Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sad news

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 06:30 AM
Flying & Biking Member

Bikes: TREK 2005 Navigator 200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sad news

I just read in this morning paper of an "experienced" rider getting killed crossing a busy highway near Muncie, IN. Joe Rogers, was 81 years old and typically rides the Cardinal Greenway (a rails to trails path) every day. He rode the path between Gaston & Muncie, a 20 mile ride. This path is well marked and has gates to indicate to cyclists that the roads are near. I can't understand how this would happen to this former educator.

This does serve as a reminder to all of us to take a second or even third look before crossing roads. This particular highway--SR 28 is very busy, but until now very few incidents have been reported to Greenway officials. Please watch out for others as you ride!

Please keep his family in your prayers too.

Old 06-08-07, 07:15 AM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. Too often I get sloppy when it comes to looking before crossing roads. I need a reminder once in a while. Thanks