Salsa Campion frame, some mega-expensive Campy groupo, Krysilium wheels, carbon fiber everything, and in the past two months he assembled it. It was a work of art, absolutely gorgeous. Other than my own store-bought stock bike it was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

So I say go for it. And pics. Don't forget the pics. Lots of 'em.

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm turning green with envy here.
    I wish I had that kind of stuff lying around my workshop.
    Looking forward to the pics.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having built only one new bike from the bare frame (the UO-8), but having rebuilt numerous used bikes (including both Capos), I strongly endorse your project.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any progress to report? Pictures please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    Any progress to report? Pictures please!
    I'm currently out of town for the remainder of this week, but will try to get a photo of the final build when I get home.... assuming I remember.

The bike turned out much better than I could have hoped for. I've got almost 1200 miles on it now, and it is the bike I'm riding the most these days. I can't explain it, but the ride characteristics of this bike are impressive. It really is the best of both worlds. The steel gives the liveliness I like from steel and the carbon deadens the vibrations quite well. The bike is not as laid back as my S-Works Roubaix, but seems to be as comfortable and climbs almost as well, but without that hollow plastic feeling I get with full carbon frames. I've done one century on it and had no problems with it. I went with a 9 speed Ultegra group and wish I had gone with a 10 speed, but it's only a minor thing at present. Finally, I love the look of the laser carved steel (fake lug look) when I look down at it while riding. It just flat out makes me smile.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    While excited about the prospects, I'm also a bit nervous wondering if I just did a mid-life crisis kind of thing.
    So what if you did?

My worst nightmere is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about how "sensible" dad was. Don't you feel an obligation to leave them with a more interesting legacy?

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

My worst nightmere is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about how "sensible" dad was.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer