Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Brad & I'm a bike-aholic...

Not to belittle or demean the other 12 step programs, but my neighbor suggested to me last night that I consider joining a 12 step program to deal with my bicycling obsession. He caught me coming in from a ride at the tail end of a heavy rain storm, and commented that I must have been on quite a long ride to get caught in this particular storm. He shook his head in disbelief when I told him I left for the ride after the rain had already started. That's when he said, "You know there are 12 step programs that might help you." I seriously doubt if he's right. I get stuck with step one --- I don't think I have a problem! As I was drying off the bike I wondered how many of us 50+ers would give the appearance to the uninformed, non-riders we know that we are in need of such a program.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luckily, no one saw this except my wife and daughter, but last night there I was all dressed in my biking garb, standing in the garage door with bike, waiting for the thunderstorm to pass so I could take off. I'm sure the people driving by that noticed probably thought I was a wee bit off kilter.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they ever offer such a program for biking obsession I'll have to pass I enjoy every minute I'm out of the bike. I must enjoy it as I rode in rain Sunday and Monday and 20 mph winds last night.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some of my "normal" neighbors need a 12 step program to get a life.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx
    Some of my "normal" neighbors need a 12 step program to get a life.....

You mean one without a remote control in their hands?
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they ever offer such a program for biking obsession I'll have to pass I enjoy every minute I'm out of the bike. I must enjoy it as I rode in rain Sunday and Monday and 20 mph winds last night.
    It's why even while I write this and am traveling this week that I have a bike with me to ride tonight when I finish up for the day. Even have the ride scoped out. I never leave home without one (except in the winter of course).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are doing rides when there is a lot of lightning in those storms you would be giving the appearance to the informed riders we know that you are in need of such a program.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rule
    If you are doing rides when there is a lot of lightning in those storms you would be giving the appearance to the informed riders we know that you are in need of such a program.
    Only rain....storms are a whole different situation
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Neighbours have stopped talking to me- When they see me getting ready for a ride- I can see the curtains move- but the Lights are out and the doors are barred. This stems from a couple of months ago when I managed to talk one of them into coming out for a drink one evening to a local pub about 5 miles away up a MUP. I think he must have been drinking beforehand so it was not all my fault. We got to the Pub after about 45 minutes and the last 15 minutes of the ride- he was all over the trail and when we got to the pub- it took him a long time to get off the bike. When he did get off it- He threw it on the ground and muttered something about never again.

He has told all the neighbours not to talk to me if I am anywhere near a bike or dressed in Shorts.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'm already cured, because I stay home until the pavement dries.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent
    Maybe I'm already cured, because I stay home until the pavement dries.
    We've had a lot of "scattered showers" in the area the past few days. It can be pouring down rain but a mile or so down the road it will be bone dry with the sun shining. It really makes it tough to dress for these types of rides
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    my reply . It felt great. Rain washes all the pollutants and salts away. Maybe we could start up a bikes obsessives club and all ride together and never get past step one.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now as to that rain--- Just rain and I will ride- Rain with Wind- Forget it.

Last year we went out on the Tandem and did cut a ride short. It was raining when we started and it rained right through the shortened ride. What made us shorten the ride was when the sky was suddenly very bright- continually. It was a night ride incidentally. The Lightning was almost constant and we did not need lights. Right up on top of the hills and the only metal thing to act as a conductor would have been our frame. Cut the ride short that night and missed out on our Sub. Had to make do with a pie (Steak and Kidney) and a pint of the local brew.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my wife believes that I have a problem or I should say she makes it a problem for me at times
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"

Senior Cyclist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My doctor and my wife both say my biking is an addiction. I get high from the exercise and the scenery adds to it. But they tell me there's worse....

When I'm on my bike I don't feel like I'm 65. I even rode with a 25-year-old the other day, and he was a lot faster. But all those aching joints and senior grumpiness disappeared.

Sure, city biking is dangerous, but I just can't stop.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not an addiction. Addictions are a cop-out for those with a weak character.

If I go more than two days without biking, I get goose-flesh, the shakes, start seeing snakes and spiders in my room, start talking to them. I get the Jones bad, ya know. But I ain't no stinking addict. Not me.

My Bikes
    Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbiker
    When I'm on my bike I don't feel like I'm 65.
    When I'm on my bike I don't feel like I'm 65 either. Oh, wait a minute. I'm only 60.

But you really are right. Exercise in general (and biking in particular) does make you feel younger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my annual (well bi annual, maybe tri annual) physical yesterday.

Told the doc I biked 140 miles past week.

He just could not believe it, but did fess up that he had one other patient that rode like I did.

He did NOT recomment the 12 step bicycling addiction program, however.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-06-07 at 04:05 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not bike-aholic, all I bought, so far, were 6 bikes and looking to buy another one. The problem I have, I keep giving them away. I just gave my son my Trek FX to make room for a road bike. Then I'm done, I hope, or my wife does anyhow.
    George

My Bikes
    '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I'm Brad & I'm a bike-aholic"...

Hi! Brad (in unison).
    I don't mind riding in the rain, I just take the turns a little slower. It's only water, it's not like there are rocks falling out of the sky. It's also less crowded on the rail trail (or anywhere else I ride in the rain for that matter).

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's not an addiction. It's something we enjoy.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    I'm not bike-aholic, all I bought, so far, were 6 bikes and looking to buy another one.
    And was that over a 40 year period? Or perhaps one just a wee bit shorter?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    It's not an addiction. Addictions are a cop-out for those with a weak character.

Trust me, it's an addiction. Just probably not a bad one. If youtalked to my neighbors, which i don't, I am sure they think I am not only addicted, but also crazy. Here is a pic taken when it was -3F outside and i just got back from a 2 hour ride. (note the frozen perspiration.)

There have been much worse conditions than this, that they have seen me ride off into.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Portis
    Trust me, it's an addiction. Just probably not a bad one. If youtalked to my neighbors, which i don't, I am sure they think I am not only addicted, but also crazy. Here is a pic taken when it was -3F outside and i just got back from a 2 hour ride. (note the frozen perspiration.)

There have been much worse conditions than this, that they have seen me ride off into.

Where's the bike???
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Portis
    Here's an avatar (100x100) for you. Might want to lighten it up a bit.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast