Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Riding Today!!

Wind at 32 mph, gusting to 41. Guess I will chicken out. That is when the fun leaves the bicycling!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Wind at 32 mph, gusting to 41. Guess I will chicken out. That is when the fun leaves the bicycling!

Do not send those winds east, Dnvr.

It's a good idea to stay out of high winds....more than "fun" could be leaving the bike
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear ya Denver. I got out this morning at around 0530 before the wind really kicked up. It was doing about 21 mph before I finished though. Should be gusts above 40 mph today and tonite.
    Just Peddlin' Around

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raining here, does not look good for a ride.

About wind, how come I am always reading in various forums about guys riding at 20+mph into a 20mph headwinds? I had a couple of miles last night into a 15mph headwind and I was competely gassed trying to even maintain 15-16mph. If I look at the power it takes to go say 21mph in a 15mph headwind with a 140lb rider it comes out to like 462watts when riding in the drops. Are these people just overestimating the wind speed or can they really maintain like 500-600 watts. That is like sustaining 32mph in no wind
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    Do not send those winds east, Dnvr.

It's a good idea to stay out of high winds....more than "fun" could be leaving the bike
    I'm sitting here a huffin and a puffin, blowing them away and into your state!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd

About wind, how come I am always reading in various forums about guys riding at 20+mph into a 20mph headwinds? I had a couple of miles last night into a 15mph headwind and I was competely gassed trying to even maintain 15-16mph. If I look at the power it takes to go say 21mph in a 15mph headwind with a 140lb rider it comes out to like 462watts when riding in the drops. Are these people just overestimating the wind speed or can they really maintain like 500-600 watts. That is like sustaining 32mph in no wind
    I was in a continuous headwind yesterday, and it just totally zapped me. Wind is no fun!

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd

+1
    I rode this last weekend in high wind and I had to be going downwind to sustain speeds over 20 for a reasonable distance. Upwind felt like a dead stop. 34/26 and struggling to keep going.