Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bovine encounters

Huffing and puffing my way up a fairly long, steep climb past a dairy farm. Right by the road a small pasture had a bull with his harem of about a dozen heifers. The bull was about 50 feet back from the fence, in front of the heifers. I don't think he knew what to make of me, all bright spandex, huffing away, right past his ladies. But he knew he wasn't sharing, he pivoted though at least 120 degrees to keep his runny, red eyes on me. I thought about the scene in "Michael" where John Travolta does "battle" with a bull, but I already have a wife and wouldn't want to explain to the farmer what happened, so I just kept puffing up the hill.

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this thread from a few months ago -
    You think Dogs are bad........
    It seems that animal encounters come with the biking lifestyle, some more adrenalin inducing than others. Be VERY glad El Toro was on the other side of the fence.
    "In my cathedral,
    colored glass holds no candle to
    sunlight through trees."
    -- Leon Briggs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your lucky, how about this dairy farm experience: riding down a country road and out pulls a tractor with a cow poop spreader. Largest one I have ever seen. Guy swings out of the lane and up a hill to the field. Out over the top comes about 100 gallons of the fowlest smelling brew ever. All over the road.

I was lucky to be back enough to slow down prior to this environmental disaster. No one got a shower but the sinus were cleared out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats awful. Were you alone or in a group, was there room yo go around the spill or did you have to pick your way through?

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear. Is anyone else reminded of the old joke about the 'old bull and the young bull' ?

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a kid I actually got chased by a bull that ran right through the barn wall to get to me. When, my uncle (the bull's owner) found out, he said it was time to take 'em to the butcher's shop. Wouldn't you know it, there wasn't a cut of meat on that old bull that wasn't tough.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very moooving story.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis
    A very moooving story.
    It brought tears to my eyes, too Especially oilman's tale of the fowl smelling brew on the road.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith